Shortcut to Copy/Paste FX Column (Vol/Pan/Del)?

Hello,

I’m converting my old tunes to Renoise 3 and I’m having lots of work doing it note by note…

Since the FX now require that Vol column be written, I need to just add 80 to every single note, which in few songs is a hell…

To have an idea of what I want, is about the old 07 FX… for exemple:

C-4 02 -- 07F0
    02 -- 07F0
       -- 07F0
    02 -- 07F0

It’s automatically converted to:

C-4 02 -- -0F0
    02 -- -0F0
       -- -0F0
    02 -- -0F0

But with just that the sound simply fadeout after the first note, seams the only way I found to remake this kind of FX is adding the max volume to each note, which in fact should already happen, since the default it’s 80 if you didn’t write anything right? So here what I need:

C-4 02 80 -0F0
    02 80 -0F0
       -- -0F0
    02 80 -0F0

To copy/paste the FX column it’s just mark and copy/paste that block, no problems, but we can’t simply mark the VOL column to do that, and simply copy/paste comes with the notes together, but is not what I want.

Is there any shortcut to copy/paste the VOL column? or even let us mark just the column? or mark VOL column together with the FX, but not the notes?

Thank you!

Hi hajas!

Yes! Imagine mentally that there is only the volume column, and the rest does not exist.I admit that, at first, it can be a bit confusing…

Steps for select only the a block of volume_column:

1. ALT + Left click of mouse above the volume column, in the first line to select. The selectionmust mark only the line in the volume column (two characters). ALT is always for the first mark.
  2. SHIFT + Left click of mouse above the volume column, in the last line to select. The selectionmust mark only all the lines in the volume column (two characters).

You can play from top to bottom and vice versa, but always with the same order of steps, first ALT and then SHIFT.

Steps for select all the volumen_column:

1. Left double click of mouse in the last line of volume column.The cursor will travel here.
  2. ALT + A.It will select the entire column (or rather, everything on top of this column).

or

1. Left double click of mouse in the first line of volume column.The cursor will travel here.
  2. ALT + Z.It will select the entire column (or rather, everything on bottom of this column).

In the first step you can select the line you want to avoid the selection what is below or above respectively.

Steps to select the note_column and the FX columns (the visible intermediate columns will also be selected,hide them if necessary):

1. ALT + Left click of mouse above the volume column, in the first line to select. The selectionmust mark only the line in the volume column (two characters). ALT is always for the first mark.
  2. SHIFT + Left click of mouse above the FX column, in the last line to select.

Try playing with ALT and SHIFT to understand how Renoise works with the mouse for the selection. This will allow you to make somewhat convoluted selections between different columns.

I must say that there must be tools that greatly speed up these specific tasks (change the volume value of all the notes simultaneously, even of the whole pattern, or just one column …). I built myself a tool that allows these things.

Regards!

1 Like

By the way, to put the maximum value in the volume column, you can type 80 (hexadecimal value, 80 comes after 7F: …7D, 7E, 7F, 80), or leave the value empty. Empty will take the maximum value.If all the notes have 80 in the volume column, better leave them empty.

C-4 02 -- -0F0
02 -- -0F0
-- -0F0
02 -- -0F0

Eh, refresh my mind here - what was the “7F” command standing for? F0 isn’t a recognized command.

But in any case, yep - the granular selections (mostly, ALT-selections) are a lifesaver.

Also, the Flexible mark is very handy (e.g. the ALT+Z and ALT+A variations for sub-columns)

And finally, don’t forget “Begin/End Selection”, which also support sub-columns now.

These enhancements are explained in the release notes for Renoise 3.1:

https://www.renoise.com/products/renoise/release-notes/310

(scroll down to the final part)

Another handy thing to have around would be the “PatternEditor Find and Replace” tool:

https://www.renoise.com/tools/patterneditor-find-and-replace

Thank you very much Raul! Will try as soon I get back to studio! Cheers! :smiley:

Hi hajas!

Yes! Imagine mentally that there is only the volume column, and the rest does not exist.I admit that, at first, it can be a bit confusing…

Steps for select only the a block of volume_column:

2. SHIFT + Left click of mouse above the volume column, in the last line to select. The selectionmust mark only all the lines in the volume column (two characters).

You can play from top to bottom and vice versa, but always with the same order of steps, first ALT and then SHIFT.

Steps for select all the volumen_column:

1. Left double click of mouse in the last line of volume column.The cursor will travel here.
  2. ALT + A.It will select the entire column (or rather, everything on top of this column).

or

1. Left double click of mouse in the first line of volume column.The cursor will travel here.
  2. ALT + Z.It will select the entire column (or rather, everything on bottom of this column).

In the first step you can select the line you want to avoid the selection what is below or above respectively.

Steps to select the note_column and the FX columns (the visible intermediate columns will also be selected,hide them if necessary):

2. SHIFT + Left click of mouse above the FX column, in the last line to select.

Try playing with ALT and SHIFT to understand how Renoise works with the mouse for the selection. This will allow you to make somewhat convoluted selections between different columns.

I must say that there must be tools that greatly speed up these specific tasks (change the volume value of all the notes simultaneously, even of the whole pattern, or just one column …). I built myself a tool that allows these things.

Regards!

By the way, to put the maximum value in the volume column, you can type 80 (hexadecimal value, 80 comes after 7F: …7D, 7E, 7F, 80), or leave the value empty. Empty will take the maximum value.If all the notes have 80 in the volume column, better leave them empty.

That’s the problem, if empty the command simply doesn’t work… :\

Eh, refresh my mind here - what was the “7F” command standing for? F0 isn’t a recognized command.

But in any case, yep - the granular selections (mostly, ALT-selections) are a lifesaver.

Also, the Flexible mark is very handy (e.g. the ALT+Z and ALT+A variations for sub-columns)

And finally, don’t forget “Begin/End Selection”, which also support sub-columns now.

These enhancements are explained in the release notes for Renoise 3.1:

https://www.renoise.com/products/renoise/release-notes/310

(scroll down to the final part)

Another handy thing to have around would be the “PatternEditor Find and Replace” tool:

https://www.renoise.com/tools/patterneditor-find-and-replace

It’s the “Volume Slide Down”, I will check the find and replace tool, seams amazing! :smiley:

thank you!

What are you converting from? I was thinking if it was a module that can’t be imported in Renoise, maybe you could use https://openmpt.org/openmpt-1-26-08-00-released to convert it to a mod?

C-4 02 -- -0F0

(…)
“Volume Slide Down”

Yep… It’s the Volume Fade O ut command.

So that’s a letter “O” in the command, not a zero “0”.

It can be tricky to see sometimes, depending on which font you use.

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.