Do I need Guru or Xrules? Both? Neither?

So I’ve been setting up and using midi control devices to handle different CC parameters on my synths. For simple ones, like the VOLCAs, it’s great. Automating the CC changes is fun and easy.

But then there’s the DSI stuff… a lot of functionality I’d like to have control of is done through NRPN. Bank select, sequencer parameters, etc. I would like to be able to send these messages in songs.

So, as the title asks, Guru? Xrules? Both? Neither? Cats? Volvos? Cats in Volvos?!?!

Seriously, thanks.

You’re looking for output, not input I guess?

Currently, xRules does input, which it can transform to (internal or external) output - but it can’t pick up some command in the song and output that, as you would with a Instr. MIDI device.

I think Guru has the same limitation - perhaps someone can enlighten us here?

I don’t have synths that can run Guru patches so I never tried that tool.

Thanks for the heads up Danoise. You are correct that I am specifically trying to output nrpn messages from the sequence to hardware synths.

Now, I am certainly no programmer, and don’t understand LUA at all yet… but…

Would it be possible to send a CC message (that the synth doesn’t use) from the pattern to a tool that picks up that specific CC and uses it as a signal to send an nrpn message?

Example: Mopho doesn’t use CC 100. Is there a tool that can be set to “pick up” that CC 100 message and turn it into a “1011 nnnn 0010 0000 0vvvvvvv” message?

Once again, I am truly indebted to your assistance. Thank you.

Would it be possible to send a CC message (that the synth doesn’t use) from the pattern to a tool that picks up that specific CC and uses it as a signal to send an nrpn message?

That would be way more complex than having it defined through a Instr. Midi device, because with those guys a tool can “listen” for changes.

With the pattern, you need to scan for changes and, worse still, the timing would not be very precise.

But if implemented as a listener, timing would be good and the code wouldn’t need to be as complex.

Btw: if it sounds like Instr. MIDI device is always better then, there is one scenario in which MIDI pattern commands make sense:

when you define a value, it’s always being sent. This is unlike the device, where only_changes_are being transmitted.

And furthermore: I think it would be pretty awesome for xRules to be able to respond to “things” in Renoise - a lot could be achieved, which is currently not possible.

My other “live coding” tool - xStream - already has this ability, so it’s definitely possible to pull off technically speaking.

Awesome. I’m going to install Xrules and xstream and mess about. Think I’ll go spend some time in the LUA sub forum and see what I can learn.

Thanks again!