In previous years it's been discussed and determined any Novation controller's Speed Dial when AutoMap is enabled works allows anyone to scroll through notes or patterns in the pattern/sequence editor.
It seems it's not working as expected with the current version of Renoise. I experienced this previously on Renoise 3.1 with Windows 7 x64; didn't gave much thought about it. Jumping to Windows 10 with Renoise 3.1.1, it became apparent when I tried using my Novation controller (49 SL MKII). It has been noted by Novation the behavior of the speed dial is it is functions as a mouse scroll.
Steps to reproduce
- Have a Novation Controller with Speed Dial (in this case a 49 SL MKII)
- Enable AutoMap Server (V4.11)
- Open a web browser (or notepad with many lines in it requiring to scroll) and Renoise 3.1.1
- Select SL MKII as a MIDI Master Keyboard/MIDI Mapping device in the options section
- Open up a song or create a new song.
- Select either a track or pattern in the pattern/sequence editor.
- Try using the speed dial to see if it scrolls
- Click outside of Renoise and click in the web browser/notepad. Try using the speed dial now, it should scroll as expected.
- Now hover the mouse pointer on a pattern or track. Try using the speed dial now.
I should be able to scroll through a track's pattern or track's column when either are selected when directly using Renoise.
You can't click directly on Renoise at all to use speed dial. You have to select outside of Renoise's window and hover over either the pattern or sequence editor to scroll. See video for proof: