How to Control Renoise with Android?

Hi Renoisers,

I’m putting together a live performance where I want to trigger Renoise patterns using my Android smartphone mounted to my guitar. I want to basically loop pattern 0 until I tell pattern 1 to start playing – like clicking the leftmost buttons on the pattern editor.

It seems like there are lots of ways to do this, but I’ve never been able to successfully make it work. I can’t find an app for Android that plays nice with Renoise’s OSC features.

I don’t know if I should hardline USB from my phone to my Mac laptop or if I can do it more elegantly via WiFi or Bluetooth?

Also, I don’t know if I should be using Duplex, Grid Pie, or simply mapping MIDI clicks on the keyboard for triggering patterns. What do you do?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial for doing this?

Thanks- T

I replied over on Reddit (after suggesting you post here : ) ).

Summary: Use TouchOSC and some custom OSC handlers added to your local copy of GlobalOscActions.lua

Some code for said task:https://gist.github.com/Neurogami/05094732eff92c161f4ee99df62365f4

As best I can tell TouchOSC always sends values along with its OSC message This can prevent default Renoise OSC handlers from working if they are not defined to accept those values (e.g. stop/start transport OSC does not take any values).

The handlers I wrote accept the values sent from TouchOSC and then ignore them.

If I’m wrong about TouchOSC always sending values for things like button presses I’d love to know. Maybe it’s a quirk of the Android version.