1 reply to this topic

#1 Renoised

Renoised

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 21:19

Was looking at the AKAI MPX16 with renewed interest today and was wondering if others here have one, I have a few questions about it.

First question is about using it as a sound module via MIDI.  I either read in a review or heard in a video that you can transpose a sample two octaves either way.  What I need to know is are they referring to some sort of pitch-shifting algorithm for that?  If so, is that the way chromatic playing is handled on this machine - only through pitch-shifting?  What I'm getting at here is I want to be able to select a sample and just play it chromatically across the entire keyboard without pitch-shifting algorithms being used.  In other words, I expect the sample to change pitch by playing faster or slower.

Can it do that, be used like that?

Second question is about JJOS, because despite the physical form of the MPX16 literally gagging for a 16-Step sequencer, it doesn't have a sequencer at all.  Does anyone into the AKAI stuff know if there's a JJOS planned for the MPX16?  I've looked online but can't find anything, but that doesn't mean one isn't planned, so thought I'd ask just in case.

Would love answers to those two, and also whether I should avoid one for any specific reason, would love to know about stuff like that as well.

Edited by Renoised, 27 January 2018 - 21:40.

#2 Renoised

Renoised

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 20:32

What a hopeless device, it has full-size MIDI DIN yet no way to play a sample chromatically across the entire keyboard.  It's 64-Voice polyphonic yet limited to firing-off just 16 different samples simultaneously, so you can't even map an entire keyboard with individual samples, either.  Not sure what happened at AKAI Professional, but I suspect the Professionals all resigned cause this garbage isn't being put out by the AKAI I knew from the 80s and 90s, I'd lay money on it.

Don't know how they dare put their name on something like that, it's like they have no shame, but oh well, at least I found out before wasting cash on one.