Anyone used Redux with Reason?

Reason only added VST support recently (in version 9.5), so I wondered whether anyone had tried Redux with Reason?

I think Reason instruments may still be funny about receiving notes from VSTs. The support added so far seems to focus mainly on audio effects.

I don’t think there’s a trial version of Redux or I would check myself.

what do you mean, Reason instruments receiving notes from VSTs? What VST would be sending note info to a Reason instrument, other than some kind of Arpeggiator or Sequencer device?

Anyway, Redux works fine in Reason 9.5 / 10. The only weird thing is trivial – the screenshot function doesn’t work for Redux, so in the Reason library you can’t have a cute image appear of it the way you can for every other VST I’ve tried. Must be some random glitch.

what do you mean, Reason instruments receiving notes from VSTs? What VST would be sending note info to a Reason instrument, other than some kind of Arpeggiator or Sequencer device?

There is a VST by Jam Origin for doing real-time guitar to MIDI, for example? I think people have it working in Reason, but I’m not sure what the workaround is for recording MIDI. You can send notes to synths from VSTs via the advanced MIDI settings, but that only lets you trigger the synth and not actually record the MIDI on to a track in Reasons sequencer (as far as I’m aware).

The problem I’d worry about having with Redux is that if I programmed any notes into it in a song project in Reason, I’d have no way to get that MIDI out of Redux and into a MIDI file.

Redux works great in Reason, but you cant use the Tracker with Reason instruments.

Redux works great in Reason, but you cant use the Tracker with Reason instruments.

What can you use it for? I thought it was just a tracker?

Redux is single renoise instrument .

Sure you can use the tracker , to control the samples inside redux

You can’t use the tracker to send notes , redux doesn’t have midi out

What can you use it for? I thought it was just a tracker?

Redux is not a tracker, it’s a Sampler…quite literally, it’s the Renoise sampler, in plugin form. It even uses the same file locations on your HD as renoise does, so you can access all your Renoise instruments via Redux, and vice versa.

It does include the Phrase section of the sampler, so in that sense it has some tracker functionality, but only for triggering phrases. So, I think you may have misunderstood what Redux really is…

Yes it seems like I may have misunderstood what Redux is. I thought of it as some kind of tracker/MIDI sequencer plugin.

Thanks for clearing this up!

I’m just fooling around with Redux in Reason right now. FYI they both have trial versions.

The workflow is really weird for me but I think there is promise here. Redux is great for, if nothing else, throwing in that “obligatory” simple break into a more synth focused Reason song without awkward and limiting rex files. I’ll share something once I solve some problems I’ve been having.