Plugin windows disappear

Ive only been using Renoise for a few months so although I’m still learning I’m loving it.

A few days ago I got rid of some malware on my computer. Afterwards all of my plugins that weren’t stock with Renoise such as the Apple AU and Melda Productions VST had disappeared. I went through the preferences and got them them show back up. My issue now is that whenever I open the external windows for things such as the “Apple AuGraphicEq” the pop up window will pop up and disappear in less than a second. The plugins are still working and can be adjusted as long as you don’t open the pop up window.

How do I fix this? Thank you

Not a problem because of Renoise I assume…

Have you tried a reinstall of Renoise?

~~or maybe a problem with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages?

On which windows version you are?~~

Oh wait you’re on Macintosh… try a reinstall of Renoise.

I was using the 32 bit version and I just downloaded the 64bit and am using that instead. The problem is still occurring. Any other suggestions?

I was using the 32 bit version and I just downloaded the 64bit and am using that instead. The problem is still occurring. Any other suggestions?

Wow, has anyone been able to help you here?Regardless of the operating system, it seems a problem related to the correct installation of your VST plugins.I would try to uninstall all the related plugins, and reinstall them and register them correctly.Once done, run Renoise and reload the VST’s / VSTi’s.

On top of that, the 64-bit plugins will not work on your 32-bit Renoise copy… 32-bit or 64-bit plugins will work on your 64-bit Renoise copy.Maybe this is related?

64-bit plugins will not work on your 32-bit Renoise

When running on a 64-bit OS, Renoise 32-bit can still make use of 64-bit plugins thanks to our plugin bridge, which handles the communications in its own native 32-bit or 64-bit process depending on what is needed.

When running on a 32-bit OS, however, Renoise 32-bit is indeed limited to 32-bit plugins only, because it’s not possible for the 64-bit plugin bridge to run at all.

Also take into account that current version of Renoise does not care about recent AU interface changes/extensions (started with 10.12 I think), and also the macos changes since 10.9 (handling of deprecated carbon framework etc.). This can lead into empty graphical plugin GUIs, crashing plugins and reseted plugin parameters (AU, e.g. ambience AU).

The plugin bridge in Renoise is a huge performance hog here since 10.10, also opened guis can heavily slow down the Renoise GUI in the background. So I try to prevent to use bridged plugins at all.

Remember that 32bit won’t run at all anymore starting with upcoming 10.14. So if you can get recent updates of plugins or even 64bit versions of old plugins, it will be the best to install those updates to make the transition less painful.

Personally I find that 32bit Renoise always worked the best and also with the best performance. But 32 bit days seem to be over. I would bet that Microsoft will get rid of 32bit one day, too.

@DBlue,when I have commented on this appointment:

On top of that, the 64-bit plugins will not work on your 32-bit Renoise copy… 32-bit or 64-bit plugins will work on your 64-bit Renoise copy.Maybe this is related?

I was thinking that the 32-bit version of Renoise would be installed on a 32-bit operating system, and the 64-bit Renoise version would be installed on a 64-bit operating system. I have not used a version of the 32-bit operating system for a long time, because it uses more than 3GB of physical memory. Therefore, I do not remember that I have ever used a 32 bit Renoise version in a 64 bit operating system.

When running on a 64-bit OS, Renoise 32-bit can still make use of 64-bit plugins thanks to our plugin bridge, which handles the communications in its own native 32-bit or 64-bit process depending on what is needed.

Honestly, I had never thought about this scenario (Renoise 32 bit inside OS of 64 bit).I did not know it.In any case,something is wrong with the VSTs and Renoise, as ffx points out, and even using tool windows, the plugins are completely blocked, something that should not happen.A deep review would be great to improve Renoise.Renoise seems to work very well with instruments full of samples, but at the time of using plugins, Renoise loses a lot of charm, because of these problems. We are talking about powerful computers, where a simple plugin window is completely blocked, and this is not a problem of the plugins.I speak at all times in the Windows version. I do not know what happens with the rest of the operating systems…

Honestly, I had never thought about this scenario (Renoise 32 bit inside OS of 64 bit).

I run 32-bit Renoise on 64-bit Windows 10, and will probably continue to run 32-bit Renoise for as long as I’m able to :slight_smile:

Quite a lot of my favourite must-have VST plugins are old freebies from 10-15+ years ago, many of which were abandoned or forgotten about at some point, and a few of them sadly remain frozen in time due to tragic circumstances — R.I.P. Arguru.

I’m also not really working with huge projects that might require more than 3-4GB of RAM usage, whether using very large sample libraries, very long audio recordings, or anything else that could potentially exceed such RAM limits.

So for me sticking with the humble 32-bit build of Renoise simply makes the most sense. My favourite old plugins work natively in Renoise without any additional overheard from the 32/64-bit bridging, not to mention the other plugin devs I follow are still releasing 32-bit versions into the forseeable future…

64-bit is of course kick-ass, but the simple truth is that 32-bit isn’t going anywhere soon, so I’m quite comfortable at the moment.

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. Im still having the same issue. Ive tried messing with some of the plugin preferences in Renoise but nothing seems to fix it. I have both the 32 and 64 version installed and the problem happens on both. Whether its a Garageband AU plugin that came with the computer or an aftermarket one. The plugins work fine but whenever I open the external window by clicking “Ext. Editor” the box will flash open then disappear immediately.

Whenever I use the Apple: AU GraphicEQ, I can edit everything fine. For example, If I do a major cut at 50 Hz and a boost at 500Hz the popup window will show this. It just disappears in under a second.

So basically everything works fine. Its just the popup windows for external editing that wont stay open. Ive been able to work with it, but it just makes things more complicated with some plugins. Im going to try and re-download some of my aftermarket stuff and see if that helps but I’m not sure what to do with the Apple Plugins.

(Most of my plugins seem to be 64bit