First song with Renoise

First song made with Renoise that I think I like. I would be greatly indebted to anyone offering constructive criticism. It doesn’t sound as “glued” as I’d like… I still have a lot to learn. Sorry about Google link, I need to figure out soundcloud.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n1wLuZPhFG4yacqb-fs7iCgmcx9iv-W_/view?usp=drivesdk

Hi,

Nice track!! I really like the synthesizer work and melodies. I’m also fascinated that this is your first song with Renoise and yet you have such variations in your beats. As far as the track not sounding, “glued,” it is a little bit of a weird mix. I think spending some time in the Renoise song forums and listening to how other users pan, eq, and compress things should help you quite a bit!!

Good luck with Soundcloud

Cheers

I think you have some nice textures, but overall the piece lacks coherence. I don’t sense any melodic structure. That is, my mind is trying to find rhythmic and chordal continuity but there are a lot of tonal and rhythmic changes interrupting it. Too busy. Too abstract in a sense.

So, as you say, it lacks “glue”. My suggestion, derive a good underlying beat and/or some recognizable chordal structure, less texturing. You don’t have to create a “formula” piece, but a bit more structure goes a long ways.

Cheers and keep working!

@2 daze j: thank you for your criticism. The “variation in beats” (I hope that’s a good thing) comes from making a lot of music in bands and electronically. It’s my first renoise song, but I used to sequence on an MPC60. I have been paying attention in the song forums, but sometimes need to ask more questions…

@The_Traveler: thanks to you also for your input. I appreciate what you’re saying and heed your advice. I’ve been struggling to even finish a piece without binning it. It is, to my ears, simplistic… which I don’t always equate as a bad thing. But you’re right, its two chords on repeat in the background. The busy part I find funny, as I tried to keep it “mellow” in my mind. :slight_smile: i will sit on your comments like an egg and see what hatches.

Much obliged.

Nice sounding here, only the hihats sound very decoupled, in timing and volume, maybe just make it much much quieter? To let hihats not sound so statical, a cheap is to duck it by kick. Well, if you are lazy like me.

Nice sounding here, only the hihats sound very decoupled, in timing and volume, maybe just make it much much quieter? To let hihats not sound so statical, a cheap is to duck it by kick. Well, if you are lazy like me.

I like your suggestions. I just have to figure out how to duck the hats with the kick. The song is using two different drum machines that don’t have individual outputs. Not sure how to duck the hats (upper freqs) without affecting the snares and kicks. Multiband tool? Not even sure how to use it yet… learning, learning, learning…