Warning: UBUNTU 17.10 might destroy your BIOS

This topic might by obsolete in a few days but if you’re an LENOVO-User you might destroy your PC when using Ubuntu 17.10 or even booting the live-Version.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1734147

If possible, I will delete this topic, when ubuntu released a new version.

The download of Ubuntu 17.10 is currently discouraged due to an issue on certain Lenovo laptops. Once fixed this download will be enabled again.

huh Lenovo again produced a faulty bios that could hang up itself in malfunction. I remembered the same story from some years ago, when the first EFI bios models came out, and some lenovo models could be bricked by chance by some linux uefi component, which btw itself adhered to the standards iirc. seems like they haven’t learnt from that, or maybe…just don’t care as long as windows is stable…

sad stuff, bios components being programmed as sloppy as cheap end-user-software. one would normally expect special care in regard to stability… if software bums out, you maybe loose a file of work or two, if bios craps out you will loose whole computer functionality…

Why blaming Lenovo? Did you read the link? Also causing problems with Acer, Toshiba, and HP.

Yes, I did read this: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/d9018976cdb6eefc62a7ba79a405f6c9661b08a7

Edit: Opinions on the Issue seem to point out that the EFI Firmware of the affected devices is not 100% standard compliant. I know no details about the used infrastructure, but it seems like setting a certain feature that is thought for a different use case would trigger the bios into bringing itself into a broken state by it reacting in a way that wasn’t predictable from only knowing the official EFI specs. For windows the drivers come from the manufacturer itself, who knows what he has running. It might seem logical when other manufacturers also suffer from the breakage, that they perhaps use the same modules from the same supplier in their bios’es? Mind you that the problem seems to only affect certain types of notebooks, the same driver most probably works fine on other Intel system bios flash infrastructures.

This is a nice reminder for me, in future I will try to only buy machines that are declared compatible with linux systems by the manufacturer itself, and not using any proprietary driver modules to achive linux compatibility. Maybe this will also raise awareness, that many hardware manufacturers are ignorant when it comes to linux compatibility, and trying anyways will mean risking breaking the system.

Edit 2: even on the lauchpad main bug report is written: “Bug may effect machines from any manufacturer that uses BIOS based on Insyde Software”

Ouch… guess I better be careful before moving over to linux on my main production machine. Was planning on doing it after finishing off a couple of tunes I have going. Thanks for the heads up @Marc Shake

Ouch… guess I better be careful before moving over to linux on my main production machine. Was planning on doing it after finishing off a couple of tunes I have going. Thanks for the heads up @Marc Shake

Just don’t. Linux is hassle. Linux is pain.

I prefer the hassle that is nessecary to take a step away sideways from certain corporate interests, financial obligations and most importantly having to stand the constant perversive mindfuck that usually comes in company with using mainstream commercial products nowadays.

But you’re right, you won’t get that freedom for free. You need to become a crazy nerd to love linux, or you need to know or pay one who will wipe your ass when things are fubar inside your box once again.

If linux was easier to use and more failsave, certain companies would probably drive pressure on governments to legally cripple free software even more, because it would harm their interests to have a competetive product on the market that is better and available for free. So I consider it a lucky fact that linux is pretty brainfucked and requires patience, dedication and perseverance to enable a person to privately use it in full glory. Also time is never boring this way, though sometimes it hurts to have to fix something while you would love to do something else during that time.

Other than that, this thread is a very good pointer that if you take interest in the linux world, it is sometimes advisable to take an extra step sideways and let lots of sheep following the urge to have the very very newest shit break their boxes first, until the bugs are found and fixed up and you could dare to put your more valuable boxes into the same flow. I only install or update ubuntu LTS versions after their first point release, never the bleeding edge…

Linux is cool, because you keep full control all the time. Yes, right. Microsoft messed up, and now Apple totally messes up. A pity so many awesome plugins are not available for Linux, also there does not seem to be common standards in Linux, in which developers could trust in. So commercial devs usually don’t give a shit. Personally I really hate how Debian changed after 3 major versions, and at the same time keeping almost all old mechanisms, too. Or let’s take mysql, now MariaDB, what a pain is the 5.7 transition. In the end, communication is bad in each single community nowadays and pain is everywhere, too. Maybe it’s a generation problem. Everybody is so super smart and cool at once, nowadays. Nobody can listen. I like Linux for the freedom having an option not to patch the recent security hole into the kernel, if I decide for performance instead. Windows for maximum compatibility andconsistency, macos for the best workflow experience. In the end, all three suck in their very own way. You just decide for the way of pain.

Just don’t. Linux is hassle. Linux is pain.

Maybe for you that’s true but that isn’t true for all users of Linux. For me it’s been for useful than pain. Its more transparent, I claim it in my case to have been more robust over time. More configurable and so on.

So I encourage people to make up their own mind by trying it rather than telling people “just don’t”.

I did not want to start a pro/con-Linux discussion. :wink: In fact I run Linux since 4 years and I never had any issues. Most of my win-vst still work and the configuration-marathons are history nowadays. You can install renoise as simple as in Windows and once you understand how carla or airwave work, renoise even thinks these vsts are “linux-vst”.

At the moment, this issue is still a thing.

Ubuntu 17.10 will be rereleased on January 11 with the fixes in place to prevent bricking certain hardware configs:https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-release/2018-January/004263.html

Topic closed.