Renoise needs a book!

Come on, Live’s got several books and by having one for Renoise I’m positive its popularity would go up.

And it’s not that Renoise gets updated that fast that a book would be obsolete in 2-3 months right?

Tips and tricks section as an ebook could be cool if it was all organized. I would buy it for $1.99.

I’d buy a book for both total beginners and seasoned trackers for 20€.

I originally pointed this out (afaik)

https://forum.renoise.com/t/no-media-for-renoise-or-any-trackers-in-the-market/47966

and I wish things were so easy but making rounds with publishers takes time with their proposal editorial rounds and all that stuff, takes months before you get any sort of progress…I have been through this before so I know it takes around a year before anything comes to market. But a fun guide can certainly be done in shorter amont of time to get things started and whet the appetite and I think it’s best to do it without getting delayed because of the publishers doing their sh*t…

Give me a month or so from today and I will upload an ebook for making music with Renoise. Some topics you would like to read are welcome as ideas for the final TOC.

I’m afraid a fun guide would be like a “For Dummies”-book, I’d like to see an in-depth book with lots of tips’n tricks.

I fully studied the pdf but I’m sure I can learn much more.

I’m afraid a fun guide would be like a “For Dummies”-book, I’d like to see an in-depth book with lots of tips’n tricks.
I fully studied the pdf but I’m sure I can learn much more.

Ya I feel you, but basics does not mean boring, trust me on this one, loads of good info can be compiled that can go very deep from each one of them. In-depth is my focus too, keeping some mainstream goals in mind too and some genres that I am more into as well. I also want to make this as an introduction for musicians from other genres. Let’s see how it goes :slight_smile:

I’d like a chapter on converting notation to renoise pattern editor.

@lettuce: non sequitor, I love vegetables.:slight_smile:

This one seems rather straightforward, from the notation software export a midi file type 1 or 0. Load the midi file to a new Renoise project and copy paste the midi data from there to a other project or work on that one from scratch. Sure will include this with screenshots and more details.

Thanks for the input!

I beg to differ, a book would be a terrible idea*.

Don’t get me wrong, i love books. I love them with my heart and soul and fingers and nose.

But when it comes to softwares, especially those that make noise, you need video tutorials. Oh god would I love a centralized resource center for renoise tutorials…

*and YES, even for a slow moving software like renoise.

Also, you can do what I did and print the manual in a copy shop. It’ll cost you around the price of a book and you’ll have pages to flip around when needed. The manual is, in itself a really good Renoise book.

1 Like

Renoise needs some devs.

I hate video tutorials, they are slow, i dont know how much time i can skip to get information i need.
I know how to read fast, i mean really fast, so digital book is the way to go for me.

“A book tells the future to a jock and changes his life forever.”

http://www.channel101.com/episode/404

#random

Renoise needs a Movie & this forums a Soap Opera :walkman:

I hate video tutorials, they are slow, i dont know how much time i can skip to get information i need.
I know how to read fast, i mean really fast, so digital book is the way to go for me.

Of course some people prefer books ! But not that many anymore !

Renoise is a niche and book tutorial have become a niche as well… it’s not a bad idea in itself, it’s just that very few people will care. And that’d be a shame because writing a book is a LOT of work.

Then again, renoise already has a great book : its manual. So here’s some options : read it and if you feel like something is missing or not well written : see what you can do to improve it with the team.

Also, nowadays there are online print-on-demand services to get this manual as a book.

Rather than writing a book from scratch : someone can lead a community effort to improve and expend the manual and find a service to “bookify” it (ie : not me : I’m happy with my self printed manual. I’m just suggesting)

13227428._UY630_SR1200,630_a

A9UT_1_20160317654972649a

1 Like

There are various mixing concepts that have become totally unique to Renoise because of the implementation of Effects Chains on the XRNI.

Furthermore, the phrase functionality, changes how one can implement, in a very fast way, basslines that run for many, many patterns, and then instantly change up - all by just entering 1 note in a pattern, but having the multiple phrases on the XRNI.

A Renoise book could also look @ sampling and beat slicing. Finally, track arranging - in a vertical way, could be explored.

1 Like

I like how the “Learn To” section applies to Renoise almost as much as it does to (what I’m assuming was) Excel. Lol