Reality Adlib Tracker!!!!!

Pure classic FM with hotkey POWER!!!

http://www.3eality.com/productions/reality-adlib-tracker

Looks like it also has a phrases equivalent (“Riffs”).
Nice.

How does this tracker work with drums … the fact that it has a built in fm synth makes it the a great choice Detroit Style Techno, but can I add my drum samples and glitch out certain parts of the song?

Nope! Its just synth maschine! But you can doit your library with category

BUT!!! Chek out!!

How does this tracker work with drums … the fact that it has a built in fm synth makes it the a great choice Detroit Style Techno, but can I add my drum samples and glitch out certain parts of the song?

Try Deflemask, the Megadrive’s (Genesis in USA) soundchip is also an FM synth with samples.

what hardware is needed for this ??

Realising that there were quite a few people out there still using it, we thought it about time we released a new version - 23 years later!

Awesome.

what hardware is needed for this ??

No adlib card if you mean that :slight_smile:

From the docs:

Us being a demo-group player code is, of course, included, and what's more
includes an accurate emulation of the OPL3 chip for those of you that no longer
have an OPL3-based soundcard in your PC. And those of you on Macs that
never got to experience the joys of Adlib music, well, we now have a Mac version
of RAD too!

Those kinds of old school trackers such as adlib tracker II and reality adlib tracker, although awesome and great, do not have true BPM, so be aware that you will not be able to sample patterns from them into renoise before you spend a lot of time doing something creative with them.

Just mac/pc

I want the font Reality tracker uses in Renoise.

Those kinds of old school trackers such as adlib tracker II and reality adlib tracker, although awesome and great, do not have true BPM, so be aware that you will not be able to sample patterns from them into renoise before you spend a lot of time doing something creative with them.

Reality Adlib Tracker does support setting the BPM as of V2. As usual it’s done through hot-keys. Shift-F9 decreases the BPM value and shift-F10 increases it. The default is 125 BPM (50 Hz), but RAD can go as low as 46 BPM and as high as 300 BPM in whole number increments.

Those old tracker programs have a ‘speed’ value based on frame rate or something. When they say ‘BPM’ it is not actual BPM but just ‘almost BPM’.

It can be quite annoying when you have been thinknig its real BPM and sample out only to find that it is not.

50Hz is not exactly 125 BPM.

If you are lucky, the reality adlib tracker ‘speed’ may be based on frame rate of 60Hz, then you can get accurate 120BPM only.

Tell me if Im doing this wrong because its something I want to clear up as well but as far as I know : Hertz = BPM / 60

so

125bpm / 60 = 2.083333333333333 …reality adlib tracker at 50hz is not really 125bpm

or

120bpm / 60 = 2 …if 120bpm is a choice in reality adlib tracker it may be accurate?

Its the same problem with adlib tracker 2. Just gave me a massive headache until I gave up on adlib tracker. which is a shame because other than than it looks great.

RAD V2 uses the same BPM system as FastTracker II. As you say, Hertz = BPM / 60.

So 125 BPM / 60 = 2.0833333333 Hz. In order for RAD V2 to run at 125 BPM it needs to tick at an effective rate of 2.083333333 Hz.

To convert the Hertz value to a tick rate, we divide it into 1 second: 1 / 2.08333333 = .480 or 480 ms. (Note, we could have done this directly from the BPM value by doing: tick = 60 / BPM). So if we produce a beat every 480 ms we are running at 2.0833333 Hz.

RAD V2 by default runs at 50 Hz. This is a tick rate of 20 ms (1 / 50). The default playback speed is 6, so it ticks each line of the pattern on every sixth tick: 20ms * 6 = 120ms. Traditionally the beats in a tracker tune are placed on every fourth row: 120ms * 4 = 480ms.

So running at 50 Hz, with the default tracking speed of 6, with a beat on every fourth row, RAD V2 runs at exactly 125 BPM. As mentioned, this is the exact same principle used by FastTracker II.

There’s actually a much easier way of computing the Hertz value for trackers running at speed 6 with beats on every fourth row: Hertz = BPM / 2.5.

For example: 160 BPM / 2.5 = 64 Hz. To show that this works, let’s do the maths. 1 / 64 = 15.625ms * spd6 * 4 = 375ms. 60 / .375 = 160 BPM.

Unfortunately, due to rounding, RAD V2 currently can only accurately represent BPM values that are divisible by 2.5 (e.g. 115, 117.5, 120, 122.5, 125, …), but for those values, RAD V2 runs at that exact BPM rate (again, as long as the playback speed is 6, and you place beats on every fourth row). For V2.1 I will fix the rounding bug so all BPM values can be used.

That sounds very interesting.

Are you sure that it uses the same BPM system as fasttracker2?

I only ask because I use milkytracker, which is a fasttrackerII clone.

I do most songs at 140 BPM, and sample out into renoise with no problem at all.

There is no ‘drift’ in timing.

Milkytracker seems to do perfect 140 BPM - edit - O.K, so 140BPM is divisible by 2.5.

I’m pretty sure mikytracker does any BPM value perfectly, not only those divisible by 2.5?

I think the problem I was having with adlib tracker 2 is because it cant do an accurate 140BPM.

Id imagine Reality adlib tracker uses the same timing system as Adlib Tracker 2.

Are you sure all the maths is correct?

This timing problem is the same as other old school trackers and sequencers like LSDJ, nanoloop, famitracker etc.

I just wanted to let people know if they are planning to sample out from these old school trackers into modern software which uses accurate BPM timing, they will have a total headfuck later after having spent a lot of time learning those earlier tracker programs.

Sorry, I guess I didn’t make it obvious in my previous posts; I wrote RAD, this is why I know how it works. RAD V2 definitely uses the same BPM system as FastTracker II as that’s the model I went with when I added the BPM functionality to it. The BPM needing to be a multiple of 2.5 is only a RAD limitation, not MilkyTracker, and I expect this will be fixed for the next version of RAD.

I’m not sure why you think RAD and Adlib Tracker 2 use the same timing system - they’re completely unrelated products, other than both use OPL3 as targets.

If you doubt my math, you could always check FastTracker II’s own manual regarding the BPM setting:

The BPM setting defines how fast (ticks/second) the music player will run. 125 BPM<-> 50 Hz. Number of player ticks/second = BPM*2/5

RAD V2’s BPM setting is most definitely accurate, as long as you stick with a BPM value that’s a multiple of 2.5, use a speed setting of 6, and place your beats on every fourth row.

Sounds cool.

Useable BPMs will be

“any multiples of 5 or 10(2.5 is half of 5). also any of those numbers plus (or minus) 2.5.”

( if you are wanting to sample out from it into renoise later ).

I’m pretty sure milkytracker ( a fasttracker 2 clone ) can do any BPM perfectly, I might be wrong.

I like the sound of the ‘riff editor’. Much like tables in LittleGameParkTracker and LSDJ or phrases in renoise.

Thats a cool feature that you can use ‘set speed - Fxx’ in a ‘riff’ to get it running at 1 tick per line inside the riff, separate to the main ticks per line setting. Looks like a cool program. I think Ill try it. Sounds like you can get fat kick sounds and other nice sounds with it.

But why is the BPM only accurate in multiples of 2.5?

How come it isnt accurate at all BPM settings?

How does it render to .wav?

• TESTING -

O.K, I did a test on this track “WVCHILD.RAD”, the ‘speed’ setting is 2. The BPM is almost exactly, possibly exactly 136.5 BPM.

But why is the BPM only accurate in multiples of 2.5?

How come it isnt accurate at all BPM settings?

Because RAD rounds down the Hertz value to the nearest whole number when calculating from the BPM setting.

How does it render to .wav?

You can check the Quick-Help screen, but from memory I believe it’s Ctrl-W.

• TESTING -

O.K, I did a test on this track “WVCHILD.RAD”, the ‘speed’ setting is 2. The BPM is almost exactly, possibly exactly 136.5 BPM.

That’s correct. WVCHILD.RAD is a legacy “slow-timer” tune that runs at 18.2 Hz (as shown in the video to the right of the song title). Hertz = BPM * 2 / 5. 18.2 = 45.5 * 2 / 5. The speed is 2 which is three times faster than the default speed of 6, so the BPM is 45.5 * 3 or 136.5 BPM.

BTW. you’re showing RAD V1.1 in the video which does not support setting a BPM value.

Hertz = BPM * 2 / 5. 18.2 = 45.5 * 2 / 5. The speed is 2 which is three times faster than the default speed of 6, so the BPM is 45.5 * 3 or 136.5 BPM.

BTW. you’re showing RAD V1.1 in the video which does not support setting a BPM value.

Thanks. Looks like a cool program.

Just to be clear, you are saying

Hertz = BPM multiplied by 2 divided by 5?