#1 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:59

Hello,

Ive been asking myself lately what is the proper way of time stretching in Renoise and maybe other trackers.

And lets leave rubberband tool out of this :-).

I love the sound of synced, slowed melodic loops but because i cant control the tonal changes i can end with dissonant loop (is it right?) and so it can be hard to create a good sounding companion bass on chromatic scale.
By moving the BPM the tone / key changes so it is even harder...

In Reaper for example, i take loop, stretch it and then pitch it down by selectable amount of semitones so it will stay on the key. And then i can change tempo of the song and the tone of the sample wont change.

I ve got feeling that there is a different way how to think about downpitching / stretching in trackers and sync is redudant.
Some basic oldskul technique? 
Can somebody give me the idea? Thanks

Edited by Akiz, 23 December 2017 - 13:23.

• El°HYM likes this

#2 El°HYM

El°HYM

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:I AM El°HYM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:03

Actually the #Rubberband Timestretch/pitchshifting combined with the technic you described and want to use, is pretty perfect.

Why do you want to dismiss the easiest solution here?

Inside ur Renoise; helping Byte-Smasher putting Cab Sims on ur Master.  :ph34r: 

#3 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:25

I don't always... but the rubberband is destructive

So when you change your tempo you have to apply rubber band again.

But i would love to know if there another technique that is more consistent with tempo changes (sometimes i make track on 130bpm and then change it to 90bpm).

#4 trueschool

trueschool

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 21:51

Also, the rubberband plugin has started failing on me, throwing an error message.

The question stands -- is there a "tracker native" way to chop samples and assign them to discrete lines so they can be played at different BPMs? I've seen different approaches, but I think Renoise needs to take a stand and show people the best way to do this VERY VERY common task. 

#5 m.arthur

m.arthur

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:EBM, IDM, industrial, radiophonic & beyond

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:42

The question stands -- is there a "tracker native" way to chop samples and assign them to discrete lines so they can be played at different BPMs? I've seen different approaches, but I think Renoise needs to take a stand and show people the best way to do this VERY VERY common task. 

Well certainly one classic method is simply to Slice the loop, then use the S___ effect command in the pattern editor. You can set the first S value to the first slice, the last S value to the last slice, and then interpolate between them (select the full pattern range and hit Command-I to interpolate the in-between values). For this to work well you certainly want to have as many slices as possible...  you can also just use the S command without slicing, and interpolate between the start / finish, though you'll have to guess a bit at the finish value.

There are others, and the one above isn't always the best approach, but it can be very useful / effective. 

Renoise has no time-stretching algorithm currently (unless you use Rubberband) so I'm not sure what other 'magic' solution you're looking for. The simplest method (beatsync) will of course re-pitch the audio. But guess what old-school, classic samplers did: they re-pitched the audio....

hope this helped with your VERY VERY common question!

Edited by m.arthur, 27 February 2018 - 01:43.

• trueschool likes this

old-school industrial music:  dead when i found her

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loops, time stretching, pitching, sync