#1 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 13:50

For the sake of simplicity, say you had two Volca Beats units:

- Unit 1 is using 8 steps and playing at 120 BPM.
- Unit 2 is using 16 steps and playing at 60 BPM.

And say you wanted to sync them using the sync cable, what would happen?

A - Unit 1 and 2 would play at 120 BPM.
B - Unit 1 and 2 would keep their respective speeds but keep in sync by multiples of two.

In the example above, Unit 1 has double the step resolution of Unit 2 at the expense of half the amount of steps.
So what about if I were to set-up any two Volcas like that, would the sync work using the method shown above?

To do so I'm guessing the sync would need to be intelligent enough to drop in multiples of two so that it can keep sync at either the full 16, 8, 4, or 2 steps, but I've no way of testing before I buy.  So, anyone with two or more Volca units, it would be great if you'd test this for me and let me know :)

Edited by Renoised, 13 January 2018 - 13:52.

• El°HYM likes this

#2 El°HYM

El°HYM

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:I AM El°HYM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 18:33

Maybe they would start communicating with each other to solve the prob, like those facebook bots did.

All in a language none of us humans could understand.

http://www.telegraph...nvent-language/

Edited by El°HYM, 13 January 2018 - 18:33.

#3 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 20:43

I wouldn't know about that stuff, doesn't concern me in the least, I just ensure anything and everything 'Facebook' gets put on immediate block by every internet-connected device I own.
My private life is my business, not Zuckerbergs :lol:

• Neurogami and El°HYM like this

#4 CHoPS

CHoPS

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 21:00

What would happen is:

Option A, both units would sync tempo via master/slave.
Master controls tempo, but not number of steps or pattern position, which opens up lots of interesting tricks.

Also of note is that the Volca FM and Keys have a bpm divider function (1/2 and 1/4 speed) for achieveing divided tempo's at the expense of step resolution.

Or, one Volca could be programmed in 1/8th notes to divide tempo manually.

And then there's changing active/inactive steps between Volcas to enable polymeter and polyrhythm, but that's getting off subject :)

[Source: I own 6 Volca's and have tried your experiment]
  • Neurogami and El°HYM like this

#5 El°HYM

El°HYM

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:I AM El°HYM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 21:15

I wouldn't know about that stuff, doesn't concern me in the least, I just ensure anything and everything 'Facebook' gets put on immediate block by every internet-connected device I own.
My private life is my business, not Zuckerbergs :lol:

They are a Bit like Evil Corp. #agreed

Further than that me believes that both or at least one Machine would explode, while the other starts playing 90 BPM 3/4 Boom Bap Beatz.

This is just a Guess, off course :drummer:

#6 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 22:02

@CHoPS, Thanks very much for testing that for me, damn shame it turned out to be 'Option A' though.  I'll look into that 1/2 and 1/4 speed thing on the FM and Keys models, that sounds interesting.  I was originally going to go for the Beats and Keys so that I could sync them and play along with a rhythm using just the Volcas, basically something hands-on and 'knobby' to build ideas with, but then the Sample arrived and screwed-up my decision making for me!

What bugs me about the Volcas is that they're 16 steps, so that means I'd need to change memory banks more often that I would have liked, and that brings me to another question.  Say I had the FM or Keys connected to a MIDI keyboard and there was a looping sequence playing on it.  If I were to press a different key on my MIDI keyboard, will the sequence transpose?  If it can do that, or there was a hack for it, then I wouldn't need to worry about changing memory banks all the time in order to change the key of the sequence that's playing.

@El°HYM, Dude, I'm already of the opinion they are Evil Corp, and as the saying goes, time will prove this to those that are used by it :D

#7 CHoPS

CHoPS

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 20:19

What bugs me about the Volcas is that they're 16 steps, so that means I'd need to change memory banks more often that I would have liked, and that brings me to another question.  Say I had the FM or Keys connected to a MIDI keyboard and there was a looping sequence playing on it.  If I were to press a different key on my MIDI keyboard, will the sequence transpose?  If it can do that, or there was a hack for it, then I wouldn't need to worry about changing memory banks all the time in order to change the key of the sequence that's playing.

Sequencer does not transpose to incoming note data. Not aware of any hacks/workarounds without using external sequencing.

#8 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:05

Thanks for the heads-up, CHoPS, I thought as much and it's a shame, I think it would transform usage of those Volcas something like that!

#9 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:22

In the end I chose to go for a Volca Sample, first bit of music kit I've bought in years, but looks like fun and is ideal for a project I have planned anyway.

One of it's limitations (not being able to sample) is actually something that's grown on me.  It means I'll have to spend time gathering samples for the project before I even get a note down.  I expect to complete the project with the Volca Sample being the only sound generator in the rig, so having to prepare everything before-hand is making it easier to create a more harmonious mental picture of the samples I'll need to prepare, in order to work the project the way I want it.

Edited by Renoised, Yesterday, 18:24.

#10 random

random

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Babylon by Bass

Posted Yesterday, 21:19

Congratulation, looks like fun

For the Volca sample there is a great app

http://www.vividtracker.com/ unfortunately since the last update only for ios 8, need iphone 5 or iPad Air

Edited by random, Yesterday, 21:21.

#11 Renoised

Renoised

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:30

Now then, my pointy-eared friend, that does look very cool but as you say, it's iOS, no use to me.
Maybe he'll release for Android now that Oreo is out there as it's supposed to be good for audio.

Speaking of MIDI, here's something that must be pretty much a game-changer for a lot of people considering a Volca Sample, it certainly helped me make the decision to buy one.  It's a special MIDI cable that can be programmed to store specific MIDI configurations, so it can be used to let you play a Volca Sample chromatically and polyphonically.  You can even do keyswitching with it so you can play whatever sample you chose last, using keyswitching.  The icing on the cake is you can even have a rhythm running along side it all while you're doing it!

Really turns the Volca Sample into a very capable sample-based sound module for your MIDI keyboard or sequencer: