Copy and Paste Notes to new Track and VST

Hi all,

I’ve been struggling with copying and pasting notes from one track to another while trying to use separate vst instruments on separate tracks. In other words, I’m trying to assign two vst instruments to two different tracks while having each instrument playing the same notes or pattern (layering essentially).

I only have “note” checked in the content mask, and I get the same result with or without “auto capture instrument…” selected under options. No matter what I do, I can’t get the pasted notes on the second track to play from the vst that’s assigned to the second track. If I don’t copy and paste, and program notes per usual, I don’t get this problem.

So, what am I missing? Why does renoise insist on using track one’s vst to sound instruments on track two? Apologies if this has been covered; my searches didn’t turn up a solution.

Thanks!

if you don’t put anything in the instrument column it just plays the last one used in that column or instrument 00.

suggest you use the note swap option in advanced edit or get ledger’s Convert Instrument Numbers tool. unfortunately, i don’t think these work work where there is no instrument numbers entered (ig there is nothing to swap, so it make sense). fortunately, you don’t have to bother with filtering them.

Hi all,

I’ve been struggling with copying and pasting notes from one track to another while trying to use separate vst instruments on separate tracks. In other words, I’m trying to assign two vst instruments to two different tracks while having each instrument playing the same notes or pattern (layering essentially).

I hope to correctly understand your query.Try to follow the following steps:

1. Pattern Editor: compose all the notes of the first instrument on your first desired track (include all the pattern-tracks).For the moment, forget the second track.
  2. Matrix Editor: select all the pattern-tracks (all the column that contain your fist composed track).To do this, right click inside the track, select “Track” and “Select” or left click on the first upper box. After SHIFT + click on the lower box… The whole track should be marked.
  3. Matrix Editor: Copy all the selected track with the mouse.
  4. Matrix Editor: Paste all the selected track inside the new track with the mouse.
  5. Show the advanced pattern editor (right column in pattern editor), and select “Track in Song”.
  6. Advanced pattern editor: inside “Instruments”,change the values of the initial and final instrument that you want to change and press “Swap”.

Ready!You should have 2 equal tracks with the instrument values changed…

I must say that there must be tools that do these things much faster.I myself have been creating a tool that allows, among other things, to write the same note on separate tracks of different instruments (until 16).

Hello,

Thank you both very much for the replies. I’ll report back with my results this afternoon. These sound like promising solutions!

+1 to Raul’s response, doing what you want / need to do is really pretty easy!

Use the Matrix for quick copy+paste of the patterns,

Then jump over to the Advanced Edit and “Remap” the instrument! So if it was 00, just Remap it to 01, or whatever the appropriate instrument # is.

When it comes to copy+pasting content throughout your patterns, the Remap button in Advanced Editor will become your best friend! :slight_smile:

8041 Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 9.43.16 AM.png

(sorry, the tooltip is showing up over the actual remap button, but that’s the one you want – Remap)

Renoise is slightly more complex than other DAWs in that instruments / plugins are not “tied to” tracks the way they are in just about every single other DAW out there. So there is a little more to keep track of, in terms of “what’s playing where,” which is why this sort of instrument-remap is necessary when copying+pasting. Ultimately though, the detached approach affords more depth and flexibility!

cheers,

-M

Hi All, just wanted to confirm that this worked wonderfully! Phew… thank you all very much!

I also found this handy tool today. It made assigning plugins a breeze. Thanks again to all!

http://www.renoise.com/tools/convert-instrument-number

To make things even faster, skip the matrix part by right-clicking a track and choosing “Duplicate (incl. Patterns)”.

I also found this handy tool today. It made assigning plugins a breeze. Thanks again to all!

http://www.renoise.com/tools/convert-instrument-number

That does look slick, a lot of the time I want to change an instrument I’m not trying to swap or remap from one specific instrument to another – I just want to set the instrument number. Thanks for sharing! Of course, it’s helpful to have the more detailed power of advanced editor when I need it.