New Tool (3.1): Selection To BPM

Hello Renoisers!

Here goes upload of short calculator useful in a situation that there is loop of unknown BPM in a sample editor and we want to know it’s BPM.

In such a case you download the tool, install it, then select one beat length in a loop by selection range in sample editor and click on the tempo button in a tool. Tool will automatically convert length of the beat into BPM, respecting main instrument transposition, current sample transposition and finetuning as well as sampling frequency.

For improving precision of conversion you may select range of two, four, eight beats and so on, to get it calculated even better.

At the first drop the tool automatically takes full length of sample as the beat length.

According to ceejay wish, you can now drop the tempo back to Renoise by pressing “Set song BPM” button.

Also x2 and :2 buttons are added for adjusting beat division in case that 178BPM tempo was measured as 89BPM or so.

Another thing is set sample BPM to song, which works similar to Renoise’s Beat-Sync, the number of beats doesn’t have to be known though. It’s enough when we know it’s number per minute.

Cheers and have fun!

—> LINK TO THE TOOL PAGE <—

1 Like

wheres the link :slight_smile:

It would look pathetic - having just one button for tool and giant link to the website, so I skipped it. :slight_smile:

You mean link to the tool page?

Hmmm…

http://www.renoise.com/tools/selectiontobpm

There’s attachment in main post, so you may download from here too.

OK. The link added. :slight_smile:

new tools !! :slight_smile: bring’m!

thanks for this nifty one!

Quick bug report: A selection that is one (1) sample long causes the tool to hang.

I can tell you now, it’s 161BPM. :slight_smile: Why it hangs? IDK. I think it is that the float precision is to low and it rounds up 1/samplerate to zero. I will rebuild equation putting multiplications first and divisions at the end of it. It should work. I will try later today.

I’ve noticed it too.

May be that one sample selection has zero length or something. I will check it out shortly.

Yeah. Selection one sample long has zero length according to Renoise. Here’s fixed tool again:

And one sample long is 175BPM for 96kHz samplerate.

Is there something else that supposed to happen other than it telling me the bpm of the loop?

Yeah. You can close it with window close gadget in right top corner.

Wow wit. I didn’t intend to sound like I wanted it to do more but your description was ambiguous to me and I had the impression you meant it changed the sample like warping.

Uhm. It’s done already by Suva and his Rubberband Tool. No reason to duplicate each other. There’s change tempo function in his tool. You can measure current tempo of loop with my tool, put the measurement result into his tool and apply stretch to desired BPM. If you apply it on chunks of sample it can work like warping that you want.

Very useful one. Thanks!

Could you please add a button to set detected tempo to a song tempo (or ctrl-click tool button to set song tempo) ?

(or just auto-copy detected tempo value to a clipboard, so user be able manually add it to song tempo settings)

Uhm. It’s done already by Suva and his Rubberband Tool. No reason to duplicate each other. There’s change tempo function in his tool. You can measure current tempo of loop with my tool, put the measurement result into his tool and apply stretch to desired BPM. If you apply it on chunks of sample it can work like warping that you want.

That’s fine and very useful. I wasn’t asking or expecting it be anything else, just looking for clarification.

Very useful one. Thanks!

Could you please add a button to set detected tempo to a song tempo (or ctrl-click tool button to set song tempo) ?

(or just auto-copy detected tempo value to a clipboard, so user be able manually add it to song tempo settings)

Aye aye, sir! Button added. You wish is my command. Have fun.

8061 SelectionToBPM_v03.xrnx

That’s fine and very useful. I wasn’t asking or expecting it be anything else, just looking for clarification.

Cheers, I was confused at first sight, now we got it.

Cool! Thanks a lot for your effort)

You’re welcome. Little buttons added in case that measured tempo was twice greater than expected or smaller.

For ceejay’s wish the button for setting sample tempo to song tempo is added too.

Here it goes:

8066 SelectionToBPM_v05.xrnx

Bugfix.

8068 SelectionToBPM_v06.xrnx