Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 21:51

Fairlight%20Promo%20Shot%203.jpg

FAIRLIGHT CMI

Being one who has drooled over the Fairlight CMI since the 80s, and having recently had both the pleasure and displeasure of playing around with the Arturia CMI V, it got me thinking.  Was just listening to Jarre's Zoolook album (see attached), which was almost entirely produced on the Fairlight CMI, and I was wondering if anyone here is aware of other albums produced at least mainly on the Fairlight CMI, preferably albums that are very strange and inventive?

Would love to know of any you know of, so as long as it uses large amounts of Fairlight CMI like this one does, feel free to post it :walkman:

ARTURIA CMI V

Also, for anyone curious, I played around with the demo version of CMI V from Arturia, but have mixed feelings about it.  The plus side is that it's truly a Fairlight CMI for a fraction of the cost, well, almost.  And that's the problem you see, the "almost" part.  What Arturia fail to tell you is that, despite the emulation being based on the worlds most famous sampler, it actually does not sample at all.  That's right, the most important feature of the Fairlight CMI, it's ability to sample, is completely missing.  You have no idea how frustrating this is for me after reading that finally we have a stand-alone Fairlight CMI emulation that even includes the sequencer.  I mean, how ridiculous does it get to go to all that trouble, even promote it as a "spot-on" emulation of the Farlight CMI, when the thing doesn't even do sampling and resampling?

I could go on for hours about how incredibly good the rest of it is, but sadly it's let down by those two desperately missing features, and two serious workflow issues:

- No sampling (missing feature)
- No re-sampling (missing feature)
- After using arrow keys to select sounds, the sound browser does not load them after pressing enter (workflow issue)
- The sequencer doesn't allow you to specify the key used in a sequnce slot by pressing a note on a MIDI keyboard (workflow issue)

Those issues might not sound like much, but for a Fairlight fanatic like myself to avoid buying the product because of those things, trust me, they're a lot bigger issue than you might think.  It's such a shame, I could forgive the workflow issues at a push (although they could easily be fixed), but the complete lack of sampling and resampling on a sampler emulation, is just not on.  If this thing was truly what they claim it to be, then they should have a modeled input stage with sampling and resampling ability in there.

If anyone bought a copy, or knows anyone at Arturia, please post a link to this thread so that those in charge at Arturia can see it.  If they truly value feedback then they might even thank you for it as I'm guessing these omissions will be quietly pissing-off a whole bunch of Fairlight fanatics who thought they finally had a self-contained Fairlight CMI DAW - but still do not.  I can only hope that Arturia will see this and fix the four issues pointed out above, in an update.  If they did that, the Arturia V would truly be the next best thing to owning an actual Fairlight CMI.

Why is there always a spanner in the works?

Edited by Renoised, 28 December 2017 - 12:32.

• Ledger and El°HYM like this

#2 robohymn

robohymn

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 00:43

Just wanted to mention, in case you've never come across it, the Peter Vogel CMI Pro app for iOS (I think it only works on iPads, not iPhones). It's a very good, quite thorough reproduction of a Fairlight, has the original libraries, you can sample with it, etc... of course you need an iPad, though.

Maybe Arturia will update their CMI with the desired functionality in future? I live their Prophet VS emu, both the desktop and iOS versions. Anyway sorry I'm not much help, just thought I'd mention.

Edited by robohymn, 28 December 2017 - 00:43.

• El°HYM likes this

#3 El°HYM

El°HYM

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:I AM El°HYM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:18

Herbie used it quite often, back in them days:

Most famous, maybe on this one:

link: http://royayersproje...-fairlight-cmi/

• Ledger likes this

#4 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 16:49

@robohymn, yep, would be cool to have the official Vogel app, but like you said, it's iPad only.  I would definitely be interested in an android version, or better still, a desktop version that runs full-screen without any gimmicky external graphics.  Would be very cool indeed to have the official Fairlight software simply made available to run on a desktop, and it always amazes me why they've not done so, I mean let's face it, the vast majority of people wanting something like this are not going to pay $20,000.00 for one (and that's the modern day cheaper price).

Really is a shame about the limitations of the Arturia version though, cause that does run on a desktop, it even runs in standalone mode, effectively making it a standalone Fairlight DAW, or at least it would be if they hadn't left out the sampling and resampling - so those limitations I pointed out earlier are very hard to swallow!  I mean, just imagine, as the sequencer is 32 steps, with the ability to resample as well that would allow you to create samples that are locked to exact step sizes, anything from 1 to 32 steps.  Those sequences could be re-sampled and loaded back as a sample, put on a sigle sequence track and be manipulated as a single sample.  So damn frustrating that such obvious features are missing!

@El°HYM, Cool edition of Sesame Street, I was waiting for one of the kids to say "I want one for Christmas!"
And for the reply "Good luck with that one kid, unless you got yourself a very rich daddy!"

Edited by Renoised, 28 December 2017 - 16:52.

• El°HYM likes this

#5 El°HYM

El°HYM

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 17:01

Well, not sure about the rich Dad, yet Tatyana actually somehow did stay in the music - biz;

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Tatyana_Ali

#6 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 21:20

Heh, perhaps she has one then, those filthy-rich Bel Air girls :lol: 

#7 El°HYM

El°HYM

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 22:14

Star-Wars-Characters-C3PO1-300x238.jpg

How about a Renoise Instrument using the single cycle samples of the CMI....too much work, or a very good idea?

http://www.nattvard.com/iix/info.php

Edited by El°HYM, 30 December 2017 - 10:14.

#8 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 23:36

Listen bro, don't give me that look, I don't know!

That's a excellent Fairlight site, and actually, I suppose due to the age, all that RAW sample data is in the public domain now?
Interesting idea they have with their utilities, I suppose it acts as a sort of sound exchange for Fairlight CMI owners B)

If so, I'm tempted to use SynthMaker to create my own standalone Fairlight-inspired DAW!
I'm not a programmer, but I can get by fairly well with SynthMaker when I have to :D

BTW, here's a cool new video from SonicState on the Fairlight CMI, recorded just a few months ago (a recently renovated series III in this case), really enjoyed it:

• El°HYM likes this

#9 El°HYM

El°HYM

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 23:41

Thats not Me; just #C3PO

A vst also sounds interesting & yepp those are the original floppies pulled online, kind of raw data CMI.

Nice Vid!  :ph34r:

Edited by El°HYM, 30 December 2017 - 19:45.

#10 El°HYM

El°HYM

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:53

Found another original Gem: 

#11 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 17:39

Well that was "kinda cute" and "rather delightfull" - Well it's what the man said!

Here's a Fairlight CMI in action (literally), doing its 80s thing, although it's a close call as to whether the close-up shots of the Fairlight CMI or the women in bikinis are hottest.
Your opinion will be biased directly by how 'anorak' you are:

• Conner_Bw and El°HYM like this

#12 Conner_Bw

Conner_Bw

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7128 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 22:10

Miami Vice == Jan Hammer Born in1948 in Prague, Czechoslovakia. [...]  the Miami Vice Soundtrack hit number one on the Billboard Top Pop album charts and achieved quadruple-platinum status with U.S. sales of more than four million copies. [...] produced the original score for Cocaine Cowboys, a 2006 documentary depicting the infamous Miami drug trade scene of the 1980s.

• El°HYM likes this

cpu Lenovo X220, Intel i7-2640M @ 2.80GHz ×4 os Windows 10 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
My Homepage » : My Renoise Tools » : Normalize Your Sig » : MBC Archives »

#13 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 17:41

Yep, catchy track, he did impressively well on the sales and really enjoyed performing it from the looks of it :yeah: