• Interests:http://www.heartbeathero.com
    https://soundcloud.com/heartbeathero/space-nightmare

Posted 07 December 2017 - 18:05

My submission for the Mutant Breaks competition #10:

Artist: HeartBeatHero
Title: Putcha Hey! 
Genre: Drum and Bass
Year: 2017
Infinite peace, love and happiness to all!

Soundcloud: Mp3 download

Dropbox: XRNS download

Thanks to Conner_Bw who is sponsering and organising this compo.

Thanks to danoise who did the flyer for the compo!

Shout out to some fellow renosie forum members:
Stailer, Vorpal, Fenderq, PPLo, BrainClaim, Land Of Bits, midierror, Wrong, TheBellows, Coddy Dude, RedPanda, ballacr

Long live Renoise!

Checkout my website or soundcloud for the latest tracks. Synthwave and Electronic. http://www.heartbeathero.com
I love to collaborate so contact me via the website or soundcloud.

Infinite peace, love and happiness to all!
And good luck in this competition!

Edited by HeartBeatHero, 09 December 2017 - 21:37.

• Conner_Bw, TheBellows, mars.64 and 4 others like this

http://heartbeathero.com - all renoise

https://heartbeathero.bandcamp.com
HearBeatHero a.k.a Alien7

#127 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:24

Do you have any tricks / methods for creating (or simply preparing) that lo-fi sound in renoise? I have tried with a couple of bitcrusher effects and some "lo-fi" or "unstable" VST-plugins but it's still far from the result I would like.

Also, a track (or two) of vinyl noise and a band limiting filter adds to the result. What are your tips and tricks (beside using the hardware solution :-) )

@ulrikkold: Hey, thanks for the like :)

To answer your question, I have a rather simple and direct method which is to simply let the signal go through as many rounds of signal processing in any form that gives the intended result. Renoise is very neutral sounding on its own and I rely on that to check my levels and mixes or if I want to capture a pristine audio input, where the source and hardware signal path determine the overall input sound and not tainted by another software algorithm (within limits).

The one method that I have observed really does work very cheaply is line level and mic level abuse by mis matching their input output levels, which results in the introduction of noise or a distorted output (like soft clipping). In fact you can try this immediately on any recording device by letting your phone headphone output or guitar amp output and trying to record it over your sound interface line in by letting the input source play at full volume and then finding the right level so that it does not distort or peak at red(one or two occurences are fine in my experience). My MPC 500 outputs a very hot signal from both phone output and L/R outputs that my soundcard (iRig Pro 24 bit 192KHZ) find it difficult to adjust without distorting, so accordingly I find a recording device from my kit or any aux jack on a device and take it from there. The A/D conversion automatically introduces some errors along the way which degrades the sound digitally. The fact that audio manufacturers don't have to exactly follow the line level outputs to the 'T' is because of a wide variety of allowances in the specifications and those add up eventually. It's best to check what is the exact voltage output at the peripheral points and even check the resistances at circuit level if it piques your interest as the gain stages that are used in current devices or old ones can be a single stage or double stage, so the gain effectively multiplies (1st stage X 2nd stage) to give a much larger output, and so on, lots of theory involved...(not really needed to mess up something, only to fix something or understand something :))

The other more resilient method is to simply resample the output audio via the resampled function and use that exported file as the final output. MPC and other such samplers do this automatically and the sampler recording modes (mono and stereo) give an imprint when you input the original file via MPC inputs. Route this sampled output and then resample it with some mild FX like the inbuilt compressor or equal or the bit grunger set at low depths to give an overall feel, much like in mastering. Finally use a dedicated digital or analogue recorder to get the sound in the format you want.

My audio tape player from Philips has USB record feature and can record a file from usb to tape as well so that removes any guesswork. And vice versa after tape recording it can record that to USB drive again. Ideally and theoretically the more you put in a signal path the note it degrades because of the probabilistic imperfections that audio electronics imprint as every circuit is different from each other even from the same unit manufacturers; all devices like your phones have thier own electronic signature or fingerprint that makes it different from the next identical unit.

I personally never found plugin emulation reassuring, and the simple vinyl sample does more to set the mood coupled with good dose of non-linear EQing that actually causes phasing in the output(inaudible but perceptible). I customise the eq curve for each sound or instrument and never rely on presets because they simply don't work as is.

The one thing I am currently exploring is using lo-fi Arduino shields and circuits and some C programming to work directly with audio input and output buffers to sample and playback audio at lower resolutions. It's both for knowledge gain and music production use in my records. Some talkboxes and a few plugin telephone bandpass curves are kindof general purpose and can be worked from there.

It's tricky as hell though...takes time.

Edited by encryptedmind, 11 December 2017 - 15:48.

• TwoThreeZero, ulrikkold, 21esters and 1 other like this

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#128 TwoThreeZero

TwoThreeZero

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:loud

Posted 08 December 2017 - 17:24

Yo encrypted that's a pretty cool writeup on your processes. Am I right in saying you're basically just resampling through hardware repeatedly with an input signal barely brushing into the red?

Also the part about non-linear EQ causing phase artifacts is pretty cool. To my knowledge you can only really get this sort of thing with really steep cuts and notches and zero latency. Again, are you just resampling through an EQ set up this way multiple times until the artifacts become noticeable?

• encryptedmind likes this

#129 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:...daydreams... -VS- ...propaganda...

Posted 08 December 2017 - 17:58

Messing with phase is magic. Ppl tend to ignore certain effects of it and pray "bla bla phase doesn't matter unless it cancels", but this stems from traditional accoustic recording, not from an electronic music production context. Phase manipulation IS audible by itself if it is strong enough, even when it isn't directly, you can often hear a difference when A/B ing sounds with different phase messings. And then the nonlinearities come into the play - messing with phase can make a HUGE difference in sound when it is about any kind of nonlinear distortion effects! There are other ways to mess with phase than eqs, especially when working in digital domain. For example allpass filters let you manipulate the phase without altering frequencies.

But bleh, I'm out of MBC 10, I really hate the fact. Had 10 days for a barely started tune. Not enough for me working too slow, I give up on the deadline and don't want to step in with something unfinished which I'm unhappy with. But I'll still finish the tune in the coming days/weeks, and post on forums for feedback. It feels so sad to have some fancy "mutant breaks" vocal sample in it, but it won't gain me a free renoise sticker for my netbook :-(

• TwoThreeZero likes this

#130 Land of Bits

Land of Bits

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Renoise, ambient glitch texture techno breaks and bass music :)

Posted 08 December 2017 - 18:01

i want a sticker for my laptop ;;:)

hp logo suckssss :(

• ulrikkold and OopsIFly like this

#131 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:...daydreams... -VS- ...propaganda...

Posted 08 December 2017 - 18:07

You might be very happy soon, because:

Prizes:
  • Winner: $1.000.000k (CAD, via PayPal)
  • Runner up: $20 (CAD, via PayPal)
  • Most Improved: $0.05 (CAD, via PayPal)
  • Renoise Stickers (via danoise)

• TheBellows and Land of Bits like this

#132 Land of Bits

Land of Bits

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 18:38

Im not going to win...but a sticker would be awesome..😀😀😀😀🎶🎶🎶👽👽👽

Also my birthday its on january 16....

Crew send stickers to miami ♥️♥️♥️🎶🎶🎶
  • Head For Hills likes this

#133 Head For Hills

Head For Hills

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 21:05

Hey guys! This is my first MBC, and I had tons of crap to do for college, so I'm uploading an old track of mine. This has been fun!

My Track:

Artist: Head For Hills

Title: Ultraviolet

Genre: Breakcore

https://soundcloud.c...lls/ultraviolet

XRNS File:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Vote 1 : TheBellows: The Shit- Not Mutant Breaks 10

Minireview:

Nice Track, I enjoyed the atmospheric stabs and the
well coordinated beat. Around 3:10 starts those really fancy arps,
which I think are fantastic! The quiet part in the middle is a little
weak imo, but to each his own. Overall, a very nice, well mixed track
with lots of effects and great atmosphere.

Vote 2: Conor Plunkett - Air

Minireview:

Great! Texture works awesome with this. Are you Hanz Zimmer? 
Love the subtle distorted sounds as well.

Vote 3: Cyberocean: XKernel- Max Masterad

Minireview:

Whooaaa Ooooold skoooool. Love the feel of this track. The breaks are amazing
and the glitches are like pure love. Great work!

Edited by Head For Hills, 08 December 2017 - 21:08.

• Conner_Bw, mars.64 and crash_noise_division like this

#134 TheBellows

TheBellows

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2436 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 08 December 2017 - 21:41

You might be very happy soon, because:

Those are some awesome prizes! I'm going for the 'Most Improved'. I heard the CAD is high these days.

Why would i want stickers with logo of a software i barely even use every day for the last...many years? Does it even match my Renoise hoodie is my question? I haven't got anywhere to stick it anyway, except for the fridge, my desk, the cupoard, the shelf, my suitcase, my computer, my monitors, my keyboard, my laptop, my bike or my guitar. :P

Edited by TheBellows, 08 December 2017 - 21:42.

• Head For Hills and Land of Bits like this

Mutant Breaks #10

#135 Conner_Bw

Conner_Bw

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7110 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 21:56

Vote 1 :[...]

> Votes don't count until after December 10th. <

Not fair to last minute slackers.

• 21esters, Head For Hills and Land of Bits like this

cpu Lenovo X220, Intel i7-2640M @ 2.80GHz ×4 os Windows 10 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
My Homepage » : My Renoise Tools » : Normalize Your Sig » : One million clicks! »

#136 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2436 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 22:06

Hey guys! This is my first MBC, and I had tons of crap to do for college, so I'm uploading an old track of mine. This has been fun!

My Track:

Artist: Head For Hills

Title: Ultraviolet

Genre: Breakcore

https://soundcloud.c...lls/ultraviolet

XRNS File:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Vote 1 : TheBellows: The Shit- Not Mutant Breaks 10

Minireview:

Nice Track, I enjoyed the atmospheric stabs and the
well coordinated beat. Around 3:10 starts those really fancy arps,
which I think are fantastic! The quiet part in the middle is a little
weak imo, but to each his own. Overall, a very nice, well mixed track
with lots of effects and great atmosphere.

Vote 2: Conor Plunkett - Air

Minireview:

Great! Texture works awesome with this. Are you Hanz Zimmer? 
Love the subtle distorted sounds as well.

Vote 3: Cyberocean: XKernel- Max Masterad

Minireview:

Whooaaa Ooooold skoooool. Love the feel of this track. The breaks are amazing
and the glitches are like pure love. Great work!

Haha, it's a bit too early to vote and even though i appreciate the vote it's actually not my real entry you voted for there. :P

If anyone still is confused about this, my actual entry is the one in my signature. ;)

Edited by TheBellows, 08 December 2017 - 22:08.

• Head For Hills and Land of Bits like this

Mutant Breaks #10

#137 TwoThreeZero

TwoThreeZero

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:loud

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:48

Hello, here is my entry. I tried to base things heavily around the number 10. The time signature is in 5/4 or some multiple of it; most of the time I suck at identifying timesigs which aren't made of quarter notes or triplets. As many attacks, decays, delay timings, reverb sizes and any other value I could think of are based around 10 or a factor or multiple of 10 but there are plenty of occasions (particularly EQs) where I had to just go with what sounded good instead. The root note of track is C because C is the 10th letter of the musical alphabet if you start from A, but C is a pretty awful note for bass frequencies which was a struggle to work around. There is a vocal sample of a girl counting to ten in Japanese that counts upwards through the middle patterns before the climax. I also took note of the keywords "overwhelm with delight or amazement" and "go over big" so there are lots of huge reverb washes on the synths and everything threatens to overwhelm at times.

I found this year's theme very simple in general so I kept the construction of the actual synths (in Serum) pretty simple (just using basic waveforms) and there are a few times where simplicity reigns and many elements drop out leaving only the beat, such as at the start of the song and even once during when things get more chaotic towards the end. Once the track was finished, I ripped out as many VSTs as possible and replaced them with samples and vanilla Renoise plugins, seeing as I'm sharing the project file. There are couple of exceptions tho: 1) There's a Soundtoys Echoboy still on the bass track, because nothing I did kept the sound this thing produces during playback. Even rendering to samples wasn't really an option because of the random nature of the effect. 2) My mastering chain was made up of a few plugins but I've tried to approximate their settings in the master channel with some vanilla plugins. Song comments explains this further.

As before, I tried to make the project file interesting to watch during playback as well as listen to, so there's a lot of pattern effects and LPB shenanigans happening, particularly later in the track. Good luck to everyone!

MP3 DOWNLOAD:

XRNS DOWNLOAD:

https://www.mediafir...aw522h/JYU.xrns

SOUNDCLOUD:

• Conner_Bw, Djeroek, mars.64 and 6 others like this

#138 Garf

Garf

• Normal Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:13

Here's my holy shit of a song:

Download XRNS

• Conner_Bw, mars.64, 21esters and 2 others like this

#139 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6490 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:13

Crew send stickers to miami ♥♥♥

They're pretty much the size of a bumper sticker:

stick them on your lowrider and cruise those miami streets   ^_^

stickers1.jpg?raw=1

• Conner_Bw, TheBellows, J-qak and 2 others like this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#140 Head For Hills

Head For Hills

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:40

> Votes don't count until after December 10th. <

Not fair to last minute slackers.

Oops rofl. By the way, those stickers look amazing

Edited by Head For Hills, 09 December 2017 - 07:41.

#141 ulrikkold

ulrikkold

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:04

@ulrikkold: Hey, thanks for the like :)

To answer your question, I have a rather simple and direct method which is to simply let the signal go through as many rounds of signal processing in any form that gives the intended result. Renoise is very neutral sounding on its own and I rely on that to check my levels and mixes or if I want to capture a pristine audio input, where the source and hardware signal path determine the overall input sound and not tainted by another software algorithm (within limits).

[SNIP] ... 

It's tricky as hell though...takes time.

Thanks a lot for your (rather) detailed answer - That was a lot more than I had hoped for! :-)

I have to try some of this - including the "external processing" of the sound. I did not think about that before.

Thanks again!

Edited by ulrikkold, 09 December 2017 - 11:04.

• Land of Bits and encryptedmind like this

#142 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2436 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:47

Thanks a lot for your (rather) detailed answer - That was a lot more than I had hoped for! :-)

I have to try some of this - including the "external processing" of the sound. I did not think about that before.

Thanks again!

Going the hardware route like encryptedmind is probably the best way, but a different and quite unconventional method to create some wow and flutter is to load the track in Adobe After Effects, time remap it and simply use the wiggle expression on it. It's actually quite effective and sounds very good imo. 

Edited by TheBellows, 09 December 2017 - 12:53.

• encryptedmind likes this

Mutant Breaks #10

#143 Land of Bits

Land of Bits

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 14:00

They're pretty much the size of a bumper sticker:

stick them on your lowrider and cruise those miami streets   ^_^

stickers1.jpg?raw=1

they are super Nice :)

i love it :)

:)

• Conner_Bw and TheBellows like this

#144 deadhorse

deadhorse

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 15:32

The main instrument was made in redux 

xmi file download  https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Edited by deadhorse, 09 December 2017 - 15:38.

• Conner_Bw, TheBellows, TwoThreeZero and 4 others like this

#145 J-qak

J-qak

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 16:08

Hey!

Started as completely different genre, finished with this. Hope it fits in experimental category.

MP3 XRNS

• Conner_Bw, TheBellows, mars.64 and 1 other like this

#146 HeartBeatHero

HeartBeatHero

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:http://www.heartbeathero.com
    https://soundcloud.com/heartbeathero/space-nightmare

Posted 09 December 2017 - 21:51

Ok then, so I did a new song, this time a classic style(?) experimental breakbeat synthwave  :badteeth:

Download in Soundcloud.

Where is the renoise file?

http://heartbeathero.com - all renoise

https://heartbeathero.bandcamp.com
HearBeatHero a.k.a Alien7

#147 Neurogami

Neurogami

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, technology

Posted 09 December 2017 - 22:30

My entry.  "Resistor"

Wav: http://neurogami.com/downloads/Mutant_Breaks_10_Master.wav

XRNS file: http://neurogami.com..._Breaks_10.xrns

Let the voting be as wild as our music.

Edited by Neurogami, 09 December 2017 - 22:31.

• Conner_Bw, mars.64, 21esters and 1 other like this

#148 ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ

ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 23:07

@ Conner_Bw

Am I still within the deadline to submit my track today?

Just applying finishing touches and will have it ready to go.

Edited by ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ, 09 December 2017 - 23:07.

• Conner_Bw likes this

┷┯┷┯┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┗┯┷ Ŧh̢ƏRę̡ I̕§ ̛B̢ë̕ΔÜt¥ i̷Й͟ ͘È̷ЯRØŔ̵ ͠ ä₦Ð MɐĢ͟iƆ !Ṇ͢ ӍΔLℲuИ¢Ț̡ï̸Ѻп ┯┷┯┯┷┷┯┷┷┗┷┷┯  

┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┯┷┗┷┯┷┷┷┷┗┯┷┯┯┷┷┯┷┗┷┗vaeprism.com┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┯┷┗┷┯┷┗┷┗┷┯┷┷┗┷┯┷┗┯

#149 Conner_Bw

Conner_Bw

• Normal Members
  • 7110 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 23:14

The flex time deadline is the 10th Montreal Quebec Canada time when I wake up. I have (one) children so that's earlier than later. I will post a "no more submissions" giant comic sans font laden message and begin to accept votes / build the vote pack from there.

• Neurogami and J-qak like this

cpu Lenovo X220, Intel i7-2640M @ 2.80GHz ×4 os Windows 10 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
My Homepage » : My Renoise Tools » : Normalize Your Sig » : One million clicks! »

#150 Redman

Redman

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Big fluffy clouds

Posted 09 December 2017 - 23:43

comic-sans_o_1747027.jpg

• J-qak and 21esters like this