How to fade a phrase?

I have a short looping arpeggio in a phrase. The instrument is a VSTi. Now, I wanted to fade the volume of the phrase in an easy way, from any time i trigger the phrase in the main pattern data.

The nice solution for this would have been if there were block loops in phrases (similar to the protracker E6x effect) that could be used in conjunction with the usual fade-out effect. This isn’t available, so I decided to go for the simple keytracker -> lfo envelope -> gainer solution in the usual track device chain. It’s crude, but should work, I thought.

It turns out that the keytracker device is triggering on every individual phrase note. This design must surely be flawed? In my mind, pattern data should be separated from phrase data.

I can’t think of any way to fade a looping phrase, other than manually inserting LFO resets in the pattern editor, that controls a gainer fade. Is there a simpler solution? This is a bit basic, and shouldn’t require a crude and bothersome solution IMO.

The 0Oxx effect works for fading out volume on phrases triggered in the main pattern editor when the instrument is sample based.

Render plugin to sampled instrument.

For fading out the volume of a phrase which is triggering a VSTi meta - Instr automation could be used to fade the main volume of the synth by drawing the fade into an automation lane or by pattern command for the volume slider, creating the fade with selection - interpolate logarithmic.

If the phrase can be bounced to a sample and then replace the original phrase note data with a single note for triggering the sample it should work. However for VSTi related automation or if the sound changes inside plugin on each run as it may with large libraries or for realism, it might be a better option to sequence those variations individually and then build single note smaller trigger phrases. Fading them can be done with an LFO on the volume fader or via pattern FX prefixes.
Not sure if this solves the problem though.

The 0Oxx effect works for fading out volume on phrases triggered in the main pattern editor

Yep, works also when recording live. Just add these guys to the pattern beforehand, and everything you play will faaade…

Better still, add the Oxx command to a group track and it will affect all it’s nested tracks.

A shame this only works with sample-based instruments :frowning:

Better still, add the Oxx command to a group track and it will affect all it’s nested tracks.

A shame this only works with sample-based instruments :frowning:

Nope it works with VST instruments as well. Ixx Oxx and the volume column all pass velocity data to the VST.

Nope it works with VST instruments as well.

I challenge you to prove this B)

Plugins with polyphonic aftertouch are supported in Renoise, using regular volume commands.

But I believe Ixx and Oxx are not.