New Tool (3.1.1): PhraseTouch v1.3 build 089

About PhraseTouch

PhraseTouch is an extensive complement for Renoise (v3.1.1 and future versions) created by ulneiz , that allows the multiple trigger of notes and phrases (simultaneously), among many other things, by deploying up to 16 panels of notes. It is compatible with OSC Server , has its own keyboard commands and is widely compatible with MIDI Input. It includes a elaborated Step Sequencer (16 or 32 steps), and a panel of 32 or 64 pads for favorite routed notes, FavTouch , specially designed for MIDI Pad controllers.

8056 PhraseTouch_Wallpaper_32bit.png

It is focused on the use of phrases , the previous listening of instruments (with samples) and VSTi plugins (VST instruments) and for live recording. With it is possible to create rhythms , chords or combine phrases at the same time. You can use the Step Sequencer to previous listening and find your favorite sound textures. It can be very fun!

How to start?

PhraseTouch integrates a User Guide in HTML format. Download and install this tool and press the button “?” to access it. Please, read this User Guide carefully to learn how to use it! Please, pay a lot of attention to section 4 “How to start? Previous considerations…” of the User Guide. It is advisable that you follow these guidelines to get the best experience… Enjoy it!

8060 1_1.png

PhraseTouch download

PhraseTouch is available in the tools section at www.renoise.com:

1. First version (May 2018), PhraseTouch v1.0.084 (old)
  2. Next version(May 2018), PhraseTouch v1.1.085 : (old)
  3. Next version(May 2018), PhraseTouch v1.2.086 : (old)
  4. Recent version(June 2018), PhraseTouch v1.3.089 :http://www.renoise.com/tools/phrasetouch
Click to view contents

Updates & bug fixes

In case that any user finds an error or bug, or suggestion to improve this tool, let it know in the forum of the PhraseTouch tool…

First release (May 2018): PhraseTouch v1.0.084

Update release (May 2018): PhraseTouch v1.1.085

Modified PhraseTouch: retired 2 notifiers for higher initial load (during loading of the tool).

Added PhraseTouch: panic included in stop button (stops the sound of the tool and the song), even when the song is stopped.

Modified PhraseTouch: behavior of the general buttons ALL, SUS and P/R.

Added FavTouch: activated the sound when import favorite notes when ALL, SUS and P/R are disabled).

Modified User Guide: updated the related information.

Update release (May 2018): PhraseTouch v1.2.086

Modified PhraseTouch + Step Sequencer: Improved synchronization for the “Play” keyboard command [Ctrl + Space] between the pattern and the Step Sequencer for live recording.

Added Step Sequencer: new Time Calculator to synchronize the playback of the pattern with the Step Sequencer for live recording.

Added/modified PhraseTouch: Review of keyboard commands and new commands added.

Added to all: Included the names of commands inside the tooltips.

Update release (June 2018): PhraseTouch v1.3.089

Added PhraseTouch: now includes track selection control and instrument selection control via MIDI Input.

Modified PhraseTouch: review of some link controls for MIDI Input.

Added PhraseTouch + FavTouch: compatibility of “soft takeover” to faders, 270 degree turn knobs, popups and valueboxes, all for MIDI input.

Added PhraseTouch: Advanced Editor Panel (AEP) with new controls for horizontal and vertical edition of notes/rows (copy/move/swap…). Includes new keyboard commands.

Modified to all: change of “renoise.song()” locals to global unique.

8059 1_2.gif

Thank you all!

I want to thank the following members of the forums: 4Tey , joule , afta8 , ffx , danoise and dblue for his help during these last months… And a very special thanks to Circe , for his great help with the concept of the tool, the construction of phrases, information about chords and the test sessions. Thank you so much!

Have fun!!!

3 Likes

WoooooooW !
Really big thanks !
Cheers

WoooooooW !
Really big thanks !
Cheers

Thanks you!!! Enjoy it!!!

WOW !! This seems to be avery useful tool ! :dribble:

Thank you Raul for all your hard work !

I’ll try this one out ASAP.

Impressive there is probably a lot of work behind it
With a midi foodboard, PhraseTouchseems to be a guitar heaven :drummer:

thnx !

Wow! Just. Wow! And it has it’s own user guide too?! Man, I’m going to have a lot of fun exploring this! Tools like this serve to enlarge my view of the possible. :slight_smile:

THIS is what I really love about this community. Innovation and sharing. Renoise can be extended in so many ways …

Thanks Raul for your hard work and kudos to the folks who contributed time and info to helping you!

Cheers.

1 Like

WOW !! This seems to be avery useful tool ! :dribble:

Thank you Raul for all your hard work !

I’ll try this one out ASAP.

Thanks!!!

Learn how to use the Step Sequencer by selecting the notes in the PhraseTouch. It is fun! I use it a lot to quickly test progressions with VSTi plugins.

Impressive there is probably a lot of work behind it
With a midi foodboard, PhraseTouchseems to be a guitar heaven :drummer:

thnx !

Thanks you!!!

Yes,The tool goes deep into the topic of being able to play multiple instruments routed to multiple tracks triggered from the same button. If you use a 61-key MIDI keyboard with multiple channels, at least 16 MIDI channels, and also a MIDI pad controller with 64 pads to map the FavTouch, you can control many things in a very specific way, even for multi-track recording instruments at the same time, no need to touch Renoise.

At first it may be hard to understand how to control everything. But once understood, it is quite easy. With knowing how to route the track and the instrument in each notes panel, as all the notes panels are identical, it is simpler than it seems.

By the way, with the Step Sequencer you can make guitar progressions by accelerating the Play + Wait times. It had not occurred to me to use it with guitar, whether with percussion, wind or string. An accelerated electric guitar would sound great.Once you discover your idea of melodic progression, you can record it in the pattern editor, and if it is not possible, at least you have the idea to compose it manually…

Wow! Just. Wow! And it has it’s own user guide too?! Man, I’m going to have a lot of fun exploring this! Tools like this serve to enlarge my view of the possible. :slight_smile:

THIS is what I really love about this community. Innovation and sharing. Renoise can be extended in so many ways …

Thanks Raul for your hard work and kudos to the folks who contributed time and info to helping you!

Cheers.

@The_Traveler, thanks!!! I recognize that PhraseTouch reaches the limits of what is possible to control. I suppose that the idea of controlling several instruments at the same time may be a little too big for some, but with proper restraint you can do very interesting things related to multiple control (especially if you exploit to the maximum the MIDI input). It also has an important detail a little hidden, which is the ability to shoot complex chords from a single note button. The Oct X and Master buttons are magical here. I just hope that whoever installs the tool has enough patience to understand the concept and know how to exploit it.

You can also have long hours of fun learning PhraseTouch and its capabilities :).I guess you already know that I’ve been very persistent asking questions in the scripting forums, and there have been kind people helping with their answers. This allows us to keep going and not send everything to shit.

Personally, I had a lot of fun building this tool. Imagine starting with a blank canvas, without a line of code, and finally getting this. The contrast is wonderful!

Some small but important advise.

Anything put in the “global” scope of the tool will be executed when loading Renoise. The tool is now causing some additional start-up time for Renoise, even if you do not “start” it (open the gui). I think some of it can be avoided. The couple of notifiers being executed are probably quite harmless, but I believe the issue would be fixed easily by putting any creation of Viewbuilder objects inside functions. Those are probably the culprits.

Try putting those inside functions and call/return them on a need-to-use basis.

Some small but important advise.

Anything put in the “global” scope of the tool will be executed when loading Renoise. The tool is now causing some additional start-up time for Renoise, even if you do not “start” it (open the gui). I think some of it can be avoided. The couple of notifiers being executed are probably quite harmless, but I believe the issue would be fixed easily by putting any creation of Viewbuilder objects inside functions. Those are probably the culprits.

Try putting those inside functions and call/return them on a need-to-use basis.

True! I will investigate this matter to solve it. I have been very persistent in avoiding notifiers type _observable. In the whole tool there are only 2 of this type, and they are just what you mention.

The first _observable is to update the status of the Edit Mode button, which updates 3 equal buttons of 3 different windows. The second is to update the status of the Play button in a single window. I may have to divide these 2 functions into more dedicated functions for each case.

However, these _observables should not return any noticeable restraint. But, it is very good advice to envolve them up to have more control over them.

Thanks!Probably in the next version it will be solved…

PhraseTouch updated to the version v1.1.085:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-1-phrasetouch-v1-3-build-089/49205

PhraseTouch updated to the version v1.2.086:http://forum.renoise…85/#entry369834

Among other fixes, I have added a " Time Calculator"for the Step Sequencer.It looks like this:

8069 7_1.gif

Thus it is possible to count the duration of several lines to synchronize them with each step.It even allows to calculate the duration of a pattern, according to the number of lines.

The keyboard commands have been reviewed. Now the tool is already working very fine, and the step sequencer can already deal with the issue of synchronizing in some way with the playback of the patterns for live recording.The control of time, or rather the synchronization between a tool and Renoise is always a very difficult task!

This is dope! I’ve always wanted something like this in Renoise. Thanks for taking the time to develop this killer project! It takes Renoise to a new level of awesome!

This is dope! …

Thank you very much! Curious way to define it.

PhraseTouch is more than it might seem once you see it installed together with Renoise, or you read the user guide. It is a magnificent complement for MIDI peripherals, which acts as a bridge between them and Renoise through OSC.

Possibly the PhraseTouch name confuses many people, who will think that it is another tool to deal with Renoise’s phrases. But it’s not like that. It is focused to create Phrases, compose Phrases inside a pattern, chords, by shooting multiple notes or controlling several instruments at the same time with easily instrument-track routing. In addition, it has things that allow you to easily manipulate the phrases (XRNZ) of Renoise, which is something else. All together, can give you many hours of fun. Renoise acquires another dimension with PhraseTouch, allowing the multiple control of instruments. This facilitates many combinations, some quite complicated that could even vitiate you as a musician :slight_smile:

Personally, I am using PhraseTouch along with several VSTi and I am having a lot of fun! :smiley:

I feel stupid, but what exactly does this tool do? :slight_smile:

I feel stupid, but what exactly does this tool do? :slight_smile:

Really, the tool does nothing.However, the user can do many things with it.But it is not something that can be summarized in a comment.But hey, one of the things you can do is the multiple control of routed notes. Maybe this interests you. Imagine that you touch a single button, and Renoise magically writes several notes, on several tracks at once, without moving the cursor.Imagine being able to shoot several phrases in a single action.Imagine that the tool also has a step sequencer. I suppose you’ve heard about what this is.

You only have to read the User Guide integrated, or a piece of it. See the images and imagine what you can do. You have 16 panels of notes that you can route to tracks and specific instruments. And you can preview the sounds without recording anything.You can also play with chords, configure your MIDI Input, or use FavTouch to trigger favorite notes routed.

Stop feeling stupid. Install the tool and handle it!If you do not see it useful, you can uninstall it later :lol:.After your comment, it was me who felt stupid to develop a user guide. My English is not very good, but I think I’ve done a great job with him.Give the tool a chance and a little patience. When you understand it, you may not want to uninstall it.

If at the end you think the tool is garbage, nothing happens. Unfortunately, we do not all think the same, nor how to approach a specific tool.

Also, If you do not have fun with her, try to find a gem (read section 5.7 of the user guide: 5.7. A lost treasure: find the gem!.. ).The tool has a hidden panel that is activated “magically” by activating a specific control. Trust me, it is there. If in the end you get bored by not understanding the tool, maybe you’ll have fun with this.Probably, this panel will grow in the future.

Those who feel stupid are the ones who in the end have the most fun! :smiley:

1 Like

PhraseTouch updated to the version v1.3.089:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-1-phrasetouch-v1-3-build-089/49205

By the way, I forgot to mention a detail for all those interested in the PhraseTouch tool.This tool is also compatible with the tool " ~Find Tool Updates…"available from the “Help” tab of Renoise (obviously, you need to have it installed and activated).

In this way, you do not need to download the new versions of the PhraseTouch tool from the tool download section at www.renoise.com. You can use the tool “~Find Tool Updates…” to update it!

The new version v1.3.089 of PhraseTouch includes, among other interesting things, a drastic change that influences the entire code, converting all local song = renoise.song() of all functions into a single global “song” (any tool programmer will know what I’m talking about).In theory, all the code is well tied, without any problem. You can use the new PhraseTouch version with complete confidence. But please, if you detect any unexpected code error (something that should be very strange), do not hesitate to comment here to solve it quickly.

If you want to be informed of the news of each version, display the spoiler of the following link:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-1-phrasetouch-v1-3-build-089/49205

On the other hand, if you have any suggestions that you would like PhraseTouch to include, you can also comment to me here…

Enjoy!

2 Likes

So I am starting to understand the benefits of using this tool. Now as I want to do some midi editing I am wondering if it is possible to get some visual feedback on my launchpad?

Is it possible to for example highlight the phrases activated on the midi controller?