Well, if you ask me (ok, nobody in here does that, but still ), the following points would improve the Renoise's instrument section drastically:
1. Analyser selected track is the selected fx chain in the instrument, as soon as you are in the instrument view / the view is focused. Also Analyser sum maybe switchable to instrument sum
2. Allow fx chains for VST instruments. So you could do all tonal edits to a synth presets already there! And then save it in the nice instrument's preset browser.
3. VST instruments with multiple outputs: Make the fx chains of the instrument accessible in the output routing settings
4. Sample management: Disable option per sample. Maybe solo mode, too?
5. Context menu point "Add Favorites" is missing in the DSP bar on the bottom in the instrument view. Please add it there, too!
6. Sample management: Unison stepper field (1-16x), so a sample is still routed to one modulation chain, but actually processed in multiple instances at once, just like a chord, only with a single note.
7. Modulation chain: Smart logic for getting every n-th note only. So e.g. for unison, every 1 % 2 note slightly pitched down, every 0 % 2 note slightly pitched up. Or this logic per modulation set, so specific rules for a modulation set.
8. Instead assigning the sample to a modulation slot, assign the modulation to samples. So you could assign multiple slots to the same sample.
In any case, we need a multiple-chooser gui element. In the selector, make other modulation slots available, too, so e.g. serial filtering is possible. Just leave the logic of each slot separate. If you would select the sources (sample or other chains) in the modulation chain, you could actually do this directly in the sample list: Click a modulation chain, and all routing-in samples will be highlighted in the sample list, ctrl+click selects/deselects them. So it would be less gui elements than now, actually.
9. Gimme back old filter algorithms in the modulation slots. Also 4P butterworth LP/BP/HP would be interesting.
10. Formula device in modulation slots, so you can add your own calculations to the modulation value. Would require some additional inputs, like signals from previous slots or macros
IMHO the points 1-5 seem to be quite easily to do. Since almost everything for those seems to be already implemented. Points 6-8 are for me essential at least, to take Renoise seriously as a sampler. Just to give you an idea of a maybe most simple approach.
Thanks for consideration.
EDIT: Added "missing favourites menu" problem.
EDIT: Added simplified sample-set routing idea.
Edited by ffx, 13 October 2017 - 12:50.