#1 TheBellows

TheBellows

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 11 September 2017 - 18:50

I made this thread because i recently started working on a DIY project that i thought i should share with you. The goal is to make a useful sampler sequencer using easy methods and cheap parts. 

Here is the basic idea for the main unit:

S63hGGn.jpg

This is just the core idea so far. The final unit should have several preamplification stages with tone controls, possibly a tube preamp for the final stage, reverb/echo/delay in some form, ring modulator and a robot/pitch/vibrato voice modulator.

It should have the possibility to record from the arduino, through a microphone and a line in jack. Maybe i'll add a theremin if i can make it work or gets room for it in my box.

Not yet decided on the casing, but i have a wooden box from IKEA that might do the job.

I'll keep you updated on the project when i have something interesting.

• Neurogami likes this

#2 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2363 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 22:44

Hmm..double post.

Edited by TheBellows, 11 September 2017 - 23:04.

#3 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2363 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 22:45

Let's start off with a modification of the ISD1820 module:

bjrgem9.jpg

AP9VAwQ.jpg

PJwFO3O.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed it was not a 2K2, but a 100K resistor and that's quite a difference. 2K2 is too low and will result in awful quality recordings.

Edited by TheBellows, 11 September 2017 - 22:49.

#4 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 16:51

You are quite magical, Bellows, being able to change your audio recording board to the same one as mine just like that!

It makes learning a lot easier as well :D

• TheBellows likes this

#5 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2363 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 18:19

Yeah i'm not shure wat happened there? :P

I got my Rpi some days ago and i have done a little bit of research and checked out what's possible, but screen resolution is low, so it's a bit limited for games and such. Raspbian worked well after fixing the screen res, which is a bit odd 800x480. Windows 10 for Rpi is basically just an empty shell, so will only be useful for developers.

I read about a way to use the rpi pwm output and use that as a control voltage. The signal is not good for other uses as it's duty cycles aren't consistent, but i think it can work as a on off clock signal for syncing the sequencer.

I have ran out of terminal connector cables, so i'm waiting for refreshments and can't really do much without those. So far i have mounted another module on the back of the above module, so that i got two in one. I also found a temporary box for this module and also added a voltage regulator module so it's pretty much self contained. I have the pots and switches i need, but i need the cables and also some suitable drill bits for the mounting. 

I basically need to make 4 of these boxes and one for the sequencer. I'm considering to drop the Rpi and make it use other analogue sources and microphone or whatever. I hope i get the AM radio kits soon, then i'll be able to see if this '3 AM Radio Theremin' thingy works. Also i hope to get room for the synth chips i ordered a short while ago. It has noise and sine output, so it should work well for some percussive sounds, though it doesn't appear to have a built in filter.

When i come to think of it i rather want my pi as a standalone unit with possibilities to add functions as i'm learning. Maybe i can turn it into its very own audio mixer, fx box, oscilloscope

or whatever. :)

I imagine latency would suck pretty bad though, but the pwm can be controlled in realtime so i can probably still use it for syncing different future projects.

#6 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2363 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 18:19

hmm, double post it seems....

Edited by TheBellows, 21 September 2017 - 18:21.

#7 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 00:17

The RPi is the least interesting aspect of this for me, I'm much more interested in seeing what you come up with regards the sound modules, synth chips, and radio stuff.  Haven't thought about it too much, but if I were going to use a development board in a project like this, personally I would have gone for the Arduino cause it means there's no OS to get in the way of what you program, and the pin connectors.

Edited by Renoised, 22 September 2017 - 00:18.

#8 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2363 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:18

The Rpi can be used for a lot more though, i can run apps on it and program directly on the device. It should be possible to install dosbox on it too, so i'm hoping i can run some old trackers on it.

I can also hook it up with an arduino later and program the arduino from the Rpi.

Edited by TheBellows, Yesterday, 11:20.