VCV RACK!!!

https://vcvrack.com/

Plugin list: https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack/wiki/List-of-plugins

2 Likes

Rad stuff.

I was first disappointed by the official linux version as it seemed to have a version of portaudio with it that wouldn’t support jack.

Then I decided to build all the stuff from git. Was a bit of a hassle, I needed to constantly install dependencies for the libs and the prog to keep the process going, and had to fetch the glew lib manually and place it at the right point because there seemed to be some problem with the download from sourceforge (the glew.2.1.0.tgz was an error html…I replaced the crap file with a manually downloaded and things went nice).

Now it seems to work, also with Jack support, I just had to make sure the jack headers are in place in my system when I built the deps! I had to match samplerate and buffer with the jack settings, but sound was nice and clean. Great stuff, first simple experiments sound promising, though I only tried a very simple setup yet to see if stuff is working. I think I will use this to chill out & sample some sounds (via jack…) for use as samples in renoise. I’ve all the free modules without registration, well they all can be built from source. Also the beast seemed light on the cpu.

It seems like a bit unripe yet, but that is no supprise for me. For example you cannot stack cables, each port can only be plugged with one cable, you have to use the utilities module to multiplex stuff :slight_smile:

Looking forward to how this will evolve. The thing being opensource is a great deal for me, should business model crash all the free stuff will still be around!

Seems to be constantly improving, almost daily commits to the git.

I already managed to hook the Rack into renoise via jack/alsa midi on linux. So midi can be received from vcv if you output via a renoise instruments midi functionality, though only one note layer per virtual midi device as you can’t open one with 2 devices simultaneously…but I guess this will soon improve and is rather easy to improve anyways. The audio in/out device can also hook into the jack renoise device, allowing several in/out channels from/to renoise. In renoise you can input audio from vcv via the line in device, or you can pass audio into the rack by chosing renoise’s track output channels…you can also pass a dc audio stream, to allow for automation in the vcv rack!

It is fun to play around, the engine handles feedback pretty well I think, and you can oversample the whole shebang internally in the rack. I won’t start projects directly involving the software for now, as it still seems a moving target, but thing is fun to play around and sample some sounds already. Not so happy with the filter device though, well maybe there will soon be other options for filters with more defined sound.

Daily commits hitting git, I just compiled to find…the midi module was updated, and now I think you can hook the rack into renoise for real and have all the midi channels to select as many note cv inputs in parallel. Also a midi cc to cv convertor has been added, support for aftertouch and vel in the main midi module, …currently from the audio side 8 mono/ 4 stereo in and outs just as many, but we’ll see if we can one day have more channels to hook into renoise! Oh boi this is some serious stuff, very exciting.

Still my compiled filter module has broken highpass filter, it sounds like a very weak high pass filter layered with very strong dry signal. The lowpass sounds good though. Anyone using this, how is your “fundamental” highpass filter working? Wondering if it is breakage on my side, or some bug in the code that could be reported and fixed.

In new version add optimization more stable works ))

yes cable stacking also defying the need of obscene amounts of “multiple” devices for more complex synth wirings. Just hold ctrl while dragging from an out port that already has connection!

really hope more/better filters will come soon.

I follow git state, regularly updating & recompiling.

feels so subtle, modular rack with endless space and unlimited modules by demand…

Holy 808!!!

Wonder if there is some place where a list of free and commercial plugins is maintained? Not willing to zoom thru x-pages-forum threads to learn about…

I only know the official free ones and those from this list which I will try compiling for linux soon: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/10/14/vcv-rack-updated-more-free-modules-available/

and this: https://www.autodafe.net/virtual-instruments/vcv-rack-modules.html

Anyone know a place to stay up to date? Things seem moving fast now, getting pace. Not surprising me, as the software seems very poweful and stable, and fluid.

As I said I’m already experimenting with plugging it into renoise (controlling with midi and feeding in audio or “cv” dc signals, and feeding back audio from rack into renoise), by compiling the rack and especially its portaudio lib with jack support. I’m not so much the modular automatic miracle music machine guy, but I appreciate the subtle possibilities to design very dirty/gritty sounds to modulate and process on, with modular setups.

I adding links to free plugin rep in first post

Hey hey! Update to 0.5

Update to 5.1

add plugins manager

https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html

With v.0.6 out I was happy to think about recording vcv directly to renoise with the vst bridge, but it’s still not working in renoise…
Sending midi from renoise to vcv works well tho, with virtual midi cables like loop midi…

There is a lot of awesome modules in vcv, currently using more vcv than reaktor…

Here is a procedural jam i recorded last night…:

The fact that I can’t use this as a VST plugin just kills this thing for me.

I’d be very interested otherwise.

I’ve used “external” routing applications in the past and the whole thing is just a PITA I’m not willing to screw with any more (making great music has enough challenges as it is).

Too bad, it looks really neat. But my entire music-making reality is DAW-based, so nope.

The fact that I can’t use this as a VST plugin just kills this thing for me.

I’d be very interested otherwise.

I’ve used “external” routing applications in the past and the whole thing is just a PITA I’m not willing to screw with any more (making great music has enough challenges as it is).

Too bad, it looks really neat. But my entire music-making reality is DAW-based, so nope.

This may help:https://vcvrack.com/manual/Core.html#Bridge

Rack is a standalone DAW-like application and not a VST/AU plugin because of the major limitations of these formats. It is common to think of physical modular synthesizers as entire self-contained DAWs, and many people use Rack as a complete DAW to compose music and build patches without other software.

However,_VCV Bridge_allows audio and MIDI to be transferred between Rack and your DAW through the included VST/AU Bridge plugin. Currently VCV Bridge is only a VST/AU effect plugin (Mac and 32/64-bit Windows) for using Rack as a send/return on a DAW track. VSTi/AU instrument plugins, MIDI, and DAW clock transport are coming soon in a later Rack 0.6.* update.

its a bit hard to grasp if you dont know to much about eurorack modules and such.

i found reaktor blocks …a bit more straightforward …and the sound quality its excellent specially the west coast and kodiak blocks

some junk I’ve done

https://vimeo.com/user30116866

As for the VCV devs stating “Rack is a standalone DAW-like application and not a VST/AU plugin because of the major limitations of these formats.”

I gotta say, that’s a load of BS, in my not so humble opinion.

When was the last time you heard folks complaining about the limitations of the VST format ?! In my experience as a regular contributor and reader of KVR, Ableton forums, Gearslutz and this Renoise forum – the answer is, well, Never. I see plenty of complaints day in, day out, and not one of them has been “You know what’s really lacking? The VST standard.”

So on that note, I’d really like to see their deeper explanation of this silly assertion. What major limitations? If VCV operated as a VST plugin inside Renoise or Ableton, what, for the user, would be the major limitations of the usage? Or for the dev, for that matter? There are numerous plugin synths that function both standalone and as VST – usually older stuff, like the Korg Legacy synths, and the early NI synths like FM8 and Absynth, etc. What advantage does the standalone offer over the plugin version? VCV’s assertion that “many people use their modular like a DAW” isn’t a defense of not offering a VST version, but just a (imo weak) case for why it’s “good” to have it standalone. But you could offer both and this point would be moot.

Man I patch VCVRack into Renoise and vice-versa with JACK audio… the MIDI-to-CV also works between applications, and then I treat my Linux PC as an entire piece of hardware, sending MIDI from Ableton. There are definitely advantages to standalone applications, and IMNSHO Rack is much easier to deal with in its own context.

Modular does indeed get very deep- running it as a plugin with the hopes of quickly scrolling through patches is simply not the paradigm. And, seriously, consider a Linux PC running these as independent hardware.

I am also a happy registered user of Reaktor, which one could run in a similar dedicated way, but has been marketed as a plugin solution along with the rest. So when looking for _new_sounds, I’m working on two screens or switching contexts with Blocks huge window… plus I can’t patch on the fly (I have to drill down to edit).

VCVRack as a virtual modular experience is simply unprecedented and should not be overlooked. Patching back and forth with Renoise is really unlike anything I’ve done with Ableton, etc. Not only is it a novel workflow, it is extremely economical and sounds great.

VCVRack, for those about to patch.

I have finally got the chance to try out vcv rack .

Absolutely stunning piece of software , was a bit afraid of the internal (cv /modulation ) update rate , but it seems that it’s operating at sample rate …totally awesome .

Been a long time reakor user , but this is a really nice companion .

FANTASTICO .

THe only thing missing are some west coast modules ( buchla , make noise )

The fact that this is free and the quality of the included modules is just beyond comprehension .

Amazing , recommonded to everyone who likes spaghetti

1 Like

As for the VCV devs stating “Rack is a standalone DAW-like application and not a VST/AU plugin because of the major limitations of these formats.”

When was the last time you heard folks complaining about the limitations of the VST format ?! In my experience as a regular contributor and reader of KVR, Ableton forums, Gearslutz and this Renoise forum – the answer is, well, Never. I see plenty of complaints day in, day out, and not one of them has been “You know what’s really lacking? The VST standard.”

So on that note, I’d really like to see their deeper explanation of this silly assertion. What major limitations? If VCV operated as a VST plugin inside Renoise or Ableton, what, for the user, would be the major limitations of the usage? Or for the dev, for that matter? There are numerous plugin synths that function both standalone and as VST – usually older stuff, like the Korg Legacy synths, and the early NI synths like FM8 and Absynth, etc. What advantage does the standalone offer over the plugin version? VCV’s assertion that “many people use their modular like a DAW” isn’t a defense of not offering a VST version, but just a (imo weak) case for why it’s “good” to have it standalone. But you could offer both and this point would be moot.

With the neww vst bridge , you can use is as a vst …more or less like zynadd sub fx .

INsert VCV vst bridge in renoise .

Load vcv rack , set audio out in vcv rack to bridge /port 1 .

INsert a midi module in vcv rack , set to bridge /port 1

Now you can trigger gate /cv from within renoise , and process vcv rack with other vst effects .

What more do you want ?