HOW can i record live audio session (live guitar) in Renoise?

Hi,

Can I help me?

HOW can i record live audio session (live guitar) in Renoise? (while playing my actual Renoise music)

I have a quite complex electronic music (with 64 tracks at the same time) in Renoise, and now i want to record a live guitar track for this music. I have a external usb studio gear with ASIO, and i can able to record a guitarsimultaneously playing the 64 track electro music with a standard wav.

(And maybe i want to record a live singing too as well)

Thanks,

W

Renoise isn’t really the best program for live instrument multitrack recording, and it has never been the idea of the program.

But yes you can do it… Hit Shift+Alt+R, look at the level, click speaker icon for monitoring your sound.

If I record in Renoise, which I sometimes do, I loop the specific pattern, start it a couple of beats before the end to get a kind of “pre-count metronome” feel of the tempo and then just make one long recording. If I screw up, I mute the strings and wait for the next beat and try again, but I kinda just let the recording roll ending up in one long recording. After this I go to the sample editor and it is easy to visually see when I have played and when I muted. After this I chop it up and just trigger the chords and riffs with my keyboard. I chop it up to avoid having extremely long patterns. In theory you could set your pattern length to 512, 1024 or whatever your max is, to give you a couple of minutes to have the guitar track running, but it will make your project a living nightmare to organize. Chop up in stead.

My prefered way though is using a DAW like cubase/studio one, with a more traditionel sequenzer layout, especially oriented on recording and with a bunch of standard shortcut keys that handles rec start/stop/retake whatever. You could experiment with running Redux as a VST in another DAW that is more suited for multitrack recording, I havent tried but think you should be able to load up your Renoise project in Redux. Or maybe use some ReWire thing and sync up Renoise with another DAW.

Look into Reaper, which is probably one of the cheapest DAW’s out there. But yet very powerfull and intuitive. Not sure the free version handles VST’s. They usually don’t. Look it up.

I record guitar and bass and vox all the time for my Renoise tracks.

I never do it with Renoise. I export the song to wav, and import it into Reaper, and use Reaper to record live audio.

I do whatever number of takes, do some comping, and export what I like to wav. I then import that into Renoise.

The free version is time-limited but fully functional. You can give it whirl to see how well it works.

The discounted price is US $60

The site says this about the discount (which in my experience goes by the honor system):

You may use the discounted license if:

You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or

You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or

You are an educational or non-profit organization.

It’s great software, especially when you take into account Rewire, ReaRoute, built-in scripting, and an OSC interface (so you can, for example, start/stop recording from your phone).

A free (as in gratis) alternative to Reaper in these cases might be Tracktion 6. It was just released for free.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

Tracktion is a bugfest .

FRom version 1 ---->7

Haven’t tried waveform yet , but I gues it will be the same .

im doing it with Renoise…inside the sampler instrument…the precount its something you activate …inside the record dialogue box…once you hit record…

im using renoise cause …my setup includes …the Renoise cabinet simulator…and i most say…that this device works perfect…for clean tones…and for distorted sounds also…specially the guitar…

https://www.facebook.com/asielmanuel.rodriguezespinosa/videos/1842672399396126/

I record guitar and bass and vox all the time for my Renoise tracks.

I never do it with Renoise. I export the song to wav, and import it into Reaper, and use Reaper to record live audio.

I do whatever number of takes, do some comping, and export what I like to wav. I then import that into Renoise.

The free version is time-limited but fully functional. You can give it whirl to see how well it works.

The discounted price is US $60

The site says this about the discount (which in my experience goes by the honor system):

You may use the discounted license if:

You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or

You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or

You are an educational or non-profit organization.

It’s great software, especially when you take into account Rewire, ReaRoute, built-in scripting, and an OSC interface (so you can, for example, start/stop recording from your phone).

im so eager …for learning Reaper…i just cant stand…the official site video tutorials…are freaking redundant…

the software its so extensive with so many…customizing options…that i feel its the only DAW out there thats is really hard to master :frowning:

or even learn :frowning:

if you know a good place to start…for now im just interested in the …recording audio aspect…im going to do the …arranging in renoise :slight_smile:

im so eager …for learning Reaper…i just cant stand…the official site video tutorials…are freaking redundant…

the software its so extensive with so many…customizing options…that i feel its the only DAW out there thats is really hard to master :frowning:

or even learn :frowning:

if you know a good place to start…for now im just interested in the …recording audio aspect…im going to do the …arranging in renoise :slight_smile:

I feel your pain. I don’t recall how I got started. I may have watched some videos. Not sure if they would have been the official ones. I usually search Youtube and see what I can find. Or I search the forums.

Mostly I click around on the expectation that things are named sensibly. This is not always the case.

I keep a set of notes to remind me how to do certain things, like when I somehow make UI items disappear., I have notes on how to restore them.

I only use Renoise for that, but it is a different workflow. You have to think in patterns and samples, NOT in RECORDINGS like other tools.

If you use a bass or guitar, get a cheap USB Footswitch and map it to the Start/Stop button of the sample Recorder (in Sampler Tap)

Check “Pattern” for sync start/stop and “create new insturment on each take”

Now,

• simply play the pattern and loop it if you have multiple patterns (cause we think in pattern)

• hit the footswitch or start button of the recorder somewhere in the middle of that pattern … the recording of the sample will begin AT START of the pattern, cause we checked “pattern”

• play your bass or guitar

• hit the footswitch (start/stop button) again in middle of you playing that one pattern … and it will go on recording TILL THE PATTERN ENDS.

• if you hit Start again shortly after STOP in the middle of that pattern, it will create a new insturment for that take which also will be exacctly one pattern in length :wink:

now you can choose wich TAKE you want and play it within your song (using C-4)

Done

If you wanna record traditionally … Renoise is not your tool

2 Likes