28 replies to this topic

#1 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 00:11

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to how midi sequencing using a hardware sequencer like the QY700 compares to doing it via Renoise? I don't have any outboard gear, so if I were to use it, all the midi-data would go straight into Renoise (where I have all my samples, synths etc.). Is it useful for doing sequencing and lots of modulations at the same time, especially step-sequencing (like the classic drum-machine approach)? Where does it win where Renoise fails and vice versa? 

This may be a broad question and I apologize in advice, but I'd really love to hear an informed opinion on this.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

#2 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:31

I've had my QY700 from new, and yes, you can do all of that  The QY700 is basically a MIDI sequencing powerhouse with a built-in synthesizer and programmable accompaniment system.

Personally I don't (and wouldn't) use it the way you're wanting to use it, but you can do that if you wanted to cause it can output upto 32 MIDI channels using 2x MIDI DIN outputs.  It's irrelevent to the QY700 what MIDI data is being transmitted to or from those MIDI channels, so it's really more a question of why would you want to do that?  If you crave the cutomisable accompaniment system of the QY700 and want to use it to drive Renoise, sure, you can do that.  I've never actually done it myself, but I don't see any reason why not.  This is why I wanted to see RAS built-in to Renoise, it's cause programmable accompaniment sytems are one of the most productive things you can have in a DAW, and personally, I hate hopping between hardware and software setups.  My own QY700 is used strictly in my hardware setup.

Hidden in another thread here there's a recent discussion about the QY700, not sure if you spotted it, but if you look for my first post in this thread, it pretty much goes from there:
http://forum.renoise...combo/?p=360585

Edited by Renoised, 27 October 2017 - 11:13.

#3 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:14

I've had my QY700 from new, and yes, you can do all of that  The QY700 is basically a MIDI sequencing powerhouse with a built-in synthesizer and programmable accompaniment system.

Personally I don't (and wouldn't) use it the way you're wanting to use it, but you can do that if you wanted to cause the QY700 can output upto 32 MIDI channels using 2x MIDI DIN outputs.  It's irrelevent to the QY700 what MIDI data is being transmitted to or from those MIDI channels, so it's really more a question of why would you want to do that?  If you crave the cutomisable accompaniment system of the QY700 and want to use it to drive Renoise, sure, you can do that.  I've never actually done it myself, but I don't see any reason why not.  This is why I wanted to see RAS built-in to Renoise, it's cause programmable accompaniment sytems are one of the most productive things you can have in a DAW, and personally, I hate hopping between hardware and software setups.  My own QY700 is used strictly in my hardware setup.

Hidden in another thread here there's a recent discussion about the QY700, not sure if you spotted it, but if you look for my first post in this thread, it pretty much goes from there:
http://forum.renoise...r-studio-combo/

Hey,

thanks for the info! I've realized that the QY700 may not be the right choice here. I am actually looking for a way to do xox-like sequencing within Renoise, but doing it with a hardware sequencer would be problematic when it comes to MIDI-Recording in Renoise. I've also heard that the QY isn't really made for that kind of sequencing anyway.

#4 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:59

To be honest, I haven't a clue what xox-sequencing is, but yep, it's really more at home being used as the centre of a hardware-based rig.
Anyway, good luck with your search.

#5 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:22

To be honest, I haven't a clue what xox-sequencing is, but yep, it's really more at home being used as the centre of a hardware-based rig.
Anyway, good luck with your search.

x0x-sequencing is basically sequencing that emulates the behaviour of the step-sequencers of the old roland drum-machines and synths (808s, 909s, mc 202 etc). I'm currently using the HYSEQ-16x8 for something similar, but I want it to be more integrated into Renoise (for MIDI recording etc..but I don't like Lauflicht or Duplex)..Perhaps I'll just go and program my own.  :yeah:

Edited by clirke21, 27 October 2017 - 12:23.

#6 gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts
  • Interests:slacking

Posted 27 October 2017 - 16:30

I always wanted a qy 700, only heard positive things from it.

They don't seem so easy to come by ...

THERE IS NO RELIGION SUPERIOR TO THE TRUTH

THERE IS NO TRUTH SUPERIOR TO THE ONE I CHOOSE

C'EST MIEUX D'ETRE BELLE ET REBELLE

QUE MOCHE ET REMOCHE

RUBIO RABIA

#7 Redman

Redman

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Big fluffy clouds

Posted 27 October 2017 - 17:06

I always wanted a qy 700, only heard positive things from it.

They don't seem so easy to come by ...

There's one going cheap on Reverb.com if your interested, mind you it might cost a bit to get it shipped from America. https://reverb.com/i...8QAvD_BwE&pla=1

#8 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 20:42

I gotta say, the QY700 is quite a tough unit, so for it to be cracked like that I reckon it must have had quite a whack!  The legends have worn off the keys as well, and the display looks quite dull so it looks like that one's seen some serious use.  Brings a smile to my face to see it though, cause that's just typical of QY700 endurance - abuse me and I'll carry on regardless!  I've never seen one sold as not working, and even one I saw sold with a smashed screen was still sold as working.

I see Redman is in Ireland, but I'm not sure what country gentleclockdivider is from.  I often search for the stuff I own, just out of curiosity and to keep an eye on the prices, and you'd be surprised how many QY700 turn-up on eBay (in England anyway).  They're always sold "fully working" and in way better condition than the one shown on Reverb - so I would definitely avoid that one.  They usually go for around the £250 - £350 mark and often the sellers have had a custom case made for them.  It's just timing really, you could search for something else but a whole bunch of QY700 would turn up instead.  Then when you want one you might have to wait a few weeks with nothing to show for it, then two or three will appear out of nowhere :lol:

So there's plenty of them around, but they seem to be most popular in England and Japan.

#9 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 22:13

Just took a look out of curiosity, so as a heads-up for anyone looking for one of these, check-out the condition of this one for just over £200
Unfortunately it's sold now, but it'll give you an idea of the sort of condition you expect for under £250.

Whoever bought this one got a real bargain:
https://www.gumtree....ing-/1239679316

#10 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 22:19

Just took a look out of curiosity, so as a heads-up for anyone looking for one of these, check-out the condition of this one for just over £200
Unfortunately it's sold now, but it'll give you an idea of the sort of condition you expect for under £250.

Whoever bought this one got a real bargain:
https://www.gumtree....ing-/1239679316

I've been seeing QY300s pop up quite often and they're pretty cheap (around 100-150 €)..Isn't that more worth it in terms of budget considerations? From what I've heard it's the same as the QY700 just without the big-backlight-screen, isn't it? And no editing functionality for the sounds (which are horrible anyways imo, so I wouldn't mind).

A friend of mine had a QY700 a few years ago and only paid a similar amount. They're certainly not worth more than 200€, imo. But perhaps people now think they're cool as Squarepusher has been flashing his at gigs.

Edited by clirke21, 27 October 2017 - 22:24.

#11 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 23:50

No no no, quite the opposite!

The QY700 has one of the best XG ROM's I've heard, it's one of the main things I like about it.  Trouble is, I reckon most people who have used or own them aren't even aware of how to access the XG sounds, and only make use of the General MIDI soundset.  Just about every demo I've heard on YouTube appears to use the General MIDI soundset, and even then, they appear to be leaving the sounds very 'dry' instead of making use of the effects processors.  There's nothing wrong with the General MIDI or XG sounds, it's all typical high-end Yamaha waveform data in there, it's just that they've not washed them out with over the top reverb and DSP by default like they do on other models.

It's like I explained to Vic in that other thread, the QY700 isn't designed to be 'glamourous' with flashy sounds out of the box, it's aimed at a more general, professional market, so coming into contact with one for the first time will feel very plain, subdued, and formal.  You have to learn how to use it before you get the sounds you want out of it.  Bear in mind that it's main purpose is a sequencer, so they formatted the sound ROM out of the box in a way that would work especially well for MIDI sequencing.  There's serious power hidden inside, but you have to learn how to use it, and even if you read every page of the manual ten times over, there are still things you will not understand until one day, you do something and realise, ah, this all makes perfect sense now, I totally get why they did it that way.  I've had mine for ten years now, and I was still discovering stuff just a few years back!

Me, I even use the QY700 as a sound design tool, but you think a QY700 is only worth £200.  Well ok, but I know how to use a QY700 inside out, so I know what it's capable of and what it's really worth, and to me a QY700 in the condition of that one shown on Gumtree is worth at least £400.  I would never want to be without a QY700, put it that way, and that one was in very nice condition.

Think of it like this ... a QY700 is basically a box of tricks that you put your own mark on.  The amout of magic you can pull-off with it will relate directly to the amount magic you learn to conjure-up with it.  You could be the biggest prick on YouTube demonstrating the QY700, or you could be the biggest QY700 genius ever where people say, that's amazing, how the fuck did you do that?

Like I said though, she's not for you, she's not your type.  She's a bit like the hottest hooker on the street.  People keep picking her up, prodding her, but ultimately give-up on her cause they fail to see the refined woman inside.  But all of those who stick with her know they are dealing with a true "Pro".  She knows all the tricks and can work wonders for your output if you push the right buttons :D

#12 gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts
  • Interests:slacking

Posted 28 October 2017 - 00:30

There's one going cheap on Reverb.com if your interested, mind you it might cost a bit to get it shipped from America. https://reverb.com/i...8QAvD_BwE&pla=1

LOL , 200 euro shipping fee..

The QY700 has one of the best XG ROM's I've heard, it's one of the main things I like about it.  Trouble is, I reckon most people who have used or own them aren't even aware of how to access the XG sounds, and only make use of the General MIDI soundset.  Just about every demo I've heard on YouTube appears to use the General MIDI soundset, and even then, they appear to be leaving the sounds very 'dry' instead of making use of the effects processors.  There's nothing wrong with the General MIDI or XG sounds, it's all typical high-end Yamaha waveform data in there, it's just that they've not washed them out with over the top reverb and DSP by default like they do on other models.

It's like I explained to Vic in that other thread, the QY700 isn't designed to be 'glamourous' with flashy sounds out of the box, it's aimed at a more general, professional market, so coming into contact with one for the first time will feel very plain, subdued, and formal.  You have to learn how to use it before you get the sounds you want out of it.  Bear in mind that it's main purpose is a sequencer, so they formatted the sound ROM out of the box in a way that would work especially well for MIDI sequencing.  There's serious power hidden inside, but you have to learn how to use it, and even if you read every page of the manual ten times over, there are still things you will not understand until one day, you do something and realise, ah, this all makes perfect sense now, I totally get why they did it that way.  I've had mine for ten years now, and I was still discovering stuff just a few years back!

Me, I even use the QY700 as a sound design tool, but you think a QY700 is only worth £200.  Well ok, but I know how to use a QY700 inside out, so I know what it's capable of and what it's really worth, and to me a QY700 in the condition of that one shown on Gumtree is worth at least £400.  I would never want to be without a QY700, put it that way, and that one was in very nice condition.

Think of it like this ... a QY700 is basically a box of tricks that you put your own mark on.  The amout of magic you can pull-off with it will relate directly to the amount magic you learn to conjure-up with it.  You could be the biggest prick on YouTube demonstrating the QY700, or you could be the biggest QY700 genius ever where people say, that's amazing, how the fuck did you do that?

Like I said though, she's not for you, she's not your type.  She's a bit like the hottest hooker on the street.  People keep picking her up, prodding her, but ultimately give-up on her cause they fail to see the refined woman inside.  But all of those who stick with her know they are dealing with a true "Pro".  She knows all the tricks and can work wonders for your output if you push the right buttons :D

I don't have an xg compatble module , the  only amaha I have is the A4000s sampler .

Yamaha awm2 engine is indeed verrrygood sounding , 18 filter types , multiple ilters possible ...don't know if the qy has this .

I only need it for seq. duties ..just bought an integra 7 ....I forgot how good the roland PCM engine was .. more options then yammies awm2 ..but the yammies awm2  filters  sound more organic.

Edited by gentleclockdivider, 28 October 2017 - 00:26.

THERE IS NO RELIGION SUPERIOR TO THE TRUTH

THERE IS NO TRUTH SUPERIOR TO THE ONE I CHOOSE

C'EST MIEUX D'ETRE BELLE ET REBELLE

QUE MOCHE ET REMOCHE

RUBIO RABIA

#13 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 00:51

I judged the sounds based on what I heard on the youtube videos (and they sounded quite shit), but ofc, I don't have an informed opinion on the real scope of it given the fact I never used it. x) 

In terms of the price, I said that it's "worth" less because I was already interested in them a few years ago and they used to be in that cheaper price range, so I wouldn't go for anything higher than that, really. And it shouldn't become more expensive just because it's older now (I really hate the idealization of old, retro-ish gear..). In terms of how much it really "should" cost, I really can't judge that. Every time I use Renoise I feel like it's almost criminal that it's so cheap. It's almost like I'm robbing them, lol. 

I certainly believe that the QY700 is a very powerful tool once you learn it inside out, same as with Renoise. Squarepusher's stuff is enough proof of that (and he's been using it for over 20 years now). The main reason why I opened this thread was to get an of whether or not it would be worth to surrender some of my Renoise abilities to dive into the QY700. Basically, whether or not I'd come out the other end "richer". I don't know the answer to that though.

Edited by clirke21, 28 October 2017 - 00:53.

#14 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 17:30

I don't have an xg compatble module , the  only amaha I have is the A4000s sampler .

Yamaha awm2 engine is indeed verrrygood sounding , 18 filter types , multiple ilters possible ...don't know if the qy has this .

I only need it for seq. duties ..just bought an integra 7 ....I forgot how good the roland PCM engine was .. more options then yammies awm2 ..but the yammies awm2  filters  sound more organic.

Adding a QY700 to that sounds like a good setup to me.  I have a similar hardware setup cause my QY700 is driving a Yamaha A3000 sampler for if/when I need sampling.  I hardly ever use the sampler as a sampler though to be honest, I mainly use it as a mastering and effects processor on one of the send/return feeds of the Yamaha MT8X I have it connected to.  The MT8X is tape-based, and even that is controlled by the QY700 using a MIDI sync unit (Yamaha YMC10).

I agree about the Roland gear, don't have a Roland right now, but I do like the filters on some of them.  I like the way Roland sample their instruments as well.

The main reason why I opened this thread was to get an of whether or not it would be worth to surrender some of my Renoise abilities to dive into the QY700. Basically, whether or not I'd come out the other end "richer". I don't know the answer to that though.

It's not really possible for me to answer your question without it sounding a bit weird, cause the way I look at things will likely be very different to the way you do.  I suppose it comes down to what you want to do and how you want to work with audio and making music.  There is no way I'm going to suggest surrendering Renoise in order to dive into a QY700.  That would be ridiculous, mainly because it would be pointless to surrender Renoise in order to dive into any peice of hardware, so I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at there.

You're comparing something that changes constantly (Renoise), to something that will never change for as long as you live (QY700).  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  On the one hand, it's much easier to knock-out some incredible sounding stuff with Renoise than it would be using a QY700.  On the other hand, the QY700 will never change, so you can be sure that no matter how much time you put into it, nothing will go to waste, and your skill in using it can only improve over time.  The important thing to remember about a QY700 is that it has the full official Yamaha MIDI spec, and it's attached to a built-in synthesizer.  For that reason, the only people who will get the best out of a QY700 are those who understand the official MIDI spec and how it can be used "inventively" to control the built-in synthesizer and make it do all sorts of crazy stuff.

To give you an idea, here's just some examples of projects I gave myself to test and push my abilities with it:

- I've created psychoacoustic synthesis effects of rumbling thunder-claps cause I wanted something different to the built-in thunder.
- I've created the sound of rain falling upon a tent, cause I wanted that relaxing sound it gives.
- I've created the sound of tree leaves rustling in the wind.
- I've created a whole drum set that was meant to be very "80s" like a LinnDrum, and made it sound even more punchy.
- I've created Mellotron-type instruments complete with dropouts, unstready pitch, pops, and filter instability.
- I've created monster-sized supersaws that would put a JP-8000 to shame.
- I've created trance gates even though it doesn't have a trance gate by default.
- I've created psychoacoustic surround sound.

This is possible because they were wise enough to implement certain features which, without them, none of that stuff would be possible.  This is why you need to understand MIDI and sound design techniques to get the best from it.  In addition to that, you need to remember that Yamaha know what they're doing.  There's some incredible sounding waveforms hidden among the XG data of the QY700.  And take a wild guess as to which company knows how to sample all that wonderful analogue gear they made back in the 70s and 80s?  Take a guess as to who builds the very pianos and other real-world instruments they sampled into this thing?  And take a guess as to why it sounds so "dry" on YouTube?

It sounds dry because unlike a lot of the gear out there, the samples in the QY700 were recorded professionally, "dry", as in proper-dry cause that's the proper way to do it.   It's much better to have a dry samples you can add effects to than to have wet samples you cannot remove the effect from - see?

I could go on for ages, but there's no point.  If a QY700 sounds "shit", I can assure you it's down to the person using it, it's not a limitation of the QY700.  Bottom line mate, be prepared to learn MIDI and sound design if you're considering a QY700, cause it's not a toy, it's a totally professional hybrid MIDI/Synthesis tool.  If it's something you think you could master then I highly recommend it because it's a unique and powerful piece of kit to those who put the time in.  And there's something very liberating about having a device you know inside out.  It's nice to be able to switch it on and know that you can make it do whatever the hell you want.  Remember, a true master of any device will never blame his/her tool of choice, so I guess the only way to find out is to pick one up and see if you can tame her.  I mean what's the worst that can happen?

I think the worst that can happen is you end up like the others selling it on eBay cause you can't get your head around it :o :D

BTW, I've not heared any Squarepusher stuff, but if he/she is using a QY700 for all their music, I really look forward to hearing it.  I can't right now as I'm trying to make my sim last long enough to look into a better deal, so I've stopped downloading videos and music for the moment.  Will definitely look into that though, once I get a new broadband sim B)

Edited by Renoised, 28 October 2017 - 17:32.

#15 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 18:41

You're making the decision harder for me now :D, because on the one hand, it would probably complicate things, but on the other hand, you're making it sound really appealing...Basically, I want to use it only as a MIDI-sequencer and I wouldn't really dig into the sound-design thing, because I'm still doing most of that in Renoise and feel like there's still so much to explore (wanna master that first). And after that, I'll probably start getting into things like Max/MSP or whatever, so I got that covered for now. But if I were to use it as a MIDI-Sequencer, it would complicate things in the following way:

I would use the QY to sequence samples and modulate parameters in Renoise, but Renoise isn't really good for recording MIDI, so I would need to send that over to Reaper. So it would be QY700 => Renoise => Reaper. I don't want to get into the specifics of how I would sync up Renoise and Reaper (lots of Rewire-nonsense), but you get my point.

Still though, what you told me about mastering it reminds me of something that Squarepusher himself said:"I've tried Cubase and Nuendo, but I don't see any need to make the shift. For a start, I'm super fast on the QY. I know what it can do and I know how to make it do it. There's also a very definite feel to working on it. You press this button and it does this, you turn this knob and it alters that. With Cubase or any of the other sequencing systems, you don't get that. You get infinite possibilities. I look at a blank computer screen and think 'Where do I start?'"...."The QY has limits. I know exactly where those limits are and - as I've always done - I try to exceed those limits. With a modern sequencing package, I don't get any boundaries. I get four pages of snares, a hundred kick drums and a giant computer screen. I'm sorry, but that's my idea of hell!"

Have you used the QY300? There are no QY700s available right now where I live, but a very cheap 300. How do they compare?

If you're interested in Squarepushers stuff, he's really pushed the limits of that thing on tracks like this (lots of FM-synthesis): 

I also recommend checking out "Go Plastic". Still, to this day, one of the best electronic music albums ever made. All sequenced on the QY.

#16 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 19:40

Well yeah, exactly, it gets complicated when you try using software and hardware setups, which is why I never mix them.  I've never really liked the idea of a software-based studio because it's constantly changing, going out of date, or being made obsolete.  That's one of the reasons why for me, my hardware setup is infintitely more important to me than my software setup.

Using a QY700 to drive Renoise would only give you an advantage if you were making use of the programmable accompaniment system it has, and it's rock-solid timing.  But for everyday sequencing I don't see any obvious reasons why a QY700 would be better than just doing it in Renoise. Can't recommend a QY300 cause I've never had one and would never buy one, especially as a second-hand QY700 is not much more money.  So personally, I'd wait a bit longer and get the king of hardware sequencers, AKA the Yamaha QY700.

Thanks for that quote from Squarepusher, cause I tell you now, while I'm completely useless at making music, it's fair to say he and I have the same outlook on these things from the sounds of it. I really love what he said there, and I totally agree with him.  It's like I were trying to tell you, it's very liberating knowing you can switch-on a device and make it do whatever the hell you want.  Another bonus is that you know it is never going to change.  It's never going to become obsolete like software does, it's always going to be the same, it's always going to work in exactly the same way it always has done.  Put it this way, when I get around to producing my own albums, all sounds and sequencing will be done on my QY700.  At the moment she's boxed away safely due to me moving around, but my next project is to experiment with creating industrial drones and noises - the sound of machnical machines churning away etc (and the cool thing is I automatically know I can do it before I even try).

But just to make the decision a little harder for you, me being the evil twisted bastard that I am, here's another persons view of the ultimate sequencing machine:
https://www.purcells...ware-sequencers

BTW, stop tempting me with Squarepusher videos to suck-up my remaining bandwidth :D
I shall not be swayed until I have a new sim, dammit!

Just buy one in good condition, master it, and make awesomeness with it, become a QY700 master B)

Edited by Renoised, 28 October 2017 - 20:28.

#17 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 20:33

Now you're really confusing me. x)

Using a QY700 to drive Renoise would only give you an advantage if you were making use of the programmable accompaniment system it has.  But for everyday sequencing I don't see any obvious reasons why a QY700 would be better than just doing it in Renoise.

But then:

So personally, I'd wait a bit longer and get the king of hardware sequencers, AKA the Yamaha QY700.

Just buy one in good condition, master it, and make awesomeness with it, become a QY700 master  B)

You seem to be just as unsure as I am. Like me, you're basically saying "yeah, wouldn't make sense to use it, but use it anyhow!"  :clownstep:

Edited by clirke21, 28 October 2017 - 20:34.

#18 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 21:14

No, I'm suggesting that getting a QY300 would be a waste because chances are, once you start using it, you'll find limitations with it, and you'll discover those limitations don't exist on a QY700.

In so many words, you're asking me if I think you should drop Renoise and dive into a QY700.  Personally I think that's a bit weird.  Like I said, I don't see the point in just using it as a basic sequencer to drive Renoise, cause Renoise is a sequencer anyway.  In other words, don't bother unless you're prepared to learn MIDI and sound design techniques, or you can see yourself wanting to master it. To me, the QY700 is what I'd choose to take on a desert island with me, but to others, it might be the last thing they would take.

#19 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, film and television

Posted 28 October 2017 - 21:14

Whats the point of using QY700 to sequence samples in renoise?

Whats the point of using QY700 and renoise in combination to trigger external synths?

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/MIDI

#20 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 21:32

Like I said, Renoise is a sequncer anyway, so the only possible advantage of using a QY700 to drive Renoise would be it's accompaniment system or it's timing.
It's really designed to be the heart of a hardware-based MIDI rig.

Edited by Renoised, 28 October 2017 - 21:50.

#21 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 21:39

Whats the point of using QY700 to sequence samples in renoise?

Different workflow, fresh air, a few of the other reasons mentioned before etc. It's not like the QY700 is just another tracker, the differences are considerable enough, I think, to try it out. Still though, considering the price, availability etc..it may not be a good idea.

Edited by dblue, 01 November 2017 - 11:49.
cleanup

#22 random

random

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Babylon by Bass

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:55

I've been seeing QY300s pop up quite often and they're pretty cheap (around 100-150 €)..Isn't that more worth it in terms of budget considerations? From what I've heard it's the same as the QY700 just without the big-backlight-screen, isn't it? And no editing functionality for the sounds (which are horrible anyways imo, so I wouldn't mind).

A friend of mine had a QY700 a few years ago and only paid a similar amount. They're certainly not worth more than 200€, imo. But perhaps people now think they're cool as Squarepusher has been flashing his at gigs.

More similar as QY300 (its without Sound Edit Page) are the small Yamaha QY70 or Yamaha QY100 (better Rom-Sounds as QY70) to Yamahas QY700

With enough free Space at Home take Yamaha QY700, great Machine and second Hand cheaper as never before 

For my Ears sounds the older Yamaha Gear, Yamaha TG500 - AWM or Yamaha TG77 - AWM + FM (both can be upgrade with Sampleram) better as XG, its not so clean 

Edited by random, 29 October 2017 - 02:02.

#23 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:29

More similar as QY300 (its without Sound Edit Page) are the small Yamaha QY70 or Yamaha QY100 (better Rom-Sounds as QY70) to Yamahas QY700
With enough free Space at Home take Yamaha QY700, great Machine and second Hand cheaper as never before

Yeah, I've heard about those, they look like little pocket calculators. x) Right now I'm just gonna be patient. I'll get an e-mail in case a QY700 pops up somewhere, until then I'm gonna continue focussing on Renoise.

Edited by dblue, 01 November 2017 - 11:51.
cleanup

#24 random

random

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Babylon by Bass

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:55

Different People / Different Workflow

Renoise have a clear interface and it is Pc-Keyboard Shortcuts foccused, fast workflow, great but Renoise is also under Line only a Stepsequenzer (with a working Midi Clock) thats a strength (fast) but also a weakness (limited)
Thats not *for me* in every way better as a Midi-Sequenzer, with scalable Bars (4 16 32 and so on with the same Bpm) Piano-Keyboard foccused as the good old Yamaha QYs have inside.

Edited by random, 30 October 2017 - 12:06.

#25 clirke21

clirke21

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 17:23

Back to topic: I just got myself the Machinedrum (the old version) for a pretty good price and I think that's exactly what I've been looking for in terms of x0x-style sequencing, live-jam-kinda stuff and getting away from the laptop for a bit. It's quite old now and also has its limits, so I get all the benefits we discussed earlier. I'll dive into it and milk it for all its worth. x) (and can get rid of some of my sequencing plugins now) Thanks for the help anyways in terms of developing an opinion when it comes to the QY700. Perhaps I'll get it some day, too, but for now, I'm good.

Edited by clirke21, 31 October 2017 - 17:24.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sequencing, midi, digital