Renoise Artist Story on CDM: Ghostwerk

http://cdm.link/2017/11/twerk-like-a-specter-with-ghostwerks-shadow-culture/

https://bandcamp.com/VideoEmbed?track=2997792097&bgcol=ffffff&linkcol=0687f5

Love the renoise-capture video, very cool song and fun to see it in context of Renoise. Thanks for the link!

the track is fuckin dope man!

edit/
geez the whole album is damn good

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

<3 thanks y’all

So cool seeing all the people begging for more Renoise content :smiley:

This is very cool. Bought the album.

The article did make me curious about something.

Renoise is forever referred to as a “tracker.”

It is, but that category covers a lot of ground. When I started with Renoise (and I honestly cannot recall how I heard about Renoise) I had no thoughts of “tracker”. Renoise clicked for me much better than a few other things (I think I had tried Live at that time as well).

Renoise being a tracker never entered my head as I went about making music; it took me a while before I felt I even properly understood what made something a tracker because some things I came across all seemed to suggest serious limitations, none of which I encountered with Renoise.

So, aside from “has no piano roll”, is there anything you can’t do, or can’t do well (or easily) in Renoise that can be done better (or done at all) in a typical not-tracker DAW? Off-hand, and something I miss from Reaper, is the option to see an entire song displayed as full waves end-to-end. Anything else? (It’s not something that makes want to switch to Reaper; I’ve thought of trying that but get stalled as I think of all the things I do in Renoise.)

I’d love to see more people using Renoise, but I sometimes think the big “IT’S A TRACKER” banner hoisted in every article misleads potential users. I wonder if they see Renoise examples that interest them but then think they’d never have the skill to get the results the want using “just a tracker.” Meanwhile I (and I’m sure others) found Renoise stupid easy to use, with plenty of kick-ass features.

I’d love to see more people using Renoise, but I sometimes think the big “IT’S A TRACKER” banner hoisted in every article misleads potential users.

These phrases are used by those people who have no idea about this program. In fact, Renoise is the Hybrid DAW, that’s all.

It does not need a piano roll in order to become a DAW .I advise you not to attach importance to this kind of articles.

In fact, there is a huge problem with the majority of users about computer programs, and in general, about ways of realizing their goals in life:

Everyone thinks that the quality of his work depends on the equation of the development of a device or program … In fact, this is utter nonsense.

If someone does not approach Renoise, then he needs to change the program. If someone thinks that Renoise should change himself to such an extent that it should become synonymous with another program, he is just killing the concept of Renoise

There are no good and bad programs, there is a beginner, and an advanced user. There is a suitable program, and there is an inappropriate. Everyone chooses depending on the mind’s preference. You do not have to redesign or re-arrange what has already obtain the final form.

Sure it’s a tracker , when your p.c.keyboard dies , there no other way to enter Notes ( midi kcounted )eyboard not

Sometimes I’m just too lazy to sit straight -up in my chair ( No , I am not fat )

Where It would be nice to just enter a note with the mouse …

You have the option ( gui button ) to turn the mouse pointer into a note creater , click on a pattern line and move mouse upward/ downward to select note pitch

so, aside from “has no piano roll”, is there anything you can’t do, or can’t do well (or easily) in Renoise that can be done better (or done at all) in a typical not-tracker DAW”

It’s not really cut out for dealing with audio vocals, guitars etc). There’s no audio tracks or real audio recording, timestretching etc. For pure electronic music with a few samples it can’t be beaten though.

bad post*

Did my bit and bought the album. :slight_smile: Great tracks, and it’s a solid way of supporting Renoise in a roundabout way. Not that it ultimately matters what specific software or hardware was used to make music (it has to stand on its own), but considering how often one reads in other places, and sometimes even here, that a tracker supposedly isn’t suitable to produce professional material by today’s standards (whatever that means), it’s good to have quality stuff like Ghostwerk’s album to point to. Supporting these artists supports Renoise.

Great job, Ghostwerk. Looking forward to more from you! (Please post here on the forum when you release stuff!)

thanks guys!! i don’t post releases much on the forum, but if you want more renoise 3.1 work i just recently came out with this st-xx based EP.

https://inpuj.bandcamp.com/album/shadow-function

<3