Certain vst's are making renoise crash

I’m kinda disappointed I wanted to use renoise more frequently than I do FL, but that ain’t the case now. I’m using a 64bit windows 10 system btw, and it doesn’t matter if I use the 32bit or 64bit version of renoise 3.1.1 the projects still won’t open or just crash renoise immediately if I attempt to open them. Apparently renoise doesn’t like certain vst’s even if I’m using ONE vst, it still ends up in the file not being able to open again (of course I’m still able to access the midi no problem when I disable vst’s). I’m not very vst heavy, but I’m kinda confused as to why it’s even crashing in the first place. When I use renoise It’s the only program up and running aside from a few regular windows background operations, so I’m stumped.

Can you name one of these VSTs? I’ve been using Renoise 3.1.1 on multiple Win 10 systems with no VST problems. As, I suspect, have many others.

My suspicion is that this may be something with a particular VST, or something with your system (e.g. video driver, audio driver, sound card, etc.) But if there’s a VST I can try to see if it causes a crash for me that might be informative.

Can you name one of these VSTs? I’ve been using Renoise 3.1.1 on multiple Win 10 systems with no VST problems. As, I suspect, have many others.

My suspicion is that this may be something with a particular VST, or something with your system (e.g. video driver, audio driver, sound card, etc.) But if there’s a VST I can try to see if it causes a crash for me that might be informative.

The BPB Cassette 606-909 (606 pretty much makes it crash immediately for me), Nuclear, Dsk sf2 and sometimes tb_peach but rarely. Some other vst’s (like 4 others) just have moments where renoise gives me an error, but I just restart and it’s all good, so I can manage with that.

Windows 10 is Satan. I am using Windows 10 and believe me… Windows 10 is truly Satan. It is EVIL and psycho. and gives me more problems than a 57 chevy

keystroke ctrl ,

or edit window/preferences – run all plugins in sandboxes, do not rescan your windows on startup

8040 pluginsandboxes.png

Windows 10 is Satan. I am using Windows 10 and believe me… Windows 10 is truly Satan. It is EVIL and psycho. and gives me more problems than a 57 chevy

keystroke ctrl ,

or edit window/preferences – run all plugins in sandboxes, do not rescan your windows on startup

attachicon.gifpluginsandboxes.png

WOW ok this legit fixed my problem, and I can open my project again! Guess I need to learn renoise a bit more now. Thank you so much for the help dude!

I’m glad you got it working.

FWIW, tho, you still might want to see if there’s something else going on with your system (particularly if you have further issues).

I tested two of those VST (cassette drums and DSK 2F2) and they work fine. And I have “scan for plugins at start up” turned on. I don’t need to run plugins in a sandbox. And Win 10 has been rock-solid for me (big improvement over previous Windows) on multiple machines (X1 Yoga Thinkpad; home-built gaming box; Surface Pro 4).

Eye been telling this 4 Yearz now:

keystroke ctrl ,

attachicon.gifpluginsandboxes.png

Win 10 has been rock-solid for me

Same situation for me running Windows 10 (Home) on two different MSI laptops.

My newer laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed and is kept fully up to date.

The older laptop originally came with Windows 8 pre-installed, then I later took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10, and is also kept up to date.

No major issues with either system, whether I’m using the on-board Realtek audio, or a really outdated external USB audio interface (American Audio Genie Pro) which is discontinued by now and doesn’t even have any drivers for Windows 10 — I actually had to use some ancient XP/Vista crap, haha.

I’m also happily using a bunch of ancient VST plugins that date back to the early 2000s in some cases, almost all of them 32-bit only and never designed with Windows 7/8/10 in mind, etc.

One thing’s for sure: There are a lot of rather dodgy SynthEdit plugins lurking out there which suffer from a variety of different bugs.

Some plugins have been updated/patched after the SynthEdit dev released some fixes, while others have pretty much gone untouched for years and still have issues.

Most (if not all?) of the DSK plugins are SynthEdit, and I believe all of the Tweakbench plugs are also SynthEdit, so it wouldn’t surprise me if those are behaving badly.

Sandboxing will prevent some problems and minor instabilities from happening, but you definitely should not rely on this as a real solution.

Better to isolate each plugin one by one and figure out which ones are the real culprits, then see if any fixes/updates are available, or simply decide if it’s time to retire some of them.

For SynthEdit plugins that you can’t live without (really?), make sure the VST folder is not a child of the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders.

( Some try to write stuff to their own folder, but will fail as they won’t have permission to do so in there. )

make sure the VST folder is not a child of the Program Files

Yeah, I would recommend completely avoiding the “Program Files” folder for any VST plugins — it simply isn’t worth the hassle.

Some older plugin installers can be a pain in the arse, but thankfully most recent ones do allow you to set the destination for standalone, 32-bit, and 64-bit versions of the software.

Here’s how I’ve been organising my plugins for many years now…

• C:\VST\
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\SomePlugin\
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\SomePlugin\32bit\AwesomePlugin.dll
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\SomePlugin\64bit\AwesomePlugin.dll
    My Renoise preferences point to that one single "C:\VST" folder… Done!

I ensure that the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are kept in separate folders, but that their DLL name remains identical, so that I can freely switch bit versions and Renoise has no problem using either one.

Actually there still are some useful SynthEdit Plugs; me mostly just use the older 2.7 or 2.8 Versions for these special Guests, who seem to handle them a bit better.

Another anecdotal data point: All my VSTs are under c:\users\james\VST

Interesting if this really makes a difference for stability.

Here’s how I’ve been organising my plugins for many years now…

• C:\VST\
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\SomePlugin\
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\SomePlugin\32bit\AwesomePlugin.dll
  • C:\VST\SomeManufacturer\SomePlugin\64bit\AwesomePlugin.dll

I’m not this smart!!! LOL.

I have my vst’s in program files. I feel like moving everything around would create huge headaches. If I wanted to reorganize things could I just cute and past.

anyways, that is why I turned off, “rescan on startup!” lol

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.