Portable Renoise

Hi,

could you implement a portable edition like Reaper ?

Regards

There’s a portable Reaper?

You can installed on a usb-Stick

You can install Renoise on a USB flash driver without any problems ) It works as well. I used to do that since the 1.5 version.

for Reaper,

yes, when you launch installation, you can choice portable install.

and for Renoise, it’s could be an good choice for traveler musician…:slight_smile:

you don’t need to install renoise at all, you can just run it from the same directory you unzipped the downloaded file - just put in on usb stick with your libraries and stuff and run from there…

Me wants to run Renoise on a Gameboy & use the internal soundchip for synths & drums etc.

you can just run it from the same directory you unzipped the downloaded file

While this is technically true, do keep in mind that Renoise will automatically recreate its config and preferences folder if they’re not already present on the system, and you will therefore be running with the default keybindings and other settings in that case.

Renoise is not really “portable” per se, it’s just rather forgiving when it comes to recreating the system files it needs in order to function correctly.

Just something to be aware of if you intend to run Renoise without leaving a footprint.

3 Likes

Though on mac/linux, you could make a symlink using “ln -s” from ~/Lib/Prefs/Renoise to your stick at /Volumes/Stick/RenoiseConfig or something. Still you would have to create such symbolic link on every system on your local user account.

EDIT: On the other hand, Renoise is constantlyreading config dirs every 10 secs, maybe that technique would be harmful and slow on a usb stick.

Blockquote
Me wants to run Renoise on a Gameboy & use the internal soundchip for synths & drums etc.

it’s called LSDJ… :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry to revive this post, but is there anything new regarding this? I don’t know much about portable software, and I intend to use Renoise on my job’s PC using a USB drive (heheh :slight_smile:). This means I can’t leave much traces behind. How hard is it to create a Renoise installer that maps all the necessary folders to a single place (e.g. my usb drive)?

I found this site called portableapps(dot)com, has anyone ever tried it w/ Renoise?

Nothing new. This is information is still relevant.

1 Like

Just install Renoise to your USB drive, it’ll work fine. I do this as well with a SDD and my work laptop, can also store VST2s on your USB drive and most should work.

2 Likes

I’ll try to follow the folder structure inside my USB drive to see how it goes. I know some config files go to C:/ by default, but I’ll have to deal with it. Thanks!