Doofer device: add Parallel effect chains!

Probably not a new idea, I’d guess…

but while the Doofer currently is a generally useful device, it’s usefulness as a sound design tool would launch into outer space if it offered parallel chains.

This would work just like chains in an Ableton instrument / effect rack, for those familiar with Live.

It’s all pretty simple… just take the existing doofer chain as it currently works, and offer the ability to have more than one of them inside a Doofer.

As it currently stands, the serial-only routing of FX in the doofer makes them, well, nice but not exactly vital. Parallel routing would change that for sure :slight_smile:

-M

1 Like

Probably not a new idea, I’d guess…

but while the Doofer currently is a generally useful device, it’s usefulness as a sound design tool would launch into outer space if it offered parallel chains.

This would work just like chains in an Ableton instrument / effect rack, for those familiar with Live.

It’s all pretty simple… just take the existing doofer chain as it currently works, and offer the ability to have more than one of them inside a Doofer.

As it currently stands, the serial-only routing of FX in the doofer makes them, well, nice but not exactly vital. Parallel routing would change that for sure :slight_smile:

-M

also the only elegant way of doing parallel processing with vst’s …because im not using send channels to build a neuro bass patch jjj

it has been suggested in the forums so many times…doofer that can split and rejoin signal to parallel chains with send and multiband send…

my vision shows me: do it like the instrument FX…and instead of routing samples to each channel…you route signals to them, that are sent inside from the current channel, or sent into the doofer from other channels…

Neuro bass patch is so much easier with parallel processing…like layering strains of sounds for each band or depth lvl…but it will also make many other good standard things easier, with just the native effects or very simple VSTs…like multiband comp/dist, seperate wet reverb eq, mid/side processings, dry/wet controls over complicated chains…

my vision shows me: do it like the instrument FX…

IMVHO and in a perfect world, the entire track DSP chains system would be replaced with how it works in instruments. You would map tracks to effect chains just like you can currently map instrument samples to separate effect chains. Just like with instrument effect chains, Send Devices can send the signal to any effect chain that comes after it. Nothing is special about “Send tracks” any more, they’re just a receiving effect chain, of which you can have as many as you like. As a programmer (and I did write a soft synth once, 1100 bytes, it was), it did always bug me, we don’t like special cases, and “Send tracks” are like any other kind of routing, but they’re made “special”. I have since learned that this is a relic from routing in studio hardware.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter much :slight_smile: I’m 169% sure that the Renoise routing, processing and mixing pipeline is a hell of a complex beast and it would be nigh impossible to turn it around like that (and this is entirely understandable and nothing wrong with). More importantly, it would completely and utterly break backwards compatibility with earlier Renoise projects, the whole structure of a song would be different.