#1 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 00:55

Anyone here got a Volca Sample?

I was thinking of getting one but there's nowhere local that sells them where I can try one out.  I have a question about the filter because Korg have labelled it a "High-Cut Filter" and I'm wondering why they've done that.  Does it filter the sound down to nothing (or nearly nothing) like a typical low-pass filter would, or is it some weedy filter that only cuts-off the higher frequencies?

In a nutshell, can I expect it to behave as if it were labelled "Low-Pass Filter"?

#2 Carbonthief

Carbonthief

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1077 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:36

It's just a normal low pass filter.

#3 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2427 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 30 August 2017 - 16:26

Anyone here got a Volca Sample?

I was thinking of getting one but there's nowhere local that sells them where I can try one out.  I have a question about the filter because Korg have labelled it a "High-Cut Filter" and I'm wondering why they've done that.  Does it filter the sound down to nothing (or nearly nothing) like a typical low-pass filter would, or is it some weedy filter that only cuts-off the higher frequencies?

In a nutshell, can I expect it to behave as if it were labelled "Low-Pass Filter"?

If i succeed with my project i'll show you how you can make your own sampler. :P

Join the Mutant Breaks #10 competition: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/50588-mutant-breaks-10/

Deadline: Sunday, December 10th, 2017.   :badteethslayer: 

#4 todd_r

todd_r

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 17:23

Low Cut/High Pass two ways of saying the same thing.

#5 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 22:12

Thanks for the heads-up peeps :)

I know about High Cut and Low Pass being the same thing.  That was the reason for me asking about it because it made me wonder why they didn't just call it a Low Pass Filter like they normally do.  I noticed the filter doesn't even have a resonance control, so that made me even more dubious about it.

Anyway, good to hear it's at least a proper Low Pass Filter.

TheBellows, well ok then, I'll wait to see what you come up with :P :D

#6 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2427 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 02 September 2017 - 15:28

TheBellows, well ok then, I'll wait to see what you come up with :P :D

In theory it should work pretty much like a Volca Sample i think, but it's probably going to sound like horse shit in comparison. Mostly because i'm using the cheapest recording modules that costs about $1.50 each that i'm going to circut bend into playing very low sample rates. You could of course buy better modules in your project though. :P

I have silly ideas like putting radio stuff in there, like FM transmitters and FM receivers to transmit the audio wirelessly inside the box, just for creating extra noise and weirdness. I'm hoping to make it so that all the radio stuff will be creating a lot of electromagnetic fields so that they will start interacting with the other circuits, creating unexpected and strange noises. I also have an idea of making a theremin using three AM radios, which should be super easy according to youtube. The box is getting bigger every day and i haven't even started building it. yet. :D

I think a package with the voltage regulators is at the post office now, so i'll pick them up at Monday and then i can start building it. I haven't found the perfect case for it yet, maybe i'll just make my own with some wood and some aluminium sheets that i ordered recently.

• Denim likes this

Join the Mutant Breaks #10 competition: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/50588-mutant-breaks-10/

Deadline: Sunday, December 10th, 2017.   :badteethslayer: 

#7 Denim

Denim

• Normal Members
  • 1030 posts
  • Interests:soundcloud.com/novadope

Posted 02 September 2017 - 20:04

wow this sounds very interesting :) keep us updated!
  • TheBellows likes this

soundcloud | studio 

join in ---> renoise user map

#8 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 14:56

The mental picture I have of TheBellows' sound machine is some crazy-looking cyber-punk thing with exposed circuit-boards and wires.  Has knobs and switches placed at random angles, rusty metal plates held together with random sized nuts and bolts, and has a sexy female computer voice that says "Hey, big boy, let's make some noise!" every time you switch it on :D

• TheBellows likes this