mpc style track mute?

Hi all,

New to renoise… I’ve been through a myriad of docs but can’t seem to see if tracks can be muted similar to how an MPC works. My end goal is to midi map my akai mpk25 pads to the mute button in the mixer, and when I mute a track have it continue playing the last sample it triggered before going silent. I have currently have it mapped to to ‘off’ instead of mute i.e. The functionality I’m looking for is to have the last sample triggered continue playing until before the track is totally muted.

Is this possible in renoise? if not, this seems like a useful / easy feature request.

Thanks!

Functionally, that could be achieved by muting matrix slots in the upcoming pattern.

But no, there isn’t a built-in MIDI mapping for this thing.

Luckily, Renoise can be extended when it comes to MIDI mappings, I would be happy to roll one for you.

I guess it could work like this:

• Mute button is toggling - so pressing it multiple times would alternatively mute/unmute/mute/etc.

• The mute state is effectively determined by the last press - so pressing twice would do nothing

• The change is applied when the pattern reach the end - also when looping the pattern,

Thanks for the reply @danoise. I think we are almost on the same page with a few differences. For example, on an MPC if you have a track with an 808 bass sample set as a oneshot, (long decay for sustained bass notes,) if you ‘mute’ a track in the middle of a bassline melody, the last oneshot sample triggered will play until the sample end, but the rest of the pattern will be muted after that sample is triggered. If track is unmuted before the pattern ends, it would work similarly to how the current mute works, and play the next triggered sample.

so something like:

• Mute button is toggling- so pressing it multiple times would alternatively mute/unmute/mute/etc.
  • If mute button is toggled in the middle of sample playback, sample will continue playing, but future notes will not trigger until unmuted.
  • The change is applied when the last triggered sample reaches the end of its playback.

Functionally, that could be achieved by muting matrix slots in the upcoming pattern.

But no, there isn’t a built-in MIDI mapping for this thing.

Luckily, Renoise can be extended when it comes to MIDI mappings, I would be happy to roll one for you.

I guess it could work like this:

• Mute button is toggling - so pressing it multiple times would alternatively mute/unmute/mute/etc.

• The mute state is effectively determined by the last press - so pressing twice would do nothing

• The change is applied when the pattern reach the end - also when looping the pattern,

I’m not positive but I think that’s how the tracks work when the mute setting is OFF, right? I’m not at a computer to try it out… the thing is, I think Renoise sends a note OFF when you mute it, so the “play sample until the end” like MPC depends on how you’ve configured the note off for that sample - you can set it to one shot, or have an ADSR with long release.

Like I said I can’t test it right now but I think that’s how it can work…

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Preferences#Misc

Mute mode (left click):

• Off: (Soft Mute) Muting a track will act as a Note-Off event for any instruments playing in the track, so you may hear them carry on until finished. New notes and Effect Commands playing in the track will not be triggered while the Mute is active.
  • Mute: (Mixer Mute) Muting a track will immediately silence all audio. New notes and Effect Commands playing in the track will still be triggered while the Mute is active, so un-muting will instantly bring back all audio.

Yep, as Achenar explained there are two mute modes. And to complement that, we have the the matrix mutes.

What’s important to understand here is that the matrix mutes are more “part of the song/composition”, while the track/scope muting simply represent the state of the mixer.

I’m talking about something which would apply the mute actions with a delay - once the end of a pattern has been reached, by using the matrix mutes.

Not 100% sure if this is actually what you were looking for. Because, there are many ways to also control the sample playback behavior in the sampler itself (e.g. one-shot as pat points out).

But regardless, this is what I had imagined - explained a little differently than before, and hopefully more clearly

• The script is maintaining a set of matrix mutes,applied when reaching the end of a pattern

• Matrix mutes are always applied as an “Off” (soft mute), as explained by Achenar.

So with this script running, you’d still have the regular mutes too - which are applied instantly.

Combined with the various sample playback modes, there are a lot of options to play with.

I’ve tried both. When I first read this documentation it seemed like ‘off’ was exactly what I needed, however I noticed that even when using ‘off’ instead of ‘mute’, it still silences the sample before it finishes playing. I tried enabling ‘one-shot’ as well in addition to using the soft mute but i’m seeing the same behavior. Really perplexing because the soft mute seemed exactly like what I was going for. I’m on v3.1.1.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Preferences#Misc

Mute mode (left click):

• Off: _(Soft Mute)_Muting a track will act as aNote-Offevent for any instruments playing in the track, so you may hear them carry on until finished. New notes andEffect Commandsplaying in the track will not be triggered while the Mute is active.
  • Mute: _(Mixer Mute)_Muting a track will immediately silence all audio. New notes andEffect Commandsplaying in the track will still be triggered while the Mute is active, so un-muting will instantly bring back all audio

This sounds like it would have the desired result for sure and could be a great feature.

I’m talking about something which would apply the mute actions with a delay - once the end of a pattern has been reached, by using the matrix mutes.

Not 100% sure if this is actually what you were looking for. Because, there are many ways to also control the sample playback behavior in the sampler itself (e.g. one-shot as pat points out).

Update

Adding AHDSR to the instrument, I increased the Volume Release of the sample and its doing what I am trying to achieve using ‘off’ (soft-mute)

Just solved it by urself :yeah: Also u could try to increase the #sustain…have fun!

This sounds like it would have the desired result for sure and could be a great feature.

Update

Adding AHDSR to the instrument, I increased the Volume Release of the sample and its doing what I am trying to achieve.

I’ve tried both. When I first read this documentation it seemed like ‘off’ was exactly what I needed, however I noticed that even when using ‘off’ instead of ‘mute’, it still silences the sample before it finishes playing. I tried enabling ‘one-shot’ as well in addition to using the soft mute but i’m seeing the same behavior. Really perplexing because the soft mute seemed exactly like what I was going for. I’m on v3.1.1.

I would really like to see the MPC style ‘toggle on/off’ in addition to ‘one shot’ and ‘loop’ ( in sample properties ).

Press a pad once to play a loop continuously until the pad is pressed again.

This would be useful for live drumpad performance, especially when hitting two pads set to ‘toggle on/off’ at the same time, stopping the currently playing loop and starting the next one.

The MPC has a per-note (pad) toggle? That’s interesting.

But I guess it has nothing to do with mute then. Or do they somehow complement each other?

This is from “bluehaze” on mpc forums http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116268 :

You can either set the pad to trigger as one shot or toggle. I believe toggle is the setting you are looking for to loop like ableton. To set it up you go to program page. Press f2 KGmix highlight the note and press window button, and you will see play trigger usually set to note on, change to toggle and you are set. Hit do it, then press f6 zone page set the sample to loop and you are good to go. You won`t need to use the sequencer just hit the pads or keys to a midi controller to start the loop and hit the same pad again to toggle off. Great for live loopers just like all full samplers.

You can do solo track, trigger sequence and mute track as well.

I’m just saying the ‘toggle on/off’ would be a very useful feature for pad drummers.

Get a loop playing, drum over it with single hit oneshots then press two pads at once to stop one loop and start another