Renoise 3.1 crashing when loading new Song (MacOS)

This is annoying.

Everytime I load a new Song into Renoise, it crashes on my Mac OSX (Sierra) Machine. But it was just for the last few days. I changed nothing special, just added a few VSTs. I can’t remember the last statement in the bottom info panel, but I think it was something like “…closing song…” … well, I don’t know. I’m on the road and will check tomorrow.

Anybody knows such problem on an actual Mac system?

Check the log file: “Help->Show the Log File …”

I checked the log and the last entry was:

Application: Releasing the old document…

After that i tested something and deleted my template song and after that everything went normal. I was able to load another song. It seem as if there’s is a problem with the template.

I find some VST/AUs give Renoise a hard time for some reason. If something problematic is autoloaded in the template then it could ruin it. It’s been a slight bummer but I just work around it. It also forces me to use the render sample button more which is a good idea usually to clean things up.

Renoise became unstable since macOS 10.12 (or 10.9 even) in combination with a bunch of plugins. Those plugins work great in other DAWs, so Renoise is to blame here. I have the following best practice tips:

1. Some plugins may not load at first try (but will load on second try!, or VST version will load after loading the AU version first, e.g. Korg). In this case, place the plugins (or AU versions) into your template song. Yes, on every start of Renoise an error will appear then. But all your songs will load again afterwards.

2. Some plugins crash randomly at song load (new with 10.12. 5++ ). Like in your template song, try to load it multiple times (here it works sometimes at 3nd try).

3. Some plugins will hang and also cause Renoise not to exit properly (since 10.9). Then enter the following into the terminal, to kill all belonging processes:

killall -m Renoise
  1. Some GUIs will not open at all or do not update (e.g. TAL 32bit/no update or PSP plugins/no gui). In this case try to use the no-gui sliders. Add a remark to the plugin name like “NO GUI!!”.

Ok, I’m sure there was a problem with any VST. I don’t know which one caused the crash. But since I got rid of the template everything seems ok.