Photo

hardcore bug since high sierra: AU settings won't be remembered

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 realist

realist

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3093 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 21:39

Since High Sierra 10.13.2, AU settings (here ambience AU freeware), won't remember settings anymore. If you load a song, the plugin will always have the default settings. Strangely after reloading (and changing settings), it seems to be ok, again. Also loading of some plugins now introduces a looooong pause, where no hdd action or cpu action appear.

Could be related to Apple's "new" way of managing AUs? There seems to be again a new system service, responsible for validating AUs?

• Mr. Sensi likes this

#2 Mr. Sensi

Mr. Sensi

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 14:05

I had this same problem. I had to downgrade the OS just to deal with it.

#3 realist

realist

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • 3093 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 14:21

I would guess it would help, if Taktik would drop backwards compatibility to OSX 10.5. Instead compile against minimum 10.9 or similar. Lot of changes from 10.5->10.9, e.g. drop of carbon etc.

#4 m.arthur

m.arthur

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:EBM, IDM, industrial, radiophonic & beyond

Posted 04 January 2018 - 22:35

This is *precisely* why I wait soooo long before upgrade my OSX! Lame to hear of this issue, but can't say I'm all that surprised. Every new OSX release causes problems all over the place with music software :(

Many thanks for the heads up!

Edited by m.arthur, 04 January 2018 - 22:35.

music composition services: holloway.media

old-school industrial music:  dead when i found her

#5 realist

realist

• Normal Members
  • 3093 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 14:49

Hi Taktik,

I made a testcase xrns for you:

Attached File  testcase3.xrns   6.38KB   5 downloads

This song has a ambience AU on the "guitar" send track. It loads correctly in Renoise 3.1.1 under macos 10.12.6 (with all recent patches), but loads the default setting under macos 10.13.2:

macos 10.12.6:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-05 um 14.39.38.PNG

macos 10.13.2:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-05 um 14.40.14.PNG

Here is the used ambience au:

Attached File  Ambience.component.zip   281.33KB   5 downloads

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-05 um 14.46.37.PNG

Please let me know if I can help with testing e.g. under macos 10.13.2.

#6 realist

realist

• Normal Members
  • 3093 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 14:44

This was not meant as feature request, but as a bug report.

#7 realist

realist

• Normal Members
  • 3093 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 13:05

I now switched back to Sierra 10.12.6 + HFS again, and it is so much faster. The graphics performance of the recent nvidia web driver is about the same 10.12.6 vs 10.13.2 (final versions), but in Sierra, there are no weird slow downs and lags. Also HFS+ loads and writes many times faster than APFS on a SSD here. The difference is really impressive after you switch back again. I read that Apple has lot of problems since 10.13.0 with their nvidia models (unrelated to Renoise though, since Renoise lacks of a modern GUI base).

BTW. you can upgrade to High Sierra without converting to APFS (I would recommend that highly): After you downloaded the High Sierra.app from Appstore, you exit it. Then you start it from the command line, using the following switches:

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

Apple still has lot of work to do and let's hope they will manage to fix this (does not seem like this):

- nVidia mac users suffering from slowdowns over time, reported many times in mac forums

- AMD mac users suffering from slowdowns over time, reported in mac forums

- nVidia mac users suffering from lags and micro freezes, reported many times in mac forums

- Lot of slowdowns in common apps
- The performance loss caused by Spectre and Meltdown patches seem to be quite extreme, and more patches are following in 10.13.3. Let's hope apple will optimize a lot more.

Btw. Microsoft now uses other CPU instructions for CPU prediction, and this only works starting Sky Lake. That means the performance loss is more heavy already on Haswell (even it supports PCID).

Here is some interesting reading:

Checker tool for Windows:

Checker tool for Linux:

Full transparency @ Apple, as always. Mac users are too dumb for such a checker tool.

Edited by guest_ffx, 12 January 2018 - 16:56.

• danoise likes this