[Suggestion] Use ALT + drag up/down with mouse for transpose notes

For now, Renoise:

1. can drag selected notes,simply by dragging the selected block with the left click, or …

2. cancopy selected block, simply by dragging the selected block with the left click holding down the CTRL key both.

There seems to be a third logical characteristic:

1. transpose selected notes, dragging up/down the selected notes with left click holding down the ALT key both.Transposing notes is a widely used feature.

I think Renoise would improve if it also allowed more control features with the mouse, in addition to all keyboard controls.

This topic has also been discussed in this forum:https://forum.renoise.com/t/work-in-progress-piano-roll/48049

alt-drag is already a thing on a few OS GUIs. It allows you to move windows without having to click on some special border of a window.

There is a keyboard way to transpose notes though I find it sort of tedious (though I prefer keyboard to mouse for most things)

There’s a tool, “Note Properties”, that gives you a mousable GUI for altering selected notes

https://www.renoise.com/tools/note-properties

There is a keyboard way to transpose notes though I find it sort of tedious

May I ask why? I find it’s second nature :slight_smile:

May I ask why? I find it’s second nature :slight_smile:

Not sure. Although it might be that the default shortcut is already in use by my windows desktop-switching manager so I need to actually use the mouse or something. Which of course has everything to do with me not bothering to change the default shortcut.

I don’t think I do it very often either. If I do, it’s to re-pitch an entire pattern.

Anyways I have Note Properties mapper to alt+p or something so I use that for single-note manipulation (or just enter a new note via a keyboard)

alt-drag is already a thing on a few OS GUIs.

I think this depends on the area where the mouse pointer is located. Using Renoise, in the pattern editor, if you select a range of lines and columns,it would be very simple to press ALT + drag up / down, to transpose the notes of the selection.You will refer to OSX, I supose.With Windows there is no problem.

In fact, it would be a way to forget the blissful pianorrolls. Many people want pianorroll because Renoise does not defend many controls with the mouse. What is discussed in this topic is basic. Select and ALT + drag up / down = transpose notes.

On the other hand, you could specify that you increase or decrease the selected values of certain sub-columns individually, such as volume, panning, delay or even effects columns …

The keyboard commands I think are fine. But I’m sure a lot of people would appreciate editing more with the mouse, as they inherit the vices of other DAWs, which use a lot of mouse to edit.

I think this depends on the area where the mouse pointer is located. Using Renoise, in the pattern editor, if you select a range of lines and columns,it would be very simple to press ALT + drag up / down, to transpose the notes of the selection.You will refer to OSX, I supose.With Windows there is no problem.

I got used to alt-drag on Ubuntu, and now I have it on Windows as well. I don’t know what happens in OSX; hardly use it anymore. I don’t recall there being alt+drag on OSX (as it is on Ubuntu and I think X Windows, etc.) but maybe it’s caught up to other GUIs.

I would like to extend this request a bit, so you would put the mouse cursor on the affecting column (just like in tuned shortcuts tool), and then shift + mouse wheel or drag either 1. note transposition, 2. tick movement, 3. instrument number, 4. volume, panning, + 5. some fx values.

So, maybe basically just supporting some mouse actions in the shortcuts list + allowing to get the relative mouse position over a track, or the mouse-overed current object as a constant. Since then you could add that in a tool. I would even clean up and debug tuned shortcuts then, maybe doing a rewrite using xlib or some oo approach.