Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:16

https://vcvrack.com/

Plugin list:  https://github.com/V...List-of-plugins

screenshot.png

Edited by Jalex, 15 October 2017 - 14:14.

#2 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:...daydreams... -VS- ...propaganda...

Posted 26 September 2017 - 20:00

Rad stuff.

I was first disappointed by the official linux version as it seemed to have a version of portaudio with it that wouldn't support jack.

Then I decided to build all the stuff from git. Was a bit of a hassle, I needed to constantly install dependencies for the libs and the prog to keep the process going, and had to fetch the glew lib manually and place it at the right point because there seemed to be some problem with the download from sourceforge (the glew.2.1.0.tgz was an error html...I replaced the crap file with a manually downloaded and things went nice).

Now it seems to work, also with Jack support, I just had to make sure the jack headers are in place in my system when I built the deps! I had to match samplerate and buffer with the jack settings, but sound was nice and clean. Great stuff, first simple experiments sound promising, though I only tried a very simple setup yet to see if stuff is working. I think I will use this to chill out & sample some sounds (via jack...) for use as samples in renoise. I've all the free modules without registration, well they all can be built from source. Also the beast seemed light on the cpu.

It seems like a bit unripe yet, but that is no supprise for me. For example you cannot stack cables, each port can only be plugged with one cable, you have to use the utilities module to multiplex stuff :-)

Looking forward to how this will evolve. The thing being opensource is a great deal for me, should business model crash all the free stuff will still be around!

• Jalex and gimmeapill like this

#3 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 18:56

Seems to be constantly improving, almost daily commits to the git.

I already managed to hook the Rack into renoise via jack/alsa midi on linux. So midi can be received from vcv if you output via a renoise instruments midi functionality, though only one note layer per virtual midi device as you can't open one with 2 devices simultaneously...but I guess this will soon improve and is rather easy to improve anyways. The audio in/out device can also hook into the jack renoise device, allowing several in/out channels from/to renoise. In renoise you can input audio from vcv via the line in device, or you can pass audio into the rack by chosing renoise's track output channels...you can also pass a dc audio stream, to allow for automation in the vcv rack!

It is fun to play around, the engine handles feedback pretty well I think, and you can oversample the whole shebang internally in the rack. I won't start projects directly involving the software for now, as it still seems a moving target, but thing is fun to play around and sample some sounds already. Not so happy with the filter device though, well maybe there will soon be other options for filters with more defined sound.

• The Otter Years likes this

#4 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 19:57

Daily commits hitting git, I just compiled to find....the midi module was updated, and now I think you can hook the rack into renoise for real and have all the midi channels to select as many note cv inputs in parallel. Also a midi cc to cv convertor has been added, support for aftertouch and vel in the main midi module, ...currently from the audio side 8 mono/ 4 stereo in and outs just as many, but we'll see if we can one day have more channels to hook into renoise! Oh boi this is some serious stuff, very exciting.

Still my compiled filter module has broken highpass filter, it sounds like a very weak high pass filter layered with very strong dry signal. The lowpass sounds good though. Anyone using this, how is your "fundamental" highpass filter working? Wondering if it is breakage on my side, or some bug in the code that could be reported and fixed.

• Jalex and The Otter Years like this

#5 Jalex

Jalex

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 18:42

In new version add optimization more stable works ))

#6 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 18:49

yes cable stacking also defying the need of obscene amounts of "multiple" devices for more complex synth wirings. Just hold ctrl while dragging from an out port that already has connection!

really hope more/better filters will come soon.

I follow git state, regularly updating & recompiling.

feels so subtle, modular rack with endless space and unlimited modules by demand....

#7 Jalex

Jalex

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 15:41

Holy 808!!!

• OopsIFly likes this

#8 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 18:25

Wonder if there is some place where a list of free and commercial plugins is maintained? Not willing to zoom thru x-pages-forum threads to learn about...

I only know the official free ones and those from this list which I will try compiling for linux soon: http://www.synthtopi...ules-available/

and this: https://www.autodafe...ck-modules.html

Anyone know a place to stay up to date? Things seem moving fast now, getting pace. Not surprising me, as the software seems very poweful and stable, and fluid.

As I said I'm already experimenting with plugging it into renoise (controlling with midi and feeding in audio or "cv" dc signals, and feeding back audio from rack into renoise), by compiling the rack and especially its portaudio lib with jack support. I'm not so much the modular automatic miracle music machine guy, but I appreciate the subtle possibilities to design very dirty/gritty sounds to modulate and process on, with modular setups.

• Jalex likes this

#9 Jalex

Jalex

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 18:29

I adding links to free plugin rep in first post

• OopsIFly likes this

#10 Jalex

Jalex