Slice Markers Vs. Sxx Commands

Hi all,

As previously mentioned, I’m fairly new to Renoise, and I was wondering what the advantages are of using slice markers over Sxx commands. As a beginner, I’ve preferred using Sxx commands; they feel intuitive and provide a quick means of experimentation. Is there way of effectively combining the techniques, or is it recommended that one be used over the other for specific applications? Sxx commands seem great for keeping the audio in a constant state of playback while experimenting with the playback positioning… truly inspiring stuff!

I’m just looking for more insight into why someone would use slices over Sxx commands. I’m sure there are many hidden (or not is hidden) advantages. Thanks for your time!

U could also trigger the Slices with the Sxx comand; just in case u havent already:http://www.renoise.com/blog/Slice%20Markers%20Explained

Hi all,

As previously mentioned, I’m fairly new to Renoise, and I was wondering what the advantages are of using slice markers over Sxx commands. As a beginner, I’ve preferred using Sxx commands; they feel intuitive and provide a quick means of experimentation. Is there way of effectively combining the techniques, or is it recommended that one be used over the other for specific applications? Sxx commands seem great for keeping the audio in a constant state of playback while experimenting with the playback positioning… truly inspiring stuff!

I’m just looking for more insight into why someone would use slices over Sxx commands. I’m sure there are many hidden (or not is hidden) advantages. Thanks for your time!

I find slices easier to play with. Slices map to notes; with slices in place I can easily try things out right in the sample editor, playing different notes from a keyboard. Don’t like the slice? Slide the markers around. More intuitive for me.

@Neurogami: yeah, good point. Especially when dealing with “off-grid” samples, or extended recordings the slice markers are useful.

U could also trigger the Slices with the Sxx comand;

Just want to add, that since it was published we also got phrases in the instrument.

And, phrases also can be controlled with Sxx.

So in terms of flexibility, Sxx is winning: it does sample offset, slice selection and phrase line offset.

But in terms of precision - and to some degree, the ability to change things later on - slice markers are the winner.

Great suggestions here - thanks for the thoughtful replies. I had missed the special instructions on using Sxx commands with slices. That was exactly what I needed. Thanks again, all!