Choppy Rendering

Hi,

I’ve recently started using the render to disk option and I’m finding the renderings are coming out very choppy and with a lot of missing samples. I’ve tried both batch and realtime rendering but both now seem to have the same problem, although I didn’t recall it at the start when I started using it. Any ideas on what might be happening to cause this type of artifact in the rendering?

Here’s an example: http://kruhft.busfactor1.ca/render.m4a

kruhft

Does it happen always, with every song that you try to render? For example also when only using native effects, not using vst(i)'s. Try to narrow down the problem, probably a vst is causing problems. Perhaps you can share a song file so others can try on their machines/OS.

Also look if you have used one Plug-in on several channels, afair the plug-ins automatically route to fulfill your needs in a pattern, might create weird sounds. Use a plug-in only on one channel.

Does it happen always, with every song that you try to render? For example also when only using native effects, not using vst(i)'s. Try to narrow down the problem, probably a vst is causing problems. Perhaps you can share a song file so others can try on their machines/OS.

Yes, it seems consistent when I use the builtin instruments/effects AND when I separate out the patterns and tracks into channels. I thought it might have been an issue with the built in instrument (Space Piano) so I’ve pulled out some old .XI instruments, and they don’t seem to have the problem. It seems to be happening for the past couple of short song’s I’ve been writing was not a problem a couple of songs ago, so maybe it’s a plugin configuration as someone else has suggested.

Here is a simple song file that I’ve created that shows the problem on macOS Sierra:

http://kruhft.busfactor1.ca/Choppy.xrns

It’s nothing more than a couple of instrument changes and some notes from the default new song.

The problem is when I render to disk and I select either ‘Save each track to a separate file’ or ‘Save each pattern to a separate file’.

Hope I got this kinda right, haven’t used Renoise much lately.

Problem:

When you use one (instrument with a) FX Chain in more than one Track,

or when you use one instrument plug-in in more than one Track,

then the sound output of it will automatically be routed to the “Current Track” - a setting which you can also change to point to a certain Track.

Problem in your song:

You are starting to use Space Piano on Track 1 and 4 at the same time, but Renoise will not duplicate a FX-Chain or instrument Plugin or a resource like that just in time. There is only one. And it’s not being split into to Tracks (channels) either. It has to go into one Track only, and “Current Track” means Renoise choses the Track you play a note on, so that quickly becomes only Track 4, and it will continue to change again and again.

At the beginning of that song, you will think you would hear Tracks 1+4, but when you drag the mixer faders you’ll see that you hear only Track 4. That is why the rendered file for Track 1 is mostly empty.

Solutions:

A) Set the FX Chain (and/or Plug-In) output (that is drop-down field on the right side) to the Track number. E.g. Space Piano + it’s FX Chain => Track 1,Electric red + it’s FX Chain => Track 2

B ) Use more note columns in a Track. Click the little [+] button to get another column in a track and put notes to there, you’ll end up probably with only two Tracks

C) In your song, if you’re after the FX-Chain/Plugin being applied to each seperate track for a mixdown in another DAW, Solo (right mouse button on [PLAY]) and render each Track for its own. The “Current Track” setting will then be 1,2,3,4,5 but you need to start the 5 renderings seperately.

yeah, maybe read up on the instrument properties and how plugin aliases work;http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Plugin#Plugin_Instrument_Properties

Hope I got this kinda right,

Yes, that’s the thing. Essentially, sample based instruments that also use internal effects are behaving like plugins and need to be treated as such.

In those instruments, FX chains then act as the routing mechanism. You can assign them to any track, but yeah - it’s easy to forget…