"Insert Track From Template" / "Insert Group From Template

Hi, this might have been suggested before, but I couldn’t find anything right away through searching, so here it goes:

I would absolutely love an option which would let me do this:

• Right-click a track > Save Track as template (I dunno… to a *.xrntt-file or something)
    • All track settings would then be saved, including: track color, track name, col-settings (vol,pan,del,fx + number of cols), pre+post mixer fader values + DSP chain of course
  • Right-click a track > Save Group as template (I dunno… to a *.xrngt-file or something)
    • All group settings + subgroups & tracks settings would then be saved, including: …everything (as above), but in this case a complete group.

And then…

• Right-click a track > Insert Track from template > Before / After
  • Right-click a track > Insert Group from template > Before / After

Scenario:
As I use more and more hardware in the studio, controlled via Renoise, my Song Template is now growing into a scary monster (around 100+ tracks), since I need more and more complex MIDI-groups with lots of midi-CC devices and shit. But i would really prefer to have a much slimmer Song Template, so that instead - IF i decide to use let’s say my Korg ER-1 in a project, I can load this group with it’s 2 sub groups and 10 subtracks, instead of manually re-creating the whole setup each time. Now, having everything in the Song Template just in caaaaase I’m going to use it, is a very bloated situation.

Would something like this be possible/realistic for a native feature, or must/could a tool perhaps help with this?

I have a few saved DSP chains that are in fact just a bunch of hydras with ready-to-use MIDI mappings.

Because (perhaps unbeknownst to many), those mappings are saved along with the DSP chain.

It’s not a full blown track template as you describe it, but goes some of the way. And a tool could “easily” augment this, to add the additional functionality.

Hi Denim

I modified the idea a bit, and would call it:

• Export track properties.

• Export group properties.

• Import track properties.

• Import group properties.

I know this is possible to add it natively, and it would not be complicated at all (except the sons of the group).It is also possible to create a tool that does exactly that. The tool could have several banks to store different configurations. The only thing that would lose the data if it desisntala the tool. For that you could save the preferences.xml file of the tool, or create “something” to easily save it from the tool in a specific folder. This is where the difficulty is (with the api available I think it is not possible to save an xml.).

Exporting or saving all the properties of a track in a table is simple. Then it would be easy to access the data through another “import” button. Saving the properties of a group, with all the tracks and groups of daughters, would be much more complicated. In this case, it would be better to use a song template. But of course, you could not implore a group to your project at any given time.

I would prefer that this matter be native. But if there is no hurry and it is very requested, I am committed to creating the tool myself. I find it very interesting.

Anyway, something similar is a tool that inserts you types of tracks and groups. Maybe you like this approach more. Of course it is easier to build it.

Look at this topic:https://forum.renoise.com/t/development-of-vpdpro-orchestral-some-demostrations/48552

By the way, I do not know what style of music you compose. But if I had a concrete list of names for electronic music instruments, well thought out, I could create a tool similar to VPDpro. Orchestral

I have a few saved DSP chains that are in fact just a bunch of hydras with MIDI mappings.

Because (perhaps unbeknownst to many), those mappings are saved along with the DSP chain.

It’s not a full blown track template as you describe it, but goes some of the way. And a tool could “easily” augment this, to add the additional functionality.

You could save all the properties of a track in a table, inside an fixed xml file (preferences.xml).

But, is there any way to save xml files with custom names, through the API, that you can then load into the tool again?

I wonder how you would keep all the properties of the children tracks and children groups within the parent group.

By the way, saving the DSP chains in a tool would also be somewhat complicated. There can be hundreds of parameters.DSP chains should be stored separately, which is already possible.And at least, the properties of the track could be saved through the tool.

I have a few saved DSP chains that are in fact just a bunch of hydras with ready-to-use MIDI mappings.

Yup, this is the way i’ve been doing too the last years. As you say, it goes some of the way! It’s just a bit time consuming when re-creating big groups of tracks and sub groups. Lots of clickety-click :badteeth:

Hi Denim

I modified the idea a bit, and would call it:

• Export track properties.

• Export group properties.

• Import track properties.

• Import group properties.

I know this is possible to add it natively, and it would not be complicated at all (except the sons of the group).It is also possible to create a tool that does exactly that. The tool could have several banks to store different configurations. The only thing that would lose the data if it desisntala the tool. For that you could save the preferences.xml file of the tool, or create “something” to easily save it from the tool in a specific folder. This is where the difficulty is (with the api available I think it is not possible to save an xml.).

Exporting or saving all the properties of a track in a table is simple. Then it would be easy to access the data through another “import” button. Saving the properties of a group, with all the tracks and groups of daughters, would be much more complicated. In this case, it would be better to use a song template. But of course, you could not implore a group to your project at any given time.

I would prefer that this matter be native. But if there is no hurry and it is very requested, I am committed to creating the tool myself. I find it very interesting.

Anyway, something similar is a tool that inserts you types of tracks and groups. Maybe you like this approach more. Of course it is easier to build it.

Look at this topic:https://forum.renoise.com/t/development-of-vpdpro-orchestral-some-demostrations/48552

By the way, I do not know what style of music you compose. But if I had a concrete list of names for electronic music instruments, well thought out, I could create a tool similar to VPDpro. Orchestral

Hey Raul! Some good input here, I don’t mind the modifications, seems logical.

And wow - what you did with the VPDpro thing is quite impressive! Although a great type of tool, this is not something I would want for my own workflow I think, I really just want quicker recreation of tracks and groups within the “normal” track view and with the save/load possibility. And agree with you that this probably should be a native thing. Especially with the “trackers are faster” mentality in mind :stuck_out_tongue: