Cakewalk by BandLab is free now

I’m not sure how come I’ve been kicked out from the Renoise alpha testers, but I’m quite sure Cakewalk has been bought by BandLab which made it free.

Go get it if need one.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

P.S. I hope somebody will remember my suggestion to make older Renoise version free. But never the less. Have fun!

P.S. I hope somebody will remember my suggestion to make older Renoise version free. But never the less. Have fun!

You have to understand the economics of, “free.”

Bandlab purchased the brand and ip from a company that is in dire straights. Cakewalk was likely acquired via Bandlab assuming certain debt of Gibson brands. It is unlikely that Gibson received any actual cash from the deal, and likely the debt assumed was pennies on the dollar; allowing both Gibson and Creditors to write or charge off losses and than claim deductions next year.

Bandlab charging for Cakewalk would be, “highway robbery.” As it happens, I imagine that there will be a store function in short order - something like, “in app purchasing,” or some other type of SAS connected to the use of Cakewalk like online hosting of files or whatever they come up with.

Also the Cakewalk brand - a classic American Audio Brand, as added tons of Value to Bandlab.

So, “free,” is a relative term. Nothing is, “free.” Just, “no cost,” at the current moment.

(This thread is kind of “Off Topic,” and not really, “Renoise General Discussion,” imho)

You have to understand the economics of, “free.”

I suggest you to do not consider me or somebody else as a fool.

So, “free,” is a relative term. Nothing is, “free.” Just, “no cost,” at the current moment.

You’re right. I’ve started the topic not for free. Every extra reply gonna cost you additional reputation which you might not have.

(This thread is kind of “Off Topic,” and not really, “Renoise General Discussion,” imho)

I consider you’re smarter than me and you’re free to protect this sacred place from people like me. I’ve been around for more than 15 years and it’s sad to see you didn’t ban me yet. Nothing is free… I should remember that…

I wanted to try it out, but this “Bandlab assistant” software is going nowhere.

Wonder if it’s just me having a problem here?

PS: @Zed what’s the story? - PM me if needed

Installed it under Win10 without any problems.

Also noticed that 1) bandlab put itself in auto-start and pops up notifications that make no sense, 2) cakewalk doesn’t support 4k.

Strongly considering uninstalling.

Installed it, tried it, meh…