Returning to Original After Effect Commands

Hi all,

I’m relatively new to Renoise, and I’m totally inspired by the program’s creative potential. I haven’t had this much fun with music production in a long time…

One thing that’s troubling me though: how can I return to a sample’s original state after designating effect commands? For example, I’ve used a few Uxx commands to pitch up some snare rolls, but I haven’t figured out how to return the loop back to the original pitch (I haven’t sliced the loop, but I’m using Sxx commands). I had this same issue while using Rxy commands. The loop just goes silent after designating them; the loop doesn’t return to its original playback.

Is there a specific command to kill the temporary effect command to return a loop to its original state during playback?

Hope that made sense, and thanks for having a look!

Rei-inserting a note /trigger on a clean line

That seems to work, but the loop has a difficult time returning to it’s the original pitch/tempo when entering another note/trigger. Maybe using Sxx commands along with Uxx commands is the best approach. Is there a value that I can add at the end of a series to indicate a return to the original playback, or does it have to be another note?

For example, I’ve used a few Uxx commands to pitch up some snare rolls, but I haven’t figured out how to return the loop back to the original pitch

You could use an instant glide command to snap it back to the desired pitch.

You can use GF in the Vol/Pan columns, or GFF in the regular effect columns.

For example:

C-4 01 ....
--- .. .U04
--- .. .U04
--- .. .U04
--- .. .U04
C-4 01 .GFF

HOneslty I’ve never encountered this problem .

When I pitch a loop down , when inserting a new note ( loop trigger ) just be sure there aren’t anny aditional picth commands ( unlise you want to )

All commands on the global effects line affects whatever trigger that is on the same line .

Also when say you pitch down your loop with 7 seven semitones ( 10 = 1 semitne , 00 =repeat previous value )

0D10

0D00

0D00

0D00

0D00

0D00

0D00

Going back to original playback without inserting a new trigger , requires upscaling with the same amount ( 7 semitones )

so

0U00

0U00

0U00

0U00

0U00

0U00

0U00

Excellent - thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give them both a try this afternoon. That was my main concern: getting the loop back to the original playback as fast as possible. Both sound like excellent options. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes. Thanks!

The suggestions work for pitch, but you won’t end up at the exact same spot in the loop as if there were no pitch commands.

What i mean is, if you have a drum loop with the duration of 64 lines, if you pitch it down, let’s say 5 semitones, you can’t use the GFF to get it back to the original position, the duration becomes longer than 64 lines.

The easiest way to fix this is to use slices, just add a slice marker on the line where you want the loop to recover to its original position. In the sample editor you can choose to see the duration in lines, so if you want the loop to recover at line 48, then you simply add a slice marker at this position.

If the loop is exactly 64LPB, 128LPB, 256LPB and so on, you can also skip the slicing and just add the command sample offset command for the corresponding line, in the sample editor you can choose to change the rulers to Sxx positions to see which number to use.

The easiest way to fix this is to use slices

Correction: the easiest way is to use SliceMate. Then you don’t even need to leave the pattern editor badteethslayer.gif

I keep forgetting to use tools for some reason, i bet i could have saved some hours of my life using them a bit more often. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really great suggestions there, and excellent point on the duration of the loop when employing pitch commands. It just briefly crossed my mind, but I didn’t think to ask how that would affect the overall timing of the loop. Good stuff here… Looking forward much more music with Renoise. Thanks again!

You want to use the pitch slide up ( U ) command to slide the pitch of your breakbeat up temporarily then drop the pitch back down to the original pitch of the break, but once you use the U command your break is out of time.

This is because the U command does not pitchshift to raise the pitch, it speeds up the sample playback to change the pitch.