Change track resolution

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I’m using renoise for about five years, but I found something I can’t get through. I’m trying to record a fast melody, but current pattern length in lines (64 at 97 BPM), cut it out. Don’t know how to specifically search this, but I need to set a single track with more resolution, so it can record all the notes I’m playing, for example, instead of 64, 128 or 256. I’m not recording audio, only MIDI with my keyboard.

Thanks in advice!

Sounds like you want to turn the [Q] Qauntize button off? so that recording note delays (256 per line) is enabled

Bottom left of pattern bar:

3.0_recording-quantize.png

Quantize button is already off. The problem is that I have the whole song made with a resolution of 64, but when I record via MIDI with the keyboard, the melody speed is faster than the resolution of the project. I need to set a bigger resolution, but just from 1 track.

I see, the only way I can think of is to record your melody into a phrase with a higher LPB in that phrase (up to 256). Then just have the phrase triggered with a C-4 in the pattern editor.

If you only need to change the pattern length so that you have a longer stretch of time to work with, you can use the value box found in the upper left corner of the pattern editor.

See: Pattern Editor

If you need more effective resolution to fit more notes into a certain amount of time, you can change the song’s LPB value (Lines Per Beat).

LPB is roughly equivalent to the PPQN setting you might find in a typical MIDI sequencer, and it can be automated on a pattern by pattern basis using the ZLxx command.

See: Song Transport Panel and Global Effect Commands

For a working example of LPB automation, check out the included demo song in Renoise itself: Main Menu > Help > Tutorials and Demo Songs > Tutorial - Lines Per Beat

What dBlue said.

(face saving --> I was assuming that you wanted/ needed to keep the 64 length patterns :))

Still Renoise’s note recording precision is dependent on audio latency and also LPB - but it should not! E.g. with huge latency, it should just delay the notes, but the gap between the notes should be still the same as played - it is not, esp. after recording. It seems to be some logical conceptual problem inside the code to me.

Also automation recording is per line only… :ph34r:

Interesting, wasn`t aware of the latency issue, as I generally step sequence with renoise.

Re. automation, been meaning to put some sub-line mode on Automation Single Slider for a while now… should bump that up my TODO list, though I fear its one of those ones thatll get more complicated once I dig into the code…

It needs to be fixed on core level.

What dBlue said.

(face saving → I was assuming that you wanted/ needed to keep the 64 length patterns :))

I need to keep the 64 length patterns in order to keep the whole arrangements I made. If I change the length patterns, I assume it will not move previous notes in order to keep the arrangements.

If you only need to change the pattern length so that you have a longer stretch of time to work with, you can use the value box found in the upper left corner of the pattern editor.

See: Pattern Editor

If you need more effective resolution to fit more notes into a certain amount of time, you can change the song’s LPB value (Lines Per Beat).

LPB is roughly equivalent to the PPQN setting you might find in a typical MIDI sequencer, and it can be automated on a pattern by pattern basis using the ZLxx command.

See: Song Transport Panel and Global Effect Commands

For a working example of LPB automation, check out the included demo song in Renoise itself: Main Menu > Help > Tutorials and Demo Songs > Tutorial - Lines Per Beat

dBlue, I can not change the pattern length of the current song, I have a lot of arrangements already made. I assume the same goes for changing the LPB value. I also think that I can’t made an LPB automation, because I’m recording live. As I said, it’s a very fast arrangement, the length of the current pattern is not enough to record all the notes, that’s why I need to change the pattern length of a single track.

Perhaps I’m not understading the responses very well, or I can’t communicate the issue clearly (english is not my native language).

Thanks in advice!

You would need to expand the notes to fit the new BPM

i.e.

1. changing the LPB from 4 to 8, using: ZL08 … (ZL04 after if you want to switch back) – The master track might be a good place for this command

2. Double the number of lines in the pattern from 64 to 128

3. Go to renoise Advanced Edit panel and use the Expand function on everything in that pattern

note: You want to choose the option Whole Pattern here, or Select everything in the pattern before hitting Expand.

3.0_advancededit.png

3.0_advancededit-contentmask.png

3.0_advancededit-cutcopypaste.png

dBlue also wrote a tool to help with more difficult LPB jumps which is worth a look:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-3-0-flexible-pattern-resizer/30664

I need to keep the 64 length patterns in order to keep the whole arrangements I made. If I change the length patterns, I assume it will not move previous notes in order to keep the arrangements.

Each individual pattern can have its own unique length — it’s not a single global setting that affects all patterns in your song.

You can have some patterns that are 64 lines, some that are 128 lines, and so on.

Changing the length will not move or rearrange any previous notes for you — that’s something you’ll need to do manually if you find it necessary to do so.

FYI: It’s also possible to split a pattern into multiple smaller patterns, or join multiple patterns into one larger pattern, by using the functions within the Pattern Sequencer.

Just right-click (or cmd-click on Mac) some of the numbered pattern blocks and look at the options found in the context menu under ‘Organize’.

For example:

7776 renoise-join-patterns.png