How to receive MIDI from a ReWire master

Hello.

I am trying to send MIDI from Reaper to Renoise when Reaper is the master and Renoise is the Slave.

I’ve been at it for over an hour, I’ve browsed the manual extensively, and I’m still nowhere.

The ReWire slave section of Renoise’s manual mentions “virtual loopback MIDI cables” but I’m not sure what they are, and I have no idea how to set them.

For your curiosity, here’s my setup : I am composing a song in Reaper, using a hardware synth. However, I would like to use Renoise as a MIDI editor for my hardware synth, because I like its tracker layout better than Reaper’s MIDI editor’s grid. Never mind where the audio from the synth goes, that is not the issue here. I don’t think I could use Redux for that (right?). And it makes sense that Renoise would be slave because I’m only using it for one track. Now, here’s where it gets tricky: I’ve already recorded some MIDI I played on a keyboard in Reaper. I’d like to transfer it from Reaper to Renoise. My idea was to create a “send” from the MIDI track in Reaper to the Renoise track in Reaper, hit play in Reaper and record in Renoise. This might look a bit complication (and I’m open to simpler suggestions), but my problem doesn’t arise from that complication: even in a simpler situation, I still can’t manage to pass MIDI from a Reaper slave to a Renoise master.

PS: I work on a Mac

(I wish I didn’t but I do anyway).

Thanks