Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Inverting while playing ping-pong

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 17:52

Inverting while playing ping-pong backwards

Edited by ffx, 14 July 2018 - 09:02.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#2 dblue

dblue

Dodgy Geezer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5811 posts
  • Interests:Code. Music. Graphics.

Posted 21 December 2017 - 18:14

The trick with ping pong loops is to put the loop points at the peaks of the waveform, not at the zero crossings.

Flipping the phase would certainly be an interesting extra option, but it should not totally replace how ping pong currently works.
  • Djeroek, ffx and pat like this

#3 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • 3396 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 18:30

Oh! Right :)  Thanks for the tip.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#4 Zer0 Fly

Zer0 Fly

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • Interests:Flying

Posted 21 December 2017 - 18:32

you could "fake" this type of operation by "unrolling" the loop - copy, paste, reverse - and flipping phase of the copy.

I normally also use the usual solution for the ping pong clicking problem, that involves placing the loop marker not onto a zero crossing but onto the apex of a peak, it takes some experimentation and experience to find suitable peaks though and not all samples are friendly to this operation. I find your take on this (inversion) very interesting!

Edit: I tried out your idea, it works really smooth...just duplicating the zero crossing defined loop section, reverse, invert, set loop to normal operation. Yay! Thanks for bringing up the question.

Edited by OopsIFly, 21 December 2017 - 18:50.

• ffx likes this

#5 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 3396 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 18:55

Nice to hear, will try that, too!

#6 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 3396 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:01

Hey dblue,

I thought about this a bit further: for pretty symmetrical waveforms your trick would work (placing the loop point at the peak), but what about waveforms like a saw tooth? If you would invert while playing backwards, a perfect sawtooth ping-pong loop was possible...
  • EatMe likes this

#7 EatMe

EatMe

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:00

Using ping-pong loops, at least for me, has been a (where did that out-of-phase plops come from) delicate issue since early tracker tracking days.

Renoise (a very good program for tracking) has a very exciting feature in the sampler which gives great results, better than any ping-pong loop could ever make: Cross Fade Loop!

The Cross Fade Loop can be accessed by:

- right-clicking the sample window, from context menu item Process -> Cross Fade Loop;

or; - default shortcut key: CTRL F in the sample window

or; - button in the bottom of the sampler window: >< directly on the left of the Loop Direction dropdown ("Forward" by default)

Note: the Cross Fade Loop changes the sample to a sample that is looped with a new, cross faded, resampled end.

Edited by EatMe, 19 July 2018 - 04:11.

#8 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 3396 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:33

Btw. Upcoming bitwig 2.4 also inverts phase for backwards play in ping-pong.