2nd favourite DAW in Linux

Of course renoise is the best DAW under linux, but I wonder what you use beside of renoise. I made some tests with Ardour, but I don’t need its complexity and it confuses me. Qtraction seems to be a good alternative which is more simple but looks quite stable. Anyone using Reaper in linux? Via wine or the linux pre beta version?

Preface: I only use Linux. Windows has no existence in my life. I do audio, video, gaming & business - the lot with my preferred distribution, Ubuntu.

I’ve been exclusively using Renoise since 2013 and I’ve done 7 albums. My first two albums were instrumental only and the next five had all had vocals on every track.

I’ve also been using Harrison Mixbus since 2016 but only to do the mastering side of things and then only sometimes as I’ve been able to get the mix right within Renoise.

I was finding that vocals were a challenge particularly in terms of warping time and pitch without the two screwing each other up so I started exploring other options.

I gave Bitwig a go but it is not well suited to my workflow and as good as some of its features are, its still a bit lame in some other ways. Also, it’s starting to get beyond the money I wanted to spend.

In the right price range then I gave Reaper a go. I was running the native (experimental) Linux build. Though experimental, it was rock solid. But, the workflow (again) and the horrible user interface of Reaper was too much for me to handle.

I finally land on Tracktion Waveform 8 and then later upgraded to Waveform 9. It’s only 100 bucks but it does things that you’d expect from a $300-800 package such as Ableton or Bitwig, etc.

Now I have taken harbour in Waveform 9 and use Renoise via the Redux VST within Waveform.

As much as I love trackers and grew up with them. My workflow and productivity level has easily doubled. Vocals are a joy to with with. Waveform & Redux = nirvana.

Gav,

Sounds pretty good. As i’m still on Ubuntu 14.04 i’ll give Tracktion 6 a trial.

Sounds pretty good. As i’m still on Ubuntu 14.04 i’ll give Tracktion 6 a trial.

Ok but know that there is a huge difference in functionality between Trackion 6 and 9!!!

Hmmm, time to upgrade your OS? 10.04 is due at the end of this month and its LTS.

I´m using KXstudio which is still at 14.04. There´s an update planned for 2018, so i´m waiting for that. I think it might be good to start with Version 6 to get used to it and then to upgrade to 9.

There’s no support for LV2 plugins. How did you solve that? Are there any good alternatives?

Very nice! Just installed it and it even comes with reverb, delay, etc. LV2 plugins work within Carla Patchbay. Timestretching is cool and it even comes with a sampler!! It’s different to ardour, qtractor, etc. but I like it already. Thanks for that tip. I think it’s quite good to do experimental music.

Very nice! Just installed it and it even comes with reverb, delay, etc. LV2 plugins work within Carla Patchbay. Timestretching is cool and it even comes with a sampler!! It’s different to ardour, qtractor, etc. but I like it already. Thanks for that tip. I think it’s quite good to do experimental music.

Ah you added more since I saw your message about the lack of LV2.

I might be strange but but I don’t use many plugins. I work mainly with samples of instruments instead. Like you say though, via Carla they (and Windows plugins) are a cinch.

The Multi-Sampler they introduced with Waveform 9 is mindblowing. Like Renoise, you can keymap samples into zones or specific keys but with the Multi-Sampler you can key and zone and overlay depending on note velocity. This blew my mind!

Time Stretching out of the box is awesome. Easy to use. Sanely represented graphically.

It’s got a lot going for it!

T6 is free but I do highly suggest you try the W9 demo.

I’ll check it out as soon I have a new system installed :smiley:

Ah you added more since I saw your message about the lack of LV2.

I might be strange but but I don’t use many plugins. I work mainly with samples of instruments instead. Like you say though, via Carla they (and Windows plugins) are a cinch.

The Multi-Sampler they introduced with Waveform 9 is mindblowing. Like Renoise, you can keymap samples into zones or specific keys but with the Multi-Sampler you can key and zone and overlay depending on note velocity. This blew my mind!

Time Stretching out of the box is awesome. Easy to use. Sanely represented graphically.

It’s got a lot going for it!

T6 is free but I do highly suggest you try the W9 demo.

Been using reaper native since mid 2017, it works so well… I’m also using linvst for winvst bridging, this is also excellent and the developer is very active with it.

Anything in particular you wanted to know about reaper on linux? I’d love to share with you my experience so far.

Cheers

mainly use renoise backed up with ardour and audacity for some things.

tried bitwig, didn’t like it and also now it’s subscription so…

used reaper on windows and will try the native linux version when it’s further in beta, hate wine.

just trialling waveform 9, and it seems pretty cool so far.

used reaper on windows and will try the native linux version when it’s further in beta, hate wine.

Though Reaper wasn’t my thing, I gotta say that the Linux port although beta/alpha is rock solid. You could start using it now.

Waveform 9, just amazing. I felt the same way as you about Bitwig.

I’m not dissing Renoise. It will always be my first love and it lives on for me in the form of Redux.

Harrison Mixbus v4 (not 32c), but only for not electronic music.

I tried bitwig a little but lack of lv2/ladspa etc plugins (i didnt knew about carla atm) made me run away from it.

I watched that video and it looks so / too easy to “install” it:

Can you hint me to an explanation how to do an installation? I don’t want to read all > 54 pages on the reaper forum. I used it ~12 years ago but I didn’t get into it… never used a DAW before though …

Been using reaper native since mid 2017, it works so well… I’m also using linvst for winvst bridging, this is also excellent and the developer is very active with it.

Anything in particular you wanted to know about reaper on linux? I’d love to share with you my experience so far.

Cheers

Ok, I played a bit more with Tracktion 6. Got some crashes today and a strange behavior sometimes. When doing drums what’s the most straightforward way to go? I want several samples and I want to control EQ, etc. for each of the samples. I used the SamplerRack but it seems a bit buggy and to be honest it looks ugly as hell.

Though Reaper wasn’t my thing, I gotta say that the Linux port although beta/alpha is rock solid. You could start using it now.

Waveform 9, just amazing. I felt the same way as you about Bitwig.

I’m not dissing Renoise. It will always be my first love and it lives on for me in the form of Redux.

I watched that video and it looks so / too easy to “install” it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LOOHzXkNrM

Can you hint me to an explanation how to do an installation? I don’t want to read all > 54 pages on the reaper forum. I used it ~12 years ago but I didn’t get into it… never used a DAW before though …

Ok, I played a bit more with Tracktion 6. Got some crashes today and a strange behavior sometimes. When doing drums what’s the most straightforward way to go? I want several samples and I want to control EQ, etc. for each of the samples. I used the SamplerRack but it seems a bit buggy and to be honest it looks ugly as hell.

Here:

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux

The first entry in the wiki tells you where to download it (the developer does not want people to link directly to the site).

You can download the tar.xz, extract and run from wherever you put its contents, as a ‘portable’ installation. ‘reaper5’ is the executable file.

I cant talk about Tracktion 6 since I’m on Waveform 9 - which is three major versions ahead and I have no crashes or strange behaviour. I do know that since then they have cleaned up the interface by a substantial amount.

I can only suggest you download the trial of Waveform 9 and see if you experience the same issues…

Cheers,

Gav

Thanks ok. Here it’s written that 16.04 is needed for Waveform 9.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=488681

I continue testing T6…

I cant talk about Tracktion 6 since I’m on Waveform 9 - which is three major versions ahead and I have no crashes or strange behaviour. I do know that since then they have cleaned up the interface by a substantial amount.

I can only suggest you download the trial of Waveform 9 and see if you experience the same issues…

Cheers,

Gav

I installed Tracktion 7 … looks much better. I still had a Code for Tracktion 4 which came with a Mackie Volume Knob. It worked still for T7. How cool is that?

It’s crashing quite often here… It hangs or the menues doesn 't stay open, etc… Not possible to work with … It seems to be super mighty and I like the clean look… But for me at the moment there are too many options.

Cheers

Still convinced or did you find any drawbacks?