#26 random

random

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Babylon by Bass

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:35

for me, it makes a difference about rent entertainment such as spotify, games or software where i spend a lot of time to understand the program for implement my ideas.

i would like to decide for myself for upgrades, buy a new computer or use an old version for my old computer without internet connection
In particular, the invisible time, my "skills" are lost if the manufacturer no longer offers to rent his software or takes it from the cloud

yes the developer can do what he wants, it his work, but fortunately i do not have to go to any shit

Edited by random, 04 March 2018 - 01:51.

• Meef Chaloin and El°HYM like this

#27 gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2854 posts
  • Interests:slacking

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:17

Radium doen't look as FLAT as renoise .

Therefore I shall not summon it .

Nuff said 

• Sqeetz likes this

THERE IS NO RELIGION SUPERIOR TO THE TRUTH

THERE IS NO TRUTH SUPERIOR TO THE ONE I CHOOSE

C'EST MIEUX D'ETRE BELLE ET REBELLE

QUE MOCHE ET REMOCHE

RUBIO RABIA

#28 MattD

MattD

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 16:31

What does a visible waveform provide you?

What studio in the history of audio mixing has needed a visible waveform per-channel in order to perform great mix engineering? I'll tell you: none of them, of course. This has never been a part of mixing,

I believe it's common to work with multiple loops or outside material and edit, stretch, shift and groove extract. A visible waveform is useful for that workflow. Performers in a studio naturally don't need the same treatment that samples from disparate sources might need.

I've also seen visible waveforms be useful for workflows like fixing sibilants in a voice recording.

fuck rented software 

If you have this reaction he hasn't done a good job of marketing, but the dev writes "You choose the sum yourself. The small sum (€2,00 EUR) is perfectly fine for a subscription, but if you plan to unsubscribe immedately after downloading, please pay one of the larger amounts instead (at least €10,00 EUR)."

KernUo9.png

#29 radian

radian

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 17:38

Ugh, why don't the waveforms fade in from the centre instead of the left? 

It's interesting but some stuff like integrated pd doesn't exist on Windows. ...and using Jack on Windows? No thanks.

#30 dblue

dblue

Dodgy Geezer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5827 posts
  • Interests:Code. Music. Graphics.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:52

( mod edit: split the off-topic discussion to a new thread. cleaned up some stuff. please try to stick to the subject at hand, guys. thanks! )

#31 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:04

ONTopic:

Subscriptions are ways to take money from you. I have cancelled most of my subscriptions becos I have Kodi as well as loads of real world entertainment like world travelling, huge libraries, real women, sports, meetups, hangouts etc with actual people and not bits and bytes on the screen..

If Renoise was subscriptionware I would not have purchased it. License ware is better. Makes paying an incentive. The last thing I want is in the middle of a project or say the next morning, the software tells me that you need to pay to use and open your project..major shucks..I would rather work on an older version and be reminded that a newer version exists..if features I don't want don't matter, I don't need to buy.

Going with the flow is not a good thing especially in todays time...

Ever purchased a guitar on a subscription or a piano? lOL...The next morning I pick up my guitar and the string won't play and tell me 'you gotta pay'. Haha..

One thing is for sure, Renoise won't increase your musician ship no more than using Logic or Cubase will, it's just a writing board or a blank canvas, the painting or music comes from everything around it, not in it as an absolute. A good investment on a real instrument is lifelong..no subscription needed.

@dblue: Let's have some fun while it lasts...

Edited by encryptedmind, 06 March 2018 - 09:05.

encryptedmind
Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

marak.bandcamp.com

#32 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3481 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:42

I thought so, too. But now I understand that there are different kind of subscription models. As long as you are allowed to continue to use the software (just like here, or bitwig), I don't see a problem anymore. It also has some obvious advantages, e. G. Bitwig : you can pause your subscription, if it ran out. And then later again subscribe, when the feature arrives you wanted so much. I like that. It brings some stabilized income for the devs and flexibily for the user. Ok, that would be the case with a normal updates selling, too, but I think such kind of fair subscription brings motivation to the devs, which I will also benefit from.

The worst subscription model of course is Adobe. That only works for quasi monopolists.

Back to topic, radium maybe works fine on windows, but for Mac retina, it is not usable at all. So what's the point of a non working software.

Edited by ffx, 18 May 2018 - 10:16.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#33 tL One

tL One

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Nature & Space. MMA. K1/Pride. Heavyweight Boxing.
    Black History.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 16:35

The subscription fee is for the Updates. When you stop subscribing, you still OWN the software up to the last update. You are still able to use that particular software version forever, just can't get new updates anymore.

You basically can buy Radium for 2$. Subscribe for a month, download the latest version, unsubscribe.

Then this version is yours forever for 2$. Clear enough? 

Edited by tL One, 06 March 2018 - 16:38.

• Type-A likes this

#34 Skyscape

Skyscape

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 23:36

Yeah, I don't get people complaining about Radium's subscription model, it's pretty much the fairest one I've come across. You get to keep the software in whatever state it was in when you stop your subscription, and the sub is cheap. I really want to love Radium but can't seem to get into it. It's probably the kind of thing that's easier to pick up if you're not familiar with tracking and aren't set in your ways - the paradigm is just too different, feels alien and uncomfortable and there aren't quite enough customisation options for me to make it feel more like Renoise. I got a years subscription a few months ago, mainly because I wanted to support this kind of development, but I don't find myself dipping into it very often. It's certainly very interesting software though, and updated very frequently. 

• Meef Chaloin likes this

#35 lettuce

lettuce

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:50

Yo, I was going to say that last time I checked radium looked a bit buggy, having problems with jack and other things. It reminds me of another project called M4G tracker. Looked like it was going to be a simple but awesome FM synthesis tracker but in the end in was a coders project that was on the wrong platform and would take too much time and effort to complete. I'd say with one noteable exception ( sunvox - nightradio ) you need a larger team to write decent trackers. One guy is not usually enough. Probably a team of ten or more with investment is necessary. Then again, if you are an awesome programmer it is possible. Sunvox has proved to be awesome as fuck, there are other nice one man projects around the place as well...deflemask, that new FM composer, nanoloop etc..but they cant compete with renoise and sunvox.

Having said this, I would say good luck to the radium developer. I like the concept a lot but it just looks unfinished, buggy and rough around the edges last time I checked. He is one of the first to try and tackle the vertical waveforms and audiotracks in a tracker pattern editor problem though, so good luck to him. My main point is that building a tracker is not a menial task at all and will require a large team to get it finished in time.

Edited by lettuce, 20 March 2018 - 23:33.

#36 mystmyst

mystmyst

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Music,Computer Art, 3D Modeling, Guitar

Posted 30 April 2018 - 17:50

I'm a user of Renoise for several years .. Radium is a different beast. As a user of both I can say that despite the fact that in this stage of developing the  sampler is protogenic  compared to Renoise  music synthesis  on Radium is more straightforward .. For example in  step note editing and you can hear all previous tracks so its easier to make harmonies or any edits without the need playing of playing back the song and return again to step edit   The original trackers  philosophy was exactly what Radium has succeeded in it and its more natural tracker evolution  than  a DAW with tracker editing capabilities ... . 

Some of my songs  are Radium demo songs  and through them you can see how powerful this tracker is. 

Watch the following videos .. songs are made with Radium 

Here all instruments are made with only one sample..

Edited by mystmyst, 02 May 2018 - 20:10.

• random likes this

#37 Rian Diasporah

Rian Diasporah

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 16:20

Sent the developer an email stating I'm finally gonna dive in after subscribing to Radium for 4 months without using it. His response:

"Good luck with that"

Ouch.

Needless to say I never open it anymore..

Edited by Rian Diasporah, 16 May 2018 - 16:21.

(vV @ May 31 2007You probably mean, you are so happy you woke up after 15 years of tracker prosperity

#38 kjetil

kjetil

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:59

Sent the developer an email stating I'm finally gonna dive in after subscribing to Radium for 4 months without using it. His response:

"Good luck with that"

Ouch.

Needless to say I never open it anymore..

I visit this forum now and then. I feel that I need to reply to this one. First of all, that's not what I said, and secondly, what I wrote was not meant to be sarcastic or negative in any way.

riangmail.png

• danoise, Conner_Bw, random and 2 others like this

#39 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3481 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:15

Oh this is a good moment to clear up with my previous post. Radium now works on macos Retina btw.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#40 Jalex

Jalex

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:43

......but stupid jack audio.

#41 fladd

fladd

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 16:32

......but stupid jack audio.

Yeah, low latency audio with flexible routing between applications sucks :-)
  • Meef Chaloin likes this

#42 Jalex

Jalex

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 19:14

as an additional option is cool. but not as badly working necessarily

#43 lettuce

lettuce

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 20:59

... why don't the waveforms fade in from the centre instead of the left?

+1 for waveforms fading into the centre rather than towards the left of the track.

#44 fiasko

fiasko

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 23:19

Wow ! This is very interesting and impressive. Things thus far I really like about it:

zooming in and out of a pattern / there is no fixed pattern resolution,

ability to store and flip between mixer states,

compressor, eq, and bus sends built in every instrument and fx

Scheme front end that can be altered without compiling,

+ other typical benefits of midi sequencer.

Some drawbacks:

entering and editing notes is more fiddly compared to classical tracker, notes tend to overlap,.

the pattern editor kind of visually melts together, there's a  lot of going on and not enough of graphical separation between PR, note columns, tracks,

jack stealing audio output

I'm glad to see another tracker being developed :)

Edited by fiasko, 16 June 2018 - 04:00.

#45 Meef Chaloin

Meef Chaloin

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 23:41

What do you mean by jack stealing audio output?

#46 fiasko

fiasko

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:35

When I run jack, audio in other apps stops.

#47 Meef Chaloin

Meef Chaloin

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:55

Which OS are you on? In linux you can bridge everything to run through jack. I'm not sure how it works on Windows, I would expect there is a way but isn't that how ASIO works? Seems like it would be expected to happen.

#48 fiasko

fiasko

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 23:51

I'm on windblows and that's not suppose to happen.