Record "What-U-Hear"

This would be an awesome inclusion, just record everything you do (eg mutes/pattern loop repeats/slider adjustments) the moment you hit that big Record button.

AND ofcourse make everything record into the patterns and make it fully editable afterwards to correct any timing errors you made.

I can now use an external record-audio app, but then it’s a fixed wav-file and I can’t edit it anymore.

Anyone else who could use this?

[edit]

I realize this is a BIG change programatically, but it’s REALLY necessary. So what do you say devs?

oops,I inattentively read the post… delete this

I realize this is a BIG change programatically, but it’s REALLY necessary. So what do you say devs?

None of this would be impossible, and could even be achieved with clever use of the existing features. But eventually, you will find that the pie-in-the-sky turns into a complicated as hell feature to implement.

But I have certainly been thinking of a tool which does something similar. The thing is, I love to scrub the timeline when playing a pattern, jumping between them as playback progresses through a song (insta-remix). Tricky to do, but I think it could be pulled off (basically “rendering” a new song from the result of your manipulations).

And the muting and solo’ing of track is closely related, ultra-powerful for performances, and sadly not something which is captured while recording (well, apart from matrix mutes, but they are more of a compositional building block).

Also, the continuous recording of patterns is a important thing to consider. I personally have used bystrano’s AutoClonePatternsfor years, and it never failed me. Nice little gem for those jam-sessions where you just want to keep playing without having to consider if you’re running out of space.

Well I CAN mute a track and have it record into the pattern by using a button on my midi controller, using it as a toggler and have it send -Inf when pressed and 0.00dB when pressed again, this being sent to a track’s volume. But using this method you can’t see in Renoise whether a track is on or off and it’s nearly impossible to remember what is on or off when using 10+ tracks.

But yeah a big change, maybe it would warrant a 4.0 version jump?

I recently made a song while jamming, I just created a bunch of 512-size patterns and jammed live from my pc keyboard. Great fun. :slight_smile:

Now all I have to do is arrange the none-lead tracks, maybe edit the live lead a bit.

[edit] Hm version 4.0 would be a bit much, maybe 3.5 or something.

you can’t see in Renoise whether a track is on or off and it’s nearly impossible to remember what is on or off when using 10+ tracks.

IOW, you’re asking for something which, with a bit of careful planning can be achieved today, but the problem is that the edits you make are largely buried deep down in automation lanes.

This is interesting, because it’s turning more into a problem of representation then.

I mean, if you tweak a parameter using the right mouse button it will be recorded. And if you had set up a mixer with gainers, they too would get recorded.

It sort of brings my thoughts back to the “advanced automation” topic, but with an additional dimension to it:

that you could start a recording session with a blank slate (no automation lanes visible), and then have them added as you tweak parameters.

I would probably want the automation editor to have presets then (which parameters to show), to switch between various “workflows” (e.g. a mixer view, or some specific set of parameters).

IOW, you’re asking for something which, with a bit of careful planning can be achieved today, but the problem is that the edits you make are largely buried deep down in automation lanes.

This is interesting, because it’s turning more into a problem of representation then.

Well not exactly since you can’t record “loop pattern 1 four times, then go to pattern 5 and loop that”.

Maybe i’m thinking too much Ableton Live, where you can fire off clips from tracks on different vertical positions and have all that recorded into the arrangement view.

Ah, that’s what I call “scrubbing the timeline”. I guess you’d want to cue up the patterns, while I was talking about manual switching. But essentially, it’s the same idea.

It’s pretty cool e.g. with voices being carried over between patterns, or auto-seeked samples instantly catching up, etc.

Also, this is what makes Hitori Toris performances so mind-blowing to listen to. There’s just a lot of stuff happening!!

Btw: you can get the non-linear Ableton’sque workflow AND record the results using Duplex Grid Pie. It’s not perfect, works best with simple setups - but perhaps worth checking out?

Ah, that’s what I call “scrubbing the timeline”. I guess you’d want to cue up the patterns, while I was talking about manual switching. But essentially, it’s the same idea.

It’s pretty cool e.g. with voices being carried over between patterns, or auto-seeked samples instantly catching up, etc.

Also, this is what makes Hitori Toris performances so mind-blowing to listen to. There’s just a lot of stuff happening!!

Btw: you can get the non-linear Ableton’sque workflow AND record the results using Duplex Grid Pie. It’s not perfect, works best with simple setups - but perhaps worth checking out?

Yes I did mean playing patterns manually, but play the patterns in loop mode. That’d be cool if Renoise could record that AND make it editable afterwards.

A gigantic task, though.

Yeah you can play patterns in non-loop mode and play one-shot samples that go on for 1-2 minutes. :slight_smile:

Hitori Toris eh? I’ll have a listen.

LMAO totally MAD! Aphex Twin should see this!

LMAO totally MAD! Aphex Twin should see this!

Yep!!

I’ve met him, but forgot to ask if he records these performances when releasing tracks. There’s so much energy in those frantic edits.

Yep!!

I’ve met him, but forgot to ask if he records these performances when releasing tracks. There’s so much energy in those frantic edits.

I think live tweaking is the way to go with music production, it’s very hard to do this with a structured arrangement. Very. :slight_smile:

I’ve ordered my second Novation LaunchControl XL. 16 track-tweaking ftw! :yeah:

I think live tweaking is the way to go with music production, it’s very hard to do this with a structured arrangement. Very. :slight_smile:

Yeah this is something I struggle with a bit. Renoise is brilliant for doing structured arrangement – probably the best I’ve seen. It’s also brilliant for making crazy tweaks in an unstructured way. It’s getting the two to work together that I’ve really struggled with…

Yeah this is something I struggle with a bit. Renoise is brilliant for doing structured arrangement – probably the best I’ve seen. It’s also brilliant for making crazy tweaks in an unstructured way. It’s getting the two to work together that I’ve really struggled with…

What I sometimes do is create a beat section, let that loop + add some variation and on top of that do some live jamming on my pc keyboard. Works really well.

But I’m soon going to be using my midi controllers for live recording through an external program.

Anyone know of a Techno/Detroit producer called Christian Bloch?

I think he does all (or at least some of) his music using live mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s21x8UxJKrI