Rendering Question....

Could somebody confirm if the following assumption re: rendering is correct? Thanks!

1. Any rendering performed from the drop down “render song…” command pop-up box, including the options of rendering of “individual tracks” or “individual scenes” and including rendering “selection only” will ALL result in a render that includes the Master Bus and any FX on the Master Bus.

2. Any rendering performed in the pattern editor with the “render selection to sample” command will NOT include the Master Bus and any FX on the Master Bus.

is this right? just need to clarify for purposes of exporting song sections into another DAW – I need to know what specifically is or isn’t getting processed through the Master during the render.

thanks!

-Michael

is this right?

When you use the “render selection sample” function, the Master track FX are not included because we assume that you’ll be re-using that newly rendered sample within the song somehow, and you would typically want to avoid the Master track FX being applied twice in that case.

This also applies when rendering to disk with “Save each track to a separate file” enabled, because we assume you’ll be taking those individual tracks into another DAW or some other software for further mixing/mastering, and it does not make sense to apply the Master track FX to every individual track this way.

PS. If you need to do your own testing for sanity’s sake, simply throw a big obvious effect on the Master track like a massive reverb or distortion, and it should be quite clear when the render includes it or not :slight_smile:

When you use the “render selection sample” function, the Master track FX are not included because we assume that you’ll be re-using that newly rendered sample within the song somehow, and you would typically want to avoid the Master track FX being applied twice in that case.

This also applies when rendering to disk with “Save each track to a separate file” enabled, because we assume you’ll be taking those individual tracks into another DAW or some other software for further mixing/mastering, and it does not make sense to apply the Master track FX to every individual track this way.

PS. If you need to do your own testing for sanity’s sake, simply throw a big obvious effect on the Master track like a massive reverb or distortion, and it should be quite clear when the render includes it or not :slight_smile:

Ok cool. I essentially had believed that both 1 and 2 in my OP were correct, but now I see that the “save each track to a separate file” will actually bypass the Master FX as well – that’s good to know! The logic you’e expressed re: why we wouldn’t want the Master FX printed makes sense to me, so I’m quite happy with this approach.

So, the only export that actually gets the Master Bus processing is the Full song export render. Though I am curious now if the “render each Pattern to a separate file” also bypasses the master, though I assume it does since the “…render each Track…” function does. I’ll run some tests, as you say :slight_smile:

cheers,

-Michael

I am curious now if the “render each Pattern to a separate file” also bypasses the master

If you use that option by itself then the master is still applied, because even though the render is split into individual patterns they are still actually part of the song’s full mix.

It’s only when you render with separate tracks that the master does not get included.