The +12dB MAX volume selector for an istrument/sample is NOT ENOUGH&#3

Hi!

The+12dB MAXIMAL value of the volume selector for an istrument/sample is NOT ENOUGH! NOT ENOUGH! NOT ENOUGH!

I’m a pro composer, (since 1989 from the demoscene days) and usually write more than 64 channels music with high complexity.

A lots of time I HAVE TO use only a simple instrument with the same volume as 16, or 20 instrument!

12dB is a little bit limiting my composing dynamic range. For a plug-in section I NEED at least +24 dB for each choosen instrument. (at least)

And regarding to the sample selection, the problem is not the same but much worst. If I want to add a live rocorded electronic guitar RIFF to my 64 channel music, withonly +12dB of volume level of the guitar sample is lead to the guitar was farTOO QUIET. Sometimes i want the same volume for only a guitar sample as 16 other tracks!

Without this range the composing process is very, very limited for the best music.

FOR ULTIMATE FLEXIBILITY I RECOMEND TO INCREASE THE ‘SET VOLUME’ RANGE UP TO +64dB!

(For the plug-ing, for the sampe, and for the mixer’s track as well!)

PLEASE!!!

Please find my music:

https://quantumblade.bandcamp.com/releases

Asking for features using CAPSLOCK is REALLY OFF-PUTTING.

You’ve only posted 4 times. IMHO you might think about a more pleasant, less shrill, way to request a feature, report a bug, or ask for help.

Btw I’m pretty sure you can add gainers to the fx chain for instruments. Or turn the loud stuff down to get balance.

yeah i’m surprised with your demoscene 80s experience and all you haven’t tried to use a gainer.

yeah i’m surprised with your demoscene 80s experience and all you haven’t tried to use a gainer.

A gainer works on the summed voices

I think the op means pre filter gain in the instruments section ( below sample list) .

This is the amount of gain that is used to overdrive the filters , and 12 db is not enough

I think the op means pre filter gain in the instruments section ( below sample list) .

This is the amount of gain that is used to overdrive the filters

I believe you can stack gainers in the modulation chains too (operators in the volume domain)?

I believe you can stack gainers in the modulation chains too (operators in the volume domain)?

In modulation tab, for each sample, not exist a “Gainer”. I think not. I’m not sure…Yes there is a “Gainer” (+12.04dB) for FX chain, inside FX Effects tab. Because it is +12.04dB and not +12.00dB? :huh:

@Witch. I understand the frustration. So I will try to respond in a calm way…

I use the “Volume” (+12.04dB) in “Sample Properties” or “Plugin” (+12.00dB) (in the left column of Sampler or Plugin tabs) to increase / adjust the volume, for each sample or group of samples (or the plugin where appropriate).Using it properly, and properly normalizing each sample (or fine-tune the volume from the plugin VSTi), there should be no problem getting a large range of volume.I think it is necessary to think of all this as a whole.

Doing all this correctly, it may not be necessary to use a gainer in the effect chain of each track. Apart from all of this, Witch seems to have problems with the theme of tinting or coloring sounds, to highlight one another. And here also come another class of effects devices, such as Stereo Expander, Compressor, Maximizer, using any type of automation…It is necessary to experience everything to get good results.

In addition, you can do other things…

1. Pre Volume of a track has +3dB
  2. Post Volume of a track has +3dB
  3. For a track inside a group, this group include pre and post volume, with +3dB and +3dB
  4. Master also has pre and post volumewith +3dB and +3dB
  5. And use the Send tracks also…

You can include several gainers in one chain inside a track or FX Chain for each sample.If you do this, you may not be correctly using all the features of Renoise to control the volume throughout your journey.

And just a comment. Possibly the same song can be composed with half or even 1/4 number of tracks. It depends on how it is composed. And it’s even easier to use fewer tracks if you only use samples, not VSTi.Using many tracks sometimes is not necessary to get exactly the same result, although it comes in handy to have it all separate.

Witch,Do you make guitar recordings with an appropriate volume input level, and then normalize them if necessary? A high volume would be close to clipping, without adding anything in the chain.On the other hand, when you record a sample with Sample Recorder, you can associate that live recording to a track, and therefore to its effect chain. There you can add a gainer if you need it. But if this is the case, you are doing the recording with a very low volume input level.

In modulation tab, for each sample, not exist a “Gainer”. I think not.

You’re right, I was referring to the Operator device. The most simple device that can add X to the value -

but I think many people don’t realize that modulation devices in the volume domain can be stacked as well.

Yet another way to increase the volume of a track? Duplicate it :badteeth:

You’re right, I was referring to the Operator device. The most simple device that can add X to the value -

but I think many people don’t realize that modulation devices in the volume domain can be stacked as well.

Yet another way to increase the volume of a track? Duplicate it :badteeth:

Ok, the “Operand” or “Volume Operand”: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Sampler_Modulation#Operand.I’ve never used it!But it is true, with it you can double the volume, or stack several Operands in the chain.It is also possible to adjust the input volume modulation.Maybe people get confused because these numbers do not have associated measurement units like “dB”, “%”, “st”… The range is from 0’000 to 2’000.