Renoise Crash Automating BPM while playing

I have noticed a couple of times that Renoise crashes when automating BPM, but it only seems to happen while track is playing and i’m doing changes to the automation at the same time.

Not a huge problem, as it’s not something i do often and i usually stop the song while editing, but i sometimes forget. It’s a hard crash and no backup song is created, so you will lose some work when it happens.

Do you have a crash log? Could be caused by a VST plugin, too!

It’s a hard crash and no backup song is created, so you will lose some work when it happens.

Was that a bug report or a cautionary tale?

I could try to recreate this - but without using VSTs, and not while working on my entry for MBC10 :lol:

It could very well be caused by VSTs, i have no idea. It doesn’t happen all the time, so i really have no idea what triggers it.

It happened a few days ago and I just thought i should mention it as it has happened to me a few times. I can see if i find the crash log or try to recreate it.

You could temporarily enable sandboxing (u know u have to restart Renoise after that). It could be possible then that you will get an actual crash message with some details, if a vet is the cause for the crash.

I tried for a while now, but not been able to recreate the problem, so i don’t know.

I forgot to mention that my ASIO driver had stopped working after the crash, so maybe it’s just a soundcard driver issue?

I wonder if this might be the log:

[details=“Click to view contents”] ============================================================
Version : Renoise V3.1.0 (Jan 9 2016)
Date : 2017-11-10
Time : 20:08:30

CPU: Found 1 enabled unit(s) with 6 core(s) and 12 logical processor(s) per unit. 6 cores, 12 logical processors are enabled in total.

Application: Showing the splash window…
Application: Initializing the API…

IPP: Detected CPU type: 0x46

MIDI: Initializing DirectMusic…
MIDI: Failed to get the DirectMusicPerformance Interface (error: 80040154). Skipping DirectMusic devices…

Graphport: Initializing Freeimage…

System: Using ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources’ as resource base directory…

GraphPort: Initializing DirectX…
GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine…

Content Libraries: Found library ‘com.renoise.djeroek_vol_2’

ReWire Slave: ReWire slave engine link (Local Machine) FAILED to install (RegError: 5)
ReWire Slave: ReWire engine link (Current User) is already installed and up to date…
ReWire Slave: ReWire Panel was initialized…
ReWire Slave: ReWire Slave mode failed to init (no master is running)…

ReWire Master: Successfully opened

Timer: Seems safe to use the ‘QueryPerformance’ counters…

Application: Start running…
Application: Loading the preferences…

Application: Init…

ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.Snapshot.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.IRCclient.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Rubberband.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\dk.atte.DeleteUnusedSamples.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.ConvertInstrumentNumber.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\mphogacz.renoisetools.VelocityRandomizer.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\org.illformed.SlicesToPattern.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\Ragnar\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\re.dread.dBatchProcess.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.ToolUpdater.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.UpdateChecker.xrnx’…

DspDevices: Registering native DSP effects…

Audio Plugins: Searching for VST plugins in ‘C:\VSTPlugins’

ASIO: Initializing
ASIO: Trying to open ‘QUAD-CAPTURE’
ASIO: LoadAsioDriver … OK
ASIO: ASIOInit … OK
ASIO: Using SampleRate 44100
ASIO: PostOutput is supported
ASIO: FillDriverInfo … OK
ASIO: InputBuffers: 6 available, 2 selected - Type 18
ASIO: OutputBuffers: 4 available, 2 selected - Type 0
ASIO: OutputLatency: 511, InputLatency: 403
ASIO: CreateBuffers … OK
ASIO: ASIOStart … OK
ASIO: Up and running

MIDI: Enumerating Windows MME MIDI devices…
MIDI: Adding MME in-device ‘QUAD-CAPTURE’
MIDI: Adding MME out-device ‘Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth’
MIDI: Adding MME out-device ‘QUAD-CAPTURE’
MIDI: Finished device enumeration
MIDI: Creating MIDI server…
MIDI: Opening MME Midi-In device ‘QUAD-CAPTURE’
MIDI: Opening MME Midi-Out device ‘QUAD-CAPTURE’

Application: Loading the template document…

MIDI: Loading MIDI actions from file ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Scripts\GlobalMidiActions.lua’…

Osc: Loading OSC actions from file ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Scripts\GlobalOscActions.lua’…

Player: Constructing…
Player: Creating slave threads…
Player: 12 threads enabled. 12 CPUs are available.
Player: Start running…

GUI: Creating the Document GUI…
GUI: Successfully constructed

Application: Successfully loaded template document.

GraphPort: Initializing in WindowedMode
GraphPort: Successfully initialized

Application: Init OK
Application: Enter MainLoop…

KeyEventHandler: Unknown DirectInput key pressed. ScanCode:‘0xB7’

KeyEventHandler: Unknown DirectInput key pressed. ScanCode:‘0xB7’ [/details]