Photo

Sononym - Sample Browser

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Renoise Group discount (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in participating in a group discount (25-50% off the price)

1. Yes, and 25% off the price is OK for me [if not that many people are joining] (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Yes, count me in once we reach 50% off the price [we need enough people to join] (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. No, I will purchase it anyway - discount or not (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. No, I'm not prepared to pay anything at all (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6895 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted Yesterday, 16:48

If I scanned multiple dirs, it would be great if there was a parent node on the top of the dir list, so you can select all dirs at once... Or is this already possible?

Currently, any search is limited to a single library at a time. So, if you had scanned the topmost level you would get results from all folders below.
And in this case, selecting a subfolder would then restrict the search to that folder (and its subfolders), so this is probably what you want to do.

It's not that I don't understand your point, it's a valid one. But joining libraries on the fly is technically a bit hard to realize, so we skipped it for now.

About making the file invisible, this could indeed work on Unix based computers.
But on windows, you are asking for trouble because Explorer really doesn't like files that begin with a .dot
  • ffx likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#77 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, music, music ...

Posted Yesterday, 16:55

If I scanned multiple dirs, it would be great if there was a parent node on the top of the dir list, so you can select all dirs at once... Or is this already possible?

If I do a similarity search while the seconds dir is selected, will Sononym also look then into the first dir, too?

Same question for me. I'll have multiple libraries and whern i'm searching for a sample, it should search all libraries.

#78 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6895 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:59

@toimp: yes :-) But, see my answer above for why it doesn't.. at least, yet.

But something I forgot to mention (and that could easily be overlooked) is that the similarity source is preserved, carried over as you switch between libraries.
So if your samples are divided into multiple libraries, each one is no further away than a single click..
  • toimp likes this

#79 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 537 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:07

@danoise: Sorry missed this :) The reason why i've more than one library is that these sample folders are on different location. My main sample folder is on D:, Renoise samples are installed on C:. Loopcloud is on another folder on D:, Bitwig ones on C:, too. A global search would be pretty useful for this case.

Some Feature ideas:

* Hide empty folders in libraries

* Background playback (on/off via option)

* Randomize button, so the results are sorted randomly (check loopcloud)

* Moving the sononym.db somewhere into Appdata (i currently cant add some folders without admin rights are needed for creating these files. Renoise Resources folder for example.)

* Instead of several sononym.db files for each library, what about a single one? So global search would be possible. Or allow us to create a library, where we can add different folders of different locations to it.

Edited by toimp, Yesterday, 18:16.

#80 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6895 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:42

Questions? Keep'em coming :)

* Hide empty folders in libraries

Empty folders shouldn't show up in libraries. In fact, only folders containing audio should show up.
If you experience something else, this should be considered a bug!

* Background playback (on/off via option)

You mean, that playback continues from one to the next when done?

* Randomize button, so the results are sorted randomly (check loopcloud)

There is a randomized playback option. It's not shuffling the results but rather, picking a random, non-repeating result from the list.
To make it more interesting it also picks results with a tendency towards "more relevant" results when you have sorted by a category or is performing a similarity search
(in these scenarios, Sononym is more likely to pick results that are higher up the list..)

As for the folders-from-different hard-drives:
I'm not sure how much I should recommend this approach, BUT - we have ensured that Sononym actually has excellent symlink support.
So you could in theory create a special folder somewhere, and create symlinks to your various locations.

I'm hesitant because it always seems a bit like a workaround and even a bit dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
But I've got a test library that contains content from 3 different drives, and it has worked just fine on my system.

#81 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 537 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:12

Ok, i created a new folder with some junctions. Seems works great. Nice :) This could be a tutorial for your youtube channel.

About background playback. When a long sample is played and Sononym lost the focus, it stops the playback.

Never mind, i found an option in the menu. :)

About the empty folder, i was just confused. When a filter is active, it could be possible that a folder will be empty. Maybe these folders can be hided?

About random playback, missed the hidden shortcut, could be added as button, too :)

Edited by toimp, Yesterday, 20:35.

#82 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1775 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:13

My impressions, if I may share:

* No instant playback. 0.2s (?) delay is really bugging me. Has to be snappy IMO.

* Took me a couple of minutes to understand how to add files and make them searchable (= not via drag'n'drop). Libraries/collection/explore concepts aren't instantly obvious.

* Doesn't seem fully well trained for vocal sounds? I'm getting more irrelevant hits there, it seems. I guess it's getting tricked either by formant filters or "burring" (?) sounds.

* Seems great!

#83 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 537 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:05

Mhn, i cant mix class and categories. For example, "Claps" and "Loop" to get some looped clap samples. Is this a bug?

#84 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6895 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:15

Thanks joule!

* No instant playback. 0.2s (?) delay is really bugging me. Has to be snappy IMO.

Oh, this is definitely due to the (very) conservative "default" audio settings.
Head into preferences and dial it down all the way until you start to hear crackles on the test tone.
Or better still: use ASIO :-)

But you have a point - we should add a dialog, shown initially, pointing out that you might want to adjust these settings.

* Took me a couple of minutes to understand how to add files and make them searchable (= not via drag'n'drop). Libraries/collection/explore concepts aren't instantly obvious.

Indeed, the library is where the "meat" is. Unfortunately, you can't get there without first building a database - hence, the explorer.
But I could imagine that eventually, these things will fit more tightly together.

* Doesn't seem fully well trained for vocal sounds? I'm getting more irrelevant hits there, it seems. I guess it's getting tricked either by formant filters or "burring" (?) sounds.

Yes, vocals are indeed the hardest for a computer to tell apart - something we suspected would be tricky all along.
Refining the models have been a continuous process, which involves refining the training data, measuring test results, gathering feedback, etc. It's a long and time consuming process.
The biggest improvements usually arrive as we identify some "obvious" and well-defined category... because then, these sounds won't end up elsewhere :)
It's always going to be a bit fuzzy, though - which is also why we've made it possible for a sample to be "on the fence" (belong to one, two or even more categories at the same time).  

Mhn, i cant mix class and categories. For example, "Claps" and "Loop" to get some looped clap samples. Is this a bug?

Not a bug, but perhaps missing functionality. As things are now, a sample can be classified in four different ways:

* Loop
* Oneshot
* Loop/Oneshot
* Oneshot/Loop

When both classes are present, the first one is the primary class (this is also made clear by the text being brighter)
And, (this is what you're looking for) currently a "pure" Loop does not display a category, while the other 3 are able to.

So, while you can actually select the "Claps" category and get some loops, they will be Oneshot/Loops as things are currently working.
But it does indeed make sense for simple, well defined loops. Note taken :)

#85 kytdkut

kytdkut

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted Today, 02:42

nice! really liking it so far :)

one small issue though, on linux I can't seem to be able to drag & drop from sononym to renoise (nor redux)

I don't think this is related to my WM, I can dnd to reaper (native) and even to a reasamplomatic5000 instance

#86 Skyscape

Skyscape

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted Today, 04:49

Looks great from the vid, looking forward to trying it out. Just a heads up google autocorrects 'sononym' to 'synonym' by default when you search for it - so if someone searches for 'sononym sample browser' they get hits for synonims of browser on thesaurus.com - just something to think about for SEO etc.

• danoise, Djeroek and Veggies like this

#87 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6895 posts

Posted Today, 09:54

one small issue though, on linux I can't seem to be able to drag & drop from sononym to renoise (nor redux)

Hm, this _should_ work but we test only with a couple of Linux distros.
Which one are you using, if I might ask?

google autocorrects 'sononym' to 'synonym' by default when you search for it

Haha, yes. We've basically picked a fight against auto-correction! I guess we have no choice but to teach Google (et al) that 'sononym' is now a thing.
We have won the SEO battle though - once you manage to convince the search engine that yes, you really did mean what you wrote, we are among the first few results :-)

#88 kytdkut

kytdkut

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted Today, 14:03

Hm, this _should_ work but we test only with a couple of Linux distros.
Which one are you using, if I might ask?

Sure, I'm using Arch Linux. Any other info I could give to ease troubleshooting?

#89 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6895 posts

Posted Today, 14:52

@kytdkut: not for now, no. Just knowing the distro will be very helpful, I'm sure.

#90 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6895 posts

Posted Today, 15:15

i want my discount  :badteethslayer:

I want my discount MTV!! 

Ehhh...wait. 

Here's the deal: if you scroll up this page, I've now attached a poll which will let us gauge the interest for a group discount: 

It works like this: if many people indicate that they are strongly interested (replying yes), you will be able to purchase a Sononym at up to half the price. 

"Less than many" (I dunno, 50 people or less..) will only yield a discount of 75%. But then, the good thing is that that's pretty much guaranteed to happen. 

Basically: if you're interested you can spread the word ( == annoy your tracker friends) and you're more likely to save money yourself.

Sounds great, eh?  :D

Edit: and no rush, we'll keep this poll open for a while. As in, at least a week and probably more. 

Edited by danoise, Today, 15:22.

• Type-A likes this

#91 Beatslaughter

Beatslaughter

• Normal Members
  • 2307 posts
  • Interests:Music, Blu-ray, PC Games

Posted Today, 15:41

... will only yield a discount of 75%:unsure:  But then, the good thing is that that's pretty much guaranteed to happen.

#92 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted Today, 16:07

... will only yield a discount of 75%:unsure:  But then, the good thing is that that's pretty much guaranteed to happen.

It is probably a mistake. It is clear that it refers to a 25% discount and a 50% discount. That is 75% of the price or 50% of the price.

• Type-A likes this

:excl: Development of my tools: KangarooX120SamRenderPhraseTouch  |  GT16-Colors (old)

:excl: My API wishlist R3.1 (updated 24 July 2017):

Spoiler

:excl: My Renoise 3.1 wishlist (updated 26 September 2017):

Spoiler

#93 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 537 posts

Posted Today, 18:02

Found a small bug with umlauts:

Lx95SP8.png

I've currently ~105.000 samples indexed. Starting Sononym takes a while. Maybe you guys can improve the loading time abit? Resetting filters also takes 1-2 seconds, because of the amount of samples.

Is the list fully added to the DOM? Maybe this is the reason why. There are some clever javascript libs out there, which only render current visible list items.

Does sononym see new samples and folders by itself? I know i can do a refresh, but with this amount of samples, it takes some time.