8 replies to this topic

#1 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 00:16

Feel really dumb for having to ask this but I installed some tools by dragging them onto Renoise a while back.  Can't even remember where I found the instructions to do that but it worked, and now I cannot find anything on how to actually access the tools I installed.  They're not listed under the tools menu or anything.  I installed that FM synth and some other thing I can't remember the name of now, but neither of them are showing anywhere in the program, so how do I access and use these things?

#2 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6722 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:35

some tools can only be accessed through keyboard shortcuts or right mouse click menu's, any instructions in the tool threads?

#3 hmā

hmā

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:54

+ maybe check Application Data\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools folder for tool names and check their pages for how they work...tool management really sucks in renoise, would be great to have some kind of tool explorer included

#4 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:59

some tools can only be accessed through keyboard shortcuts or right mouse click menu's, any instructions in the tool threads?

To access with a keyboard command, it is necessary first that the user registers the command. Then, you need to know the tool, to know that it is installed. Renoise does not allow the tool's creator to assign a keyboard command to invoke a tool. The user must do this (I guess that works well to avoid conflicts between commands).

...tool management really sucks in renoise, would be great to have some kind of tool explorer included

That is not true! If a tool does not appear in the list it is because it is "poorly written" or missing something of code. Renoise does not have to adapt to the "vices" of each tool. It is the tool that must comply with certain "norms". The most basic is that the tool is well defined, if it is a window, it should appear in the list of tools (the creator must write "some code" for this to happen), but I suggest uninstalling the tool.

It can also happen that the author of the tool does not maintain it, for new versions, it is an old tool, not optimized for the latest version of Renoise. But that does not depend on Renoise. If there are updates, it's because there must be updates, and the tools update them too, but there is no progress.

A well defined tool appears where it should appear. If it does not appear, it is because the author causes it not to appear (I doubt it's on purpose).

:excl: Development of my tool: GT16-Colors

:excl: My API wishlist R3.1 (updated 24 July 2017):

Spoiler

:excl: My Renoise 3.1 wishlist (updated 26 September 2017):

Spoiler

#5 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1045 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:05

...would be great to have some kind of tool explorer included

Renoise has a great tool explorer! At the initial installation of Renoise, some tool-related links are hidden. The interested user must enable it...

Read the following comment (point 3): http://forum.renoise...e-4#entry359113

Edited by Raul (ulneiz), 06 September 2017 - 13:15.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6474 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:49

Renoise has a great tool explorer! 

I would simply point to Tools > Tool Browser to begin with. It's already there.

At least, you can then see which tools are installed, and (hopefully), a few instructions on how they work.

Whether you have these instructions is up to the tool author - but this is really THE place to put such information...

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#7 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1045 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 13:14

I would simply point to Tools > Tool Browser to begin with. It's already there.

At least, you can then see which tools are installed, and (hopefully), a few instructions on how they work.

Whether you have these instructions is up to the tool author - but this is really THE place to put such information...

Yes, maybe they prefer to activate the rest of access features for tools in this menu. Perhaps the complaints come more closely related to the size of the window, which is not resizable and is narrow. Here I agree. Like the preferences window or the MIDI Map window are very small, it could be wider. Otherwise, locating a tool is very simple, it is sufficient for the programmer to make the correct code and even the name of the author appears...

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 15:24

Thanks all, I just tried what hma said and it looks like they were never installed in the first place, cause all I can see in there are those two update related tools (and those two do show in the menu).

I'll just have to find the tools again, install them a different way next time.  And BTW, I just found a whole bunch of tools.  And after spending some time in the other area of the forum I found a bunch of stuff I didn't even know was tools.  Like XStream for example, the way people were talking about it in that RAS thread, I thought it was some sort of programming language.  I just realised it's a tool for Renoise :P

Never mind ... I'm getting there :D

#9 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:42

This is working now, thanks peeps!